Collard Corset/Doublet

  • Dee
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2013
      Does anyone know of where I can find a pattern for an exaggerated high collared womens corset/doublet? A free download would be perfect but a regular pattern is above fine also. I have exhausted my search ;)
      Thanks
    • Joan Silvertoppe
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2013
        On Feb 3, 2013, at 8:49 AM, Dee wrote:

        > an exaggerated high collared womens corset/doublet

        Are you looking for a corset or for a doublet? Historical corsets don't have collars unless they are a modern custom pattern.

        Joan

        Lady Joan Silvertoppe
        A Gentlewoman's Accounts http://www.kimiko1.com

        Tudor Lady's Wardrobe pattern.
        http://www.margospatterns.com/Products/TudorLady.html

      • cassandra_kingswear
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
          Patterns of Fashion by Janet Arnold has a lovely corseted doublet in it. It is covered with couched embroidery and has big shoulder rolls. Her patterns are not the easiest things to make useable patterns from since they are taken from extent clothing. Simplicity has a modern knock off but I haven't tried it.
          Mistress Cassandra of Kingswear

          --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Dee" wrote:

          > Does anyone know of where I can find a pattern for an exaggerated high collared womens corset/doublet? A free download would be perfect but a regular pattern is above fine also. I have exhausted my search ;)
          > Thanks

        • Joan Silvertoppe
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
            On Feb 4, 2013, at 6:04 AM, cassandra_kingswear wrote:

            > Patterns of Fashion by Janet Arnold has a lovely corseted doublet in it.

            Color me confused by the term then but I thought this was just a doublet that is most likely a woman's doublet (although a friend of mine, a man, wore a copy of it once). Why is it a "corseted doublet"?

            Joan

          • Charles
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
              Perhaps they mean one with boning.

              Rashid

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2013
                That is what I ment, and I had made the assumption that it was what the sender was looking for since this isn't cosplay. Most doublets don't have boning in them. I make gowns with built in corsets all the time, but it doesn't actually make them corsets, it makes them corseted gowns. I was using the same theory in refering to the Janet Arnold 'vest' as a corseted doublet. But I still don't know where to find a good pattern for one.
                Mistress Cassandra

                I wrote:
                > > > Patterns of Fashion by Janet Arnold has a lovely corseted doublet in it.
                > >
                > > Color me confused by the term then but I thought this was just a doublet that is most likely a woman's doublet (although a friend of mine, a man, wore a copy of it once). Why is it a "corseted doublet"?

              • Melody Watts
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 6, 2013
                  Did you look at Margo Anderson's patterns.?

                • Margo Anderson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 7, 2013
                    If what you're looking for is a high collared women's doublet pattern, my Elizabethan Lady's Wardrobe and Elizabethan Gentleman's wardrobe both have them. I designed the women's version to go over a corset, so it has only minimal boning, but it would be very easy to sew bone casings to the flatlining and create a full corset.

                    Margo Anderson