Re: [SCA-Garb] vinegar (was Re: Wash linen at what ... )

  • Joan Silvertoppe
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 25, 2013
      On Feb 25, 2013, at 5:59 AM, Sayyeda al-Kaslaania wrote:

      > The vinegar changes the pH during the wash so the wool fibers are less
      > likely to open up their scales and grab on to each other.

      I learn something new every day. :-) Thank you Sayyeda and Rashid.

      Joan

    • Diane
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 4, 2013
        When I was spinning and weaving, I was told to wet and freeze the linen first and then drop it into boiling water to really abuse and shrink it. I believe it is supposed to soften it up as the freezing opens the gaps between fibres so the water and soap get in quickly.
        I was also told that traditionally the white linen was bleached by lying in the sun and then redampening, drying.... repeat until the required shade is reached. I haven't actually done either, but the ladies who gave me this advice were the top of their skill base in NZ.
        Claricia