Re: [SCA-Garb] Wash linen at what setting before cutting?

  • Billie Finch
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 23, 2013
      also turn under the edges before you wash it becaust it makes a big mess of you washer and you fabric if it frays in the wash.I forgot once and  messed up my fabric. Now I alway turn under and stitch the cut ends before washing.

      From: rosamond_playfayre <jlutz@...>
      (Snipped by mod. Trim your posts!)

      How much is this treatment likely to shrink the linen? Will it damage the linen in any way?

      Thanks, J. Marie

    • Diane
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 4, 2013
        When I was spinning and weaving, I was told to wet and freeze the linen first and then drop it into boiling water to really abuse and shrink it. I believe it is supposed to soften it up as the freezing opens the gaps between fibres so the water and soap get in quickly.
        I was also told that traditionally the white linen was bleached by lying in the sun and then redampening, drying.... repeat until the required shade is reached. I haven't actually done either, but the ladies who gave me this advice were the top of their skill base in NZ.
        Claricia