Re: wool and holes: Clothing repair in period

  • beorn_se_bacaire
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2012
      Thank you all.

      Friederike: That is one of the things I'm trying to find out. As a note, yes it was--the Orkney hood has a twill pattern darned patch beneath the chin, done in a coarser yarn than the original fabric.

      Asfridhr: It does help--I'm familier with most of the sources you stated, except the first 'Textiles' one. I didn't know the Flax site had anything--'tis been a while since I read it. And the Skjoldhamn paper I have already used as a resource, but your translation of the Swedish should come in handy for it as I had only been able to use my observations of the photos.
      I had also read the notes on the Dublin hat, but forgoten to note it down, and haven't gotten to reading "Woven into the Earth" with repairs in mind--yet.

      I am mainly looking specifially for early medieval (yes, very broad spectrum, I know), but taking about anything up to around the late 15th century--or even Renaissance.

      Thank you
      Brann

      --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

      > 'Period' covers a wide range of times and places, so I have no idea if any of this will help!
      <snipped by mod. trim your posts>