Purple for a bliaut?

  • Giuliana del Chiaro
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 26, 2012
      Hello everyone,

      If I am offending anyone with this, I duly apologize, but I need any and all to help me if you can.

      Is it okay to wear a purple bliaut or was that only reserved for royalty? My persona is 15th Century Italian and I'm retaining for the Princess who wears bliauts.

      I'm kinda out of my depth here. Any replies will be most appreciated.

      Thank you,
      Giuliana
    • Angela Costello
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 26, 2012
        From what I understand, purple was reserve for royalty only in some
        cultures. I'm not sure if that included those of Northern Europe. However,
        if your kingdom does not have sumptuary laws, you can wear whatever you
        want. :)

        -Anna

        On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Giuliana del Chiaro <guiliana2367@...
        > wrote:
        >
        > Is it okay to wear a purple bliaut or was that only reserved for royalty?
        <Snipped by mod. Trim your posts!>

        --
        *Ang*
        http://kaousuu.net

      • Ann Catelli
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 26, 2012
          Check with your kingdom, but it's okay to wear purple in these current middle ages everywhere I'm familiar with.

          SCA sumputary laws tend to regulate circlets/coronets/crowns, belts, & some unadorned chains.

          Also, check with Her Highness.  If she cares, she'll tell you, and if she doesn't, anyone who does can jump in a lake.

          Ann in CT
          Cecilia Dollmaker

        • Lila Richards
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 26, 2012
            It depends (or should do) on what you mean by purple. Traditional royal purple is not the violet colour we call purple today, but a brownish maroon colour. So in theory, it should be okay to wear violet. Royal purple was made from murex molluscs, and was used from at least biblical times, one well-known centre being at Tyre, for which reason it was known as Tyrrhian (sp?) purple. Roman senators used it to border their robes. By mediaeval times, it had become quite scarce, which is why it was restricted to royalty.

            Sinech.

            Lila Richards, author of A Different Hunger - A Dark Fantasy
            Available now as paperback and e-book from:
            http://www.bluewoodpublishing.com/Blueshop/

            On 27/11/2012, at 2:54 PM, Giuliana del Chiaro wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > If I am offending anyone with this, I duly apologize, but I need any and all to help me if you can.
            >
            > Is it okay to wear a purple bliaut or was that only reserved for royalty? My persona is 15th Century Italian and I'm retaining for the Princess who wears bliauts.
            >
            > I'm kinda out of my depth here. Any replies will be most appreciated.
            >
            > Thank you,
            > Giuliana

          • Gwen MacAuslane
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 26, 2012
              Are you asking if it's OK on SCA terms, or for your personna to wear
              purple? I.e. would a 15th century Italian lady, as part of the
              household of a Royal House wear purple? I'm not sure of 15th century
              Italian sumptuary laws - been a while since I researched Italian
              fabric colors.

              A Lady of the Court weren't on the same social level as the "girls" in
              service for cooking and cleaning. Purple fabric was expensive, so you
              could spin a tale that the bliaut or the fabric for it was a gift from
              Her Highness, or some Duke looking to gain your favor.

              I'm a Scot, so the purple dress that I have - well, my father brought
              it home while driving cattle to market. The prior owner didn't need
              it any more, and we got the blood washed out. Perfectly good wool,
              can't let it go to waste.

              Gwen
            • Charles
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 26, 2012
                Ask your Princess. Not only does she probably know local custom, she knows what SHE wants better than anyone on this list does.

                Local custom is far more important in these cases than actual kingdom law.

                Rashid

                --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Giuliana del Chiaro" <guiliana2367@...> wrote:
                > Is it okay to wear a purple bliaut or was that only reserved for royalty? My persona is 15th Century Italian and I'm retaining for the Princess who wears bliauts.
                >
                > I'm kinda out of my depth here. Any replies will be most appreciated.
              • otsisto
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 27, 2012
                  If you are in the Kingdom of Calontir, no the color is not reserved for
                  royalty only. I have noticed in the past that Kingdom Royalties like to
                  have their retinue color coordinated to Kingdom colors for some occasions
                  during their reign so ask the Princess. And if you already have the material
                  and the Princess would rather you not wear the color (highly unlikely) then
                  use it for a 1400s Italian instead of a bliaut.
                  this is a picture of Italian bliaut.
                  http://tinyurl.com/c8mm5cc

                  Happy sewing. :)

                  Delis

                  Is it okay to wear a purple bliaut or was that only reserved for royalty?
                  My persona is 15th Century Italian and I'm retaining for the Princess who
                  wears bliauts.
                • Vicky Eisenstadt
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 27, 2012
                    No sumptuary laws on color exist in Trimaris, Guilanna, so you're good. And
                    HRH is awsesome about that and I believe will simply elect to STEAL YOUR
                    FABRIC for herself, with an impish grin, rather than bar you from wearing
                    it. I wore purple a lot during their first reign. (many hugs)

                    --
                    "Courage is the virtue of deeds... courtesy is the virtue of language."
                    Baron Giovanni di Fiamma

                  • Giuliana del Chiaro
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 27, 2012
                      Thank you to all for your replies. They were most insightful. I ended up email our Highness and she doesn't have a problem. Therefore, if anyone did have a problem, I'll just say I have a special dispensation from Her Most Royal Highness and they are welcome to speak to her regarding my bliaut.

                      Thanks again everyone. I knew I could count on your input!
                      YIS,
                      Giuliana
                    • Vicky Eisenstadt
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 27, 2012
                        Can I have the popcorn concession????

                        Alysoun

                        On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Giuliana del Chiaro <guiliana2367@...

                        --
                        "Courage is the virtue of deeds... courtesy is the virtue of language."
                        Baron Giovanni di Fiamma

                      • patricia herfner
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 27, 2012
                          Can I have the pattern?
                          THL Isabelle de Foix
                          In support of my canary Fiona

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 27, 2012
                            I don't think there's a problem using purple fabric. My first garb was purple velveteen.
                            THL Isabelle de Foix
                            Kingdom of Meridies
                            In support of my canary Fiona

                            From: Giuliana del Chiaro <guiliana2367@...>

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 28, 2012
                              Alysoun,

                              I would be willing to split it with you, but ultimately the decision is up to Her Highness.

                              I suggest that we sell towels from all the spit takes were gonna get....

                              Giuliana

                              --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Vicky Eisenstadt <alysounJ@...> wrote:

                              > Can I have the popcorn concession????
                              >
                              > Alysoun
                              >
                              > On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Giuliana del Chiaro <guiliana2367@...
                              > > wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > Thank you to all for your replies. They were most insightful. I ended up
                              > > email our Highness and she doesn't have a problem. Therefore, if anyone did
                              > > have a problem, I'll just say I have a special dispensation from Her Most
                              > > Royal Highness and they are welcome to speak to her regarding my bliaut.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks again everyone. I knew I could count on your input!
                              > > YIS,
                              > > Giuliana
                              > >

                              > --
                              > "Courage is the virtue of deeds... courtesy is the virtue of language."
                              > Baron Giovanni di Fiamma

                            • Vicky Eisenstadt
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 29, 2012
                                YES!!! now THAT would be a moneymaker!!