Washing linen

  • wren378
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
      Is it ok to put 100% in the dryer? I bought some linen and washed it on cold with the rest of my dark colors (it was dark green) and I accidently threw it in the dryer. The lint trap came out with a nice layer of green "fluff". Did I just ruin my fabric?
    • Aurelia Rufinia
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
        No, of course you didn't ruin it. It'll be softer, and probably shrank
        some, but it's fine. The fluff is just lint and happens when you wash
        linen.

        Rufinia

        On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 9:52 AM, wren378 <wren378@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Is it ok to put 100% in the dryer? I bought some linen and washed it on
        > cold with the rest of my dark colors (it was dark green) and I accidently
        > threw it in the dryer. The lint trap came out with a nice layer of green
        > "fluff". Did I just ruin my fabric?

      • Carrie Ann Hamilton Caswell
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
          No you didn't. I actually wash mine on hot and then dry it on hot too just
          to shrink it. I would rather it shrink before I made something then after.
          Also linen sheds a lot in the wash.

          On Sep 2, 2011 2:08 PM, "wren378" <wren378@...> wrote:
          > Is it ok to put 100% in the dryer?<snipped by mod>
          "fluff". Did I just ruin my fabric?

        • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
            Actually, better do it now than have it shrink AFTER you've made something
            with it!

            New linen I actually wash on hot and dry in the dryer twice before doing
            anything with. I do this twice because I had linen shrink on me once after
            just one washing. After the first two initial washes I usually wash in cold
            water and hang to dry.

            The fluff in the dryer is normal, especially the first time it goes through.
            After that it gets better.

            Washed linen won't ever go back to the shiny crisp it was before you washed
            it, unless you starch it when you iron it, but you can get it nice and flat
            with a spray bottle and an iron on the hottest setting.

            Audrey

            On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 9:52 AM, wren378 <wren378@...> wrote:

            > Is it ok to put 100% in the dryer? I bought some linen and washed it on
            > cold with the rest of my dark colors (it was dark green) and I accidently
            > threw it in the dryer. The lint trap came out with a nice layer of green
            > "fluff". Did I just ruin my fabric?

          • Dee Cadoret
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
              Not at all. This is a good thing as it means it is now preshrunk.

              On 02/09/2011 9:52 AM, wren378 wrote:
              ><snipped by mod> Did I just ruin my fabric?

            • Joanna Hobbins
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
                What everyone else said. Linen can be tossed in the drier, the poorer
                quality (shorter staple, coarser weaver) the more lint get's produced.
                Linen that's hang dried has a longer life span than spun dried, but for most
                intents and purposes it's not really noticeable (95% of my linen goes in the
                drier and only the cheap stuff is falling apart after 5 years).

                I always wash and dry my fabric (including silk, wool depends on the type)
                twice at high temperature, even if the end piece will only ever be cold
                washed and air dried. It's also a good idea to toss in a small square of
                white muslin the first time you're washing a new fabric to see if the dye
                runs.

                Jeanne

                <snipped by mod. TRIM YOUR POSTS>