Waffenrocket Pattern: A Tabard-Like Garment for 15th/16th German SCA Fighters

  • Genoveva von Lubeck
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29 8:55 AM
      This is a very SCA-specific garment, hence my post here rather than over at GermenRenCostume!

      Basically my guy, Gregor, is a fighter and really likes tabards because they're easy to make, easy to wear, and cover up non-period armor nicely. Only problem is that his persona doesn't wear tabards -- Germans wore wams (doublet), lederwams (leather vest), hosen, and waffenrock (arming dress). Wams and lederwams are too short for what we need here â€" we want to cover the upper legs, too. Gregor has a waffenrock, but his is very fitted and takes much too long to get in and out of on his own, which he has to do frequently. It’s also very heavy and hot. And it doesn’t adjust well to different shapes and layers of armor underneath it.

      So together we came up with an idea of a simpler, sleeveless waffenrock that functions like a tabard. We’re calling it the Waffenrocket (no, not a real word!) â€" because it’s like a Waffenrock but faster to make and faster to get on and off. This design is not period, as far as we can tell, but it looks good and behaves like a tabard in that you can just toss it over whatever you’re wearing.

      So if you have a German persona and wish for something easy to wear at practice or in battle, check out our free pattern and instructions at:

      http://germanrenaissance.net/waffenrock-tabard-design-for-sca-fighters-the-waffenrocket/

      Genoveva
      http://GermanRenaissance.net
    • fabian_von_sandhausen
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30 9:50 AM
        I don't mind if my garb is more "generic period" than "authentic persona". It's just clothes, and although I've chosen that persona for a specific reason, due to the tightness around certain areas of the body I've chosen a different type of pants already.

        So I don't think a tabard is a problem. I've already broken the rules once regarding persona specific garb. All I need is something generic medieval for the time being and will probably use a tabard unless/until I start getting more serious about authenticity.

        --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Genoveva von Lubeck" <genovevavonlubeck@...> wrote:

        > This is a very SCA-specific garment, hence my post here rather than over at GermenRenCostume!

        (Snipped by mod. Trim your replies!)
      • Joan Silvertoppe
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2013
          On Apr 29, 2013, at 8:55 AM, Genoveva von Lubeck wrote:

          > So together we came up with an idea of a simpler, sleeveless waffenrock that functions like a tabard. We���re calling it the Waffenrocket (no, not a real word!) ��" because it���s like a Waffenrock but faster to make and faster to get on and off.

          I have to admit, I did snicker at the name waffenrocket. But that looks very nice and gives the very landsknecht feel without the bulk for fighting in (having made a waffenrock for a captain, I understand the issues). Nice job!

          Joan