Pinkiing dies wanted

  • meldysmail
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
      Hi All,
      Does anyone know where I can get "pinking dies" for making a punched fabric doublet for a woman?
      I have some lovely light weight grey ultra suede that i thought of pinking (to dissapate any heat factors) and adding a color contrast behind the pinked panels for color.
      Thanks ahead of time ,
      melody
    • Jeanne W
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
        Would something like this serve?

        http://www.joann.com/olfa-rotary-pinking-spare-blade-45mm/prd12595/

        (Fiskars has similar blades)

        Jeanne White in Southern Wisconsin (USA)

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
          On Feb 6, 2013, at 1:45 PM, meldysmail wrote:

          > where I can get "pinking dies"

          There used to be a blacksmith that sold them, but he went out of business. Most folks now suggest either finding a blacksmith who can create them for you, using leather punches and chisels, using X-acto knifes, rotary cutters or even sharpened screwdrivers.

          Joan

          Lady Joan Silvertoppe
          A Gentlewoman's Accounts http://www.kimiko1.com

          Tudor Lady's Wardrobe pattern.
          http://www.margospatterns.com/Products/TudorLady.html

        • Scott Inman 1
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
            I have a bottle of RIT liquid pink dye I'm not using. Where can I send it if you want it?
            --
            Scott

            Does anyone know where I can get "pinking dies" for making a punched fabric doublet for a woman?
            (snipped by mod. trim your posts.)

          • Charles
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
              The problem with that is it would be SO easy to cut more than you wanted to. The idea with Elizabethan pinking is to cut small rows of pinked slashes at angles to each other to form a pattern. If you do it with a wheel and cut too far, you will end up removing chunks of fabric by mistake.

              Rashid

              ,
              > Does anyone know where I can get "pinking dies" for making a punched fabric
              > doublet for a woman?
            • otsisto
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 7, 2013
                By what you are describing you seem to be talking about slashing and not
                pinking as usually you do not see a different color fabric underneath as the
                cuts are small but I am probably wrong.

                Slashing
                http://www.lynnmcmasters.com/photo01.html

                This woman says that this is pinking and you can see a different color
                underneath. To me it looks like cutwork.
                http://tinyurl.com/a4fe3dg

                This sleeve is pinked on each section.
                http://tinyurl.com/b2qhqdc

                This is what I have come to understand as pinking in SCA period.
                http://tinyurl.com/a4yzc7n

                Tandy Leather used to carry punches but I haven't dealt with them in years.
                You might want to check their website and see if they have something you can
                use. Otherwise there are some scissors that are real pointy and designed for
                small delicate embroidery work, such as very fine cutwork.

                De

                Does anyone know where I can get "pinking dies" for making a punched fabric
                doublet for a woman?
                (snipped by mod. trim your posts.)
              • Shawn M. Davis
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 7, 2013
                  I have always wondered what pinking shears were for. Now I know. Thanks for
                  posting the link!

                  Sadb Hálsdóttir

                  Glyn Dwfn MoAS

                  aka Shawn Davis

                    > This woman says that this is pinking and you can see a different color underneath. To me it looks like cutwork.
                    > http://tinyurl.com/a4fe3dg

                    I get the feeling this lady is miss reading the painting...
                    From what I understand from reading Janet Arnold, many garments had an extra layer of padding and in my opinion, that is why the openings appear so prominent in the paining, not because they were opened by cutting out material - just my opinion.

                    > This sleeve is pinked on each section.
                    > http://tinyurl.com/b2qhqdc

                    I think that's a pant leg, but the pinking less pronounced than in the skirt of the doublet near the top of the image; maybe the pants weren't padded?

                    > This is what I have come to understand as pinking in SCA period.
                    > http://tinyurl.com/a4yzc7n

                    This is similar to what I have seen in the Janet Arnold book and other photos of existing garments from period.

                    Just my thoughts...

                    Silvester
                  • otsisto
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 8, 2013
                      Known as the pre fray check and don't have enough to turn under edge
                      treatment. :) Note: they are a pain in the rear end to sharpen.