Re: [SCA-Garb] Early Period Irish 800-900

  • Lila Richards
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
      You're right, info for this period in Ireland is very scarce. There are a couple of books that might help, if you can get hold of them: H McClintock, Old Scottish and Irish Dress, and Mairead Dunlevy, Dress in Ireland. Kass McGann's www.reconstructinghistory.com may also have something useful. My persona is 9th C Irish, and I use the dress pattern/diagram at Maggie Forest's site, www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval. This is based on a Scandinavian find, and is some centuries later, but basic dress didn't change for quite a few centuries, and, given that there's no extant garb from Ireland earlier than the 14th C, I figure that's the best I can do. There was probably some Scandinavian influence in Ireland by the 9th C, depending on where you lived.

      I hope that helps.

      Sinech.

      Lila Richards, author of A Different Hunger - A Dark Fantasy
      Available now as paperback and e-book from:
      http://www.bluewoodpublishing.com/Blueshop/

      On 4/12/2012, at 10:39 AM, J.C. wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > So I need to pick a few good brains. I'm trying to find some good references for what women wore in early period Ireland, roughly 800-900. The problem is that I'm not finding a whole lot of decent info though it's not surprising in a way. Would any of you folks happen to know of any good info floating around in an an obscure corner somewhere? Also any pictures would be nice too, I'm a very visual learner.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jenn

    • KD Shimomura
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
        If you were going with the Norse in Ireland circa 850 I could help you... (My persona is based out of Dublin) Is that an option for you by chance?

        ~Kara Agnarsdottir

        On Dec 3, 2012, at 1:39 PM, J.C. wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > So I need to pick a few good brains. I'm trying to find some good references for what women wore in early period Ireland, roughly 800-900.
        <snipped by mod. trim your posts>
      • J.C.
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
          Kara, that's actually exactly what I'm looking at. Originally I was looking at 14th century Ireland and my husband was going to do viking. Then we decided it would be fun to both do the same time period.

          Jenn
          --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, KD Shimomura <kara.agnarsdottir@...> wrote:

          > If you were going with the Norse in Ireland circa 850 I could help you...
          <snipped by mod. trim your posts>
        • ArianhRod2
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
            Hi Kara,

            Can I also pick your brain on this one?

            Thanks!

            Erin

            Sent from my iPad

            > --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, KD Shimomura <kara.agnarsdottir@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > If you were going with the Norse in Ireland circa 850 I could help you...

            <snipped by mod. trim your posts>

          • beorn_se_bacaire
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
              McClintock's is nice, but only contains one chapter for that period--however, it is available on CD. Dunlevy's has about the same amount of info from what I hear--haven't gotten my hands on that one yet.

              I do have an annotated bibliography for Irish clothes, if you'd like me to send it to you privately.

              Brann mac Finnchad

              --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "J.C." <dark_rainv@...> wrote:

              > I'm trying to find some good references for what women wore in early period Ireland, roughly 800-900.
              <snipped by mod. trim your posts!>
            • maria smith
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
                I would like to know if anyone has any info. on the 1000-1400 irish clothing it seems a bit limited. Thank Calibrid

                ________________________________
                From: beorn_se_bacaire <beorn_se_bacaire@...>

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
                  You could try Kass McGann's Reconstructing History site.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
                    I would love to see the bibliography that you have put together.
                    Jenn
                    --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "beorn_se_bacaire" <beorn_se_bacaire@...> wrote:
                    > I do have an annotated bibliography for Irish clothes, if you'd like me to send it to you privately.
                    >
                    > Brann mac Finnchad

                  • Caroline P
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
                      If you're doing a noble character, then the English court costumes from the eras would be what you would make. There would have been a certain amount of fashion exchange through trade with Wales and the in the Irish Pale. If you're doing a peasant character, then there also wasn't a lot of difference, tunics and simple gowns.

                      --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, maria smith <calibridseagodess@...> wrote:

                      > I would like to know if anyone has any info. on the 1000-1400 irish clothing it seems a bit limited. Thank Calibrid

                      <snipped by mod. trim your posts!>
                    • Diane
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                        Kara Agnarsdottir, would you be so kind as to give me some of your opinions, and even links to Norse clothing In Ireland. My persona is from 900 Dublin. I am still learning how to research that time period.

                        Dianimh Ban
                      • beorn_se_bacaire
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
                          To the couple of people who requested a copy of my bibliography--I haven't forgotten you, it's been a busy few days for me, and I'm reviewing and updating the document.
                          I'm trying to find more on Norman period Irish Clothing, as well--there is some secondary documentation for that period (or slightly later) in the form of Gerald of Wales' The History and Topography of Ireland, which, while heavily biased, I believe does have some usable descriptions.
                          I'll add a research tangent to specifically Hiberno-Norse dress, as well.

                          YiS,
                          Brann mac Finnchad
                        • saerlaith_sca
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
                            (Modified by Mod. TRIM YOUR POSTS!)

                            Apologies for the late reply. I also use Finnacan Dubh's Early Gaelic Dress, which has a decent bibliography at the end for additional source material.

                            http://coblaith.net/EarlyGaelicDress/EarlyGaelicDress10bw.pdf

                            He has several print resources listed, but here are his web ones:
                            Autobiography of Guibert of Nogent www.fordham.edu/HALSALL/basis/guibert-vita.html
                            Corpus of Electronic Texts: Táin Bó Cúalnge from the Book of Leinster www.ucc.ie/celt/published/T301035/index.html
                            Corpus of Electronic Texts: Lebor na hUidre (in original Irish) www.ucc.ie/celt/online/G301900/
                            I. Marc Carlson's "Footwear of the Middle Ages" www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/SHOEHOME.HTM
                            Wikipedia: Gallery of Images from the Book of Kells en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallery_of_Book_of_Kells_pages

                            Good luck!
                            Saerlaith ingen Buadaig