Re: Cloaks with arm-slits

  • Gõcauo
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
      Cloak/coat(?) Spain, 15th Century

      http://jessamynscloset.com/images/postspainimages/Nobleza2/no252.jpg

      --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@...> wrote:

      > Anyone know of an example garment, painting, illumination...?
      <SNIPPED BY MOD. TRIM YOUR POSTS!>
    • Silvester
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
        I would have interpretted both of those examples as surcoats becuase of how close they fit the upper body of the wearer...

        I know it's not a "cloak with arm slits", but a late/post period cassock might be considered similar..

        http://www.employees.org/~cathy/cote_body.html

        Silvester

        --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "otsisto" <otsisto@...> wrote:

        > Though they were probably not full circle, I have seen 3 that were <SNIPPED BY MOD. TRIM YOUR POSTS!>
      • Matilda Stoyle
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
          Hi Rashid,

          Might you be recalling a gardecorps?  They show up in manuscript art between mostly between 1250 and 1325ish:

          http://www.larsdatter.com/gardecorps.htm

          Regards,

          Matilda Stoyle

          ________________________________
          From: Charles <unclrashid@...>
          ...I remembered seeing some very full cloaks that could have been full circles in that same 1300's- 1400's period.
          <SNIPPED BY MOD. TRIM YOUR POSTS.>
        • Charles
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
            That's interesting, but extremely topologically ambiguous. If you follow the white sash, on one side it looks like it goes through the arm slit, and on the other side it looks like it goes underneath a sleeve. And on the side facing us, the draping looks a lot like a sleeve, but by the time it gets to the bottom you can't tell what is going on with the folds. And if you follow the fur trim/lining on the center front opening it jumps from the surcoat to the gown as it reaches the bottom.

            I wonder if this is one of those paintings that was "restored" by someone who didn't understand what the garb was?

            Rashid

            --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Gõcauo <gocauo@...> wrote:

            > Cloak/coat(?) Spain, 15th Century
            >
            > http://jessamynscloset.com/images/postspainimages/Nobleza2/no252.jpg
          • Luscious Garb
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012
              http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/workbox/extmenclo3.htm
              Here is an extant cloak with sleeves. Late period male. Don Garcia

              There are also Russian coats that have attached sleeves that aren't used
              and your arm goes through slit in sleeves. The sleeves were extra long.
              Cat

            • Charles
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012
                Those could be ancestors of the garment I am recalling, but the one I remember was more "Age ofthe cotehardie". It might have had sleeves with slits, though.

                Rashid