Re: [SCA-Garb] Re: 3 GFD questions

  • Lilibat
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 16, 2012
      > That pattern is very late 1500's if it's period at all. And the repeat is huge. You could maybe use it for a 1580's or 1590's Florentine or Venetian gown, but it's not going to work for a GFD.
      >
      > Rashid

      *sigh* I am never going to find a brocade sort of fabric I like for this.

    • patricia herfner
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 16, 2012
        I don't know what a GFD is.
        IsabelleĀ
        In support of my canary Fiona

        From: lili313 <lilibat@...>

        >1) Does anyone know of any images that have buttons neck to hem on a woman's GFD?
        <snipped by mod. trim your posts>

      • otsisto
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 16, 2012
          Take with a grain of salt.
          http://www.wga.hu/art/m/memling/3mature3/25more3.jpg
          Flemish 1484? Memling. This may be an artist pulling from other older
          paintings or is contemporary but from the clothing of the donors I would say
          that it isn't contemporary.

          1480 Flemish under skirt.
          http://www.wga.hu/art/m/memling/3mature1/17rein21.jpg

          1449 Flemish over gown
          http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/15th/ainsworthp97.jpg
          to show that brocade patterns could get big.

          I am vaguely remembering seeing a GFD with brocade of thatsize pattern but I
          could be remembering a 1400s painting. I do know that the "Italians" had
          brocade in the 1300s but I am only remembering small patterns. The "flower"
          of your fabric can be traced back to at least the 1200s (if not earlier) to
          the orient.

          Delis

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 16, 2012
              On 12/16/2012 10:04 AM, patricia herfner wrote:
              > I don't know what a GFD is.
              > Isabelle
              > In support of my canary Fiona

              Gothic Fitted Dress. A descriptive term for a the 14th-15th century
              long-sleeved, scoop-necked garment some refer to as a cotehardie. For
              more on this issue, check out these cites:

              http://cottesimple.com/articles/love-layers/
              http://cottesimple.com/articles/elusive-cotehardie/

              --
              Cathy Raymond
              cathy@...

              "Remember that time is money."
              --Benjamin Franklin
            • Charles
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 16, 2012
                Your links point out another thing I should have mentioned... Period brocades were very high contrast between the colors. White on white is not very typical for Gothic color combos.

                Rashid

                --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "otsisto" <otsisto@...> wrote:

                > Take with a grain of salt.
                > http://www.wga.hu/art/m/memling/3mature3/25more3.jpg
                > Flemish 1484? Memling. This may be an artist pulling from other older
                > paintings or is contemporary but from the clothing of the donors I would say
                > that it isn't contemporary.
                >
                > 1480 Flemish under skirt.
                > http://www.wga.hu/art/m/memling/3mature1/17rein21.jpg
                >
                > 1449 Flemish over gown
                > http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/15th/ainsworthp97.jpg
                > to show that brocade patterns could get big.

              • lili313
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 16, 2012
                  I was going to use a dye that would be blue on one fibre & purple on the other.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 17, 2012
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 17, 2012
                      Wne I get to my office, I should be able to find the ONE credible image
                      I've found of female GFDs buttoned top to bottom...will post if I find it.
                      For the other questions, I agree with Rashid...containyoursurprise :)

                      Alysoujn

                      On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:58 AM, otsisto <otsisto@...> wrote:

                      > **

                      "Courage is the virtue of deeds... courtesy is the virtue of language."
                      Baron Giovanni di Fiamma