Re: [SCA-Garb] Wash linen at what setting before cutting?

  • Kathy
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 2, 2013
      I wash my cotton and linen fabrics on gentle cycle with warm wash/cold rinse with Dawn dish soap and throw them in the dryer at medium heat. I always wash before I cut, because I would rather it would shrink before and not after I've made a garment. I wash it the same way when the piece needs it and I've never had any problems. But do sew the edges to prevent fraying as another one here suggested- it saves a great deal of trouble.

      <<How much is this treatment likely to shrink the linen? Will it damage the linen in any way?>>

    • Diane
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 4, 2013
        When I was spinning and weaving, I was told to wet and freeze the linen first and then drop it into boiling water to really abuse and shrink it. I believe it is supposed to soften it up as the freezing opens the gaps between fibres so the water and soap get in quickly.
        I was also told that traditionally the white linen was bleached by lying in the sun and then redampening, drying.... repeat until the required shade is reached. I haven't actually done either, but the ladies who gave me this advice were the top of their skill base in NZ.
        Claricia