Re: Early Period Irish 800-900

  • Diane
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
      Kara Agnarsdottir, would you be so kind as to give me some of your opinions, and even links to Norse clothing In Ireland. My persona is from 900 Dublin. I am still learning how to research that time period.

      Dianimh Ban
    • beorn_se_bacaire
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
        To the couple of people who requested a copy of my bibliography--I haven't forgotten you, it's been a busy few days for me, and I'm reviewing and updating the document.
        I'm trying to find more on Norman period Irish Clothing, as well--there is some secondary documentation for that period (or slightly later) in the form of Gerald of Wales' The History and Topography of Ireland, which, while heavily biased, I believe does have some usable descriptions.
        I'll add a research tangent to specifically Hiberno-Norse dress, as well.

        YiS,
        Brann mac Finnchad
      • saerlaith_sca
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
          (Modified by Mod. TRIM YOUR POSTS!)

          Apologies for the late reply. I also use Finnacan Dubh's Early Gaelic Dress, which has a decent bibliography at the end for additional source material.

          http://coblaith.net/EarlyGaelicDress/EarlyGaelicDress10bw.pdf

          He has several print resources listed, but here are his web ones:
          Autobiography of Guibert of Nogent www.fordham.edu/HALSALL/basis/guibert-vita.html
          Corpus of Electronic Texts: Táin Bó Cúalnge from the Book of Leinster www.ucc.ie/celt/published/T301035/index.html
          Corpus of Electronic Texts: Lebor na hUidre (in original Irish) www.ucc.ie/celt/online/G301900/
          I. Marc Carlson's "Footwear of the Middle Ages" www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/SHOEHOME.HTM
          Wikipedia: Gallery of Images from the Book of Kells en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallery_of_Book_of_Kells_pages

          Good luck!
          Saerlaith ingen Buadaig