Re: [SCA-Garb] Re: Fancy trim vs. Laundry

  • Joan Silvertoppe
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
      Actually, that is supposed to be the whole point about testing the fabric/trim sample in the dishwasher (usually in some container like the plastic cage used to clean baby bottle tops). It is SUPPOSED to represent the worst that can happen to a garment, that normally happens over many washings in the regular washer. If something can survive the test sample in the dishwasher once, it will easily survive multiple washings in a regular washing machine with regular detergent.

      If you don't want to see what happens at the worst abuse that can be done, then don't test in this method. As I normally do gentle washings with gentle cleaners like Orvus paste or Eucalan, with minimal agitation and flat drying, I don't normally test this way either.

      Joan

      On Dec 1, 2011, at 12:59 PM, Sarah Cutten wrote:

      > Don't use DISHWASHER SOAP unless you want it to fall apart!

    • Charles
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
        While I agree with the theory, I'm not sure about the dishwasher being an accurate stress test for washing in the washing machine. Dishwasher will not provide any friction or twisting. I've found some fabrics that test ok as little swatches that aren't big enough to twist, will show horrible stress marks from twisting and agitation in the washer. I'd bet good moaney that jap gold works that way!

        Rashid

        --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Joan Silvertoppe <jsilvertoppe@...> wrote:

        > Actually, that is supposed to be the whole point about testing the fabric/trim sample in the dishwasher (usually in some container like the plastic cage used to clean baby bottle tops). It is SUPPOSED to represent the worst that can happen to a garment, that normally happens over many washings in the regular washer. If something can survive the test sample in the dishwasher once, it will easily survive multiple washings in a regular washing machine with regular detergent.

      • Carol Botteron
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
          Joan Silvertoppe <jsilvertoppe@...> wrote:

          > ... For my historical garments anymore, I spritz the garment with a
          > 50/50 blend of vodka & water, let the garment air out for a few days,
          > then pack it away. The vodka kills bacteria which causes odor. I
          > otherwise spot clean as needed, use hand washing in cold water & line
          > dry when really needed, and have given up on dry cleaning completely
          > (can't tolerate the smell). Ymmv.

          Does vodka prevent sweat stains from appearing when a garment is put
          away for a long time?

          Would rubbing alcohol (say 70% isopropyl alcohol) work just as well
          if diluted to 50% alcohol?

          Are there any fabrics etc. that are likely to be damaged by 50% alcohol?
          (Referring to items that can be washed in water.)
        • Joan Silvertoppe
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
            On Dec 2, 2011, at 12:56 PM, Carol Botteron wrote:

            > Does vodka prevent sweat stains from appearing when a garment is put
            > away for a long time?

            The longest term I've stored from a garment sprayed in the manner has been two years, so not really long term so far. No problems there. I understand from many theater costumers that this is an old method of keeping their garments smelling fresh between uses during a run, but I understand they do a standard cleaning at the end of the run before long term storage as well.

            If you are concerned about underarm stains, I'd suggest using a removeable underarm pad that is washable. I wear washable linen undergarments so I've not worried about this type of a problem.

            > Would rubbing alcohol (say 70% isopropyl alcohol) work just as well
            > if diluted to 50% alcohol?

            I've no idea. I've only used vodka, because that's what those theater folks use. Vodka has also been mythbuster proved as far as removing smells goes, from the episode where they tested it on a variety of bad scents including cigarette smoke. I don't remember if it is the specific chemicals in vodka that does this or what. Mythbusters used full strength vodka, btw, I use a watered mix.

            > Are there any fabrics etc. that are likely to be damaged by 50% alcohol?
            > (Referring to items that can be washed in water.)

            I've done this on wool, on silk, on polyester, on silk/linen blends, and on cottons & blends. So far no problems. I've not done this on the outside of full silk fabrics since I am concerned about possible water spots, but I do it on the inside linings which in my clothing is linen/cotton blends, usually. I've not seen any spotting on the silk bias trim I have on my wool gown. If you are concerned, try it on a test swatch or hidden spot on your garment.

            Joan