Re: [SCA-Garb] Trying to sort myself out so I can start sewing. (Bohemian Bling maybe?)

  • Natalie Foster
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 8, 2012
      Exactly, why?  My persona is Scottish, no particular era, and I have 'T' tunics (mostly), Italians, Houpeland (?spelling), and more, and am currently working on a Tudor gown.  If you want to, that's great, but what we are saying is that there's no need to.  I'm 5' 4" fat and don't look good in anything, mundane or society wise.  lol  I just wear what I like.

      Moira of Loch Leven
      aka Natalie

      Why "shoehorn"? I've been active for 7 years now and only this year decided
      to be Tudor era German. Doesn't keep me from having a diverse wardrobe
      <SNIPPED BY MOD. TRIM YOUR POSTS!>

    • Mackenzie Morgan
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 9, 2012
        If you did the beaded wire hair cages, you could also line the cage
        with black satin. It'd shine like hair does and disguise your hair
        color if you don't want it shown. A veil is usually warn over the top
        of your head with those.

        Grazia
      • Jackie Frederick
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 9, 2012
          Byzantine has LOTS of bling. On one dalmatica I used over 300 potato pearls
          as well as untold numbers of fresh water pearls and lapis beads. There is
          also gold embroidery which will spiff up almost anything.

          Elspeth Bouchannane
        • Kathy
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 9, 2012
            I abandoned much hope in looking as good in my costumes as I did twenty years ago, but that doesn't stop me from trying for the best. I started in 13th century clothing, went to Renaissance and now am back to Medieval thanks to this group. I rather expect that the time whose look we trying to copy had quite a few people who didn't look great in the current fashon, but that didn't stop them from trying if they had the resources. Even those who didn't worked with what they had. It's the ambiance we're trying for in the end, isn't it and perfection of re-creating it? People aged and lost their figures then, so why worry about it now. You go for the best and most authentic costumes you can and you'll look great! KathyAnn

          • lili313
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 10, 2012
              --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Jackie Frederick" <edenwild@...> wrote:

              > Byzantine has LOTS of bling.

              My friend keeps suggesting this for me, unfortunately I don't think the cut of the clothes will work on me. All the everyday & going out dresses I have are either GFD style or Victorian. I own nothing that loose because it makes me look huge. The thin belts I see on the dalmaticas do not help either. I'd love to do stuff with that level of detail though. Tudor is out due to just too many layers & being too hot. I have many many Victorian corsets & I don't want to get into that right now.

              I will say there is a pair of amethyst Byzantine earrings that keep popping up on jewe;ry searches I could go recreate in my workshop right now, heh.

              ****************

              To everyone asking why I want one period, well, I want to develop a character/persona & stick with it. I know it's fine to jump around but I'd prefer to find a best of all worlds soultion & go with it. It's just the way I think

              ****************

              --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Hilton <deb.milspec@...> wrote:

              > My hair is pink/purple....

              Now that makes me feel better! Thanks!
            • Alditha de la Tye
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 10, 2012
                Wow! I am so printing this post. Thanks so much!

                On Nov 9, 2012 9:21 PM, "Kathy" <Skkyeviolet@...> wrote:
                <SNIPPED BY MOD. TRIM YOUR POSTS>
                > You go for the best and most
                > authentic costumes you can and you'll look great! KathyAnn

              • otsisto
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 11, 2012
                  1520s German
                  http://frazzledfrau.glittersweet.com/1520.htm

                  http://myra.hem.nu/costume/
                  to the left,click on the pic. above the WWW, this will take you to
                  Documentation and Research. Scroll down to images by artist and click on
                  Hans Part. This should take you to the Badenberger Geneology. Scroll down
                  for individual garments and you can click on the images to enlarge.
                  (Swabian) Some of these are just above waistline.

                  Mary of Hungary gown
                  http://frazzledfrau.glittersweet.com/mary/index.htm

                  There is the bliaut
                  http://tinyurl.com/cq2c2j

                  De
                • Elizabeth
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 13, 2012
                    <snip> I'd love to do stuff with that level of detail though. Tudor is out due to just too many layers & being too hot. I have many many Victorian corsets & I don't want to get into that right now.

                    <snip>

                    What about Burgundian? It's relatively fitted (if you pick the later version). There's opportunities for bling on the belt, the hennin and some really pretty necklaces. If you've already got a GFD you've got the necessary supporting under layer (depending on how high you've cut the neckline, but so long as you've got the pattern you can always cut it down a little further). Plus the hennin will cover up your hair if you're concerned about showing the colour.

                    Elizabeth
                  • Jackie Frederick
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 14, 2012
                      I agree totally with comment. I have lots of folks telling me to pick just
                      one area, one time frame. Where's the fun in that?! There is so much out
                      there to research and learn about and this ( just my humble opinion) is
                      where the 'creative' part comes in.

                      Making new garb from what you have learned, learning new skills, new ideas,
                      the history behind the clothes - - all that and more is kewl for me. And
                      not one 'shoehorn' in sight.

                      > 2. You do not have to shoehorn yourself into one period or country. (I
                      > don't)

                      Elspeth Bouchannane