Garb books

  • Anne of Saffron Walden
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2011
      Although I make my own garb, I don't have any garb books because there are so many I don't know where to start or which one(s)to get; one really needs more than one.

      For 14th century (13-15C even) women's garb, what would anyone suggest as their top 3. Patterns or instructions would be nice but not necessary, reasonably clear pictures would be more important to me.
      Thanks
      Anne
    • Lma
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 4, 2011
        Hi everyone

        I am hoping someone knows how to construct a stickel or stickelshen cap?
        This is the type of cap Anne of Cleves wore in her betrothal portrait by Holbein.
        I have been researching on all the lists, and German costuming sites.
        The hoods associated with the Six Wives of Henry the VIII are gabled and French.
        it is the shape of the sides that is confusing.

        Thanks
        Elisabeta

      • Charles
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2011
          "Medieval Tailor's Assistant" is excellent for a how-to and general overview. One can quibble with details, but if you look at outside sources for period paintings to see the specifics of what was worn in what place and time it's pretty easy to compensate for any deficiencies.

          Rashid

          --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Anne of Saffron Walden" <wpmaurice@...> wrote:

          > Although I make my own garb, I don't have any garb books because there are so many I don't know where to start or which one(s)to get; one really needs more than one.
          >
          > For 14th century (13-15C even) women's garb, what would anyone suggest as their top 3. Patterns or instructions would be nice but not necessary, reasonably clear pictures would be more important to me.
          > Thanks
          > Anne

        • otsisto
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
            You mean this?
            http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/northrhine/2clevespracht.htm

            De

            I am hoping someone knows how to construct a stickel or stickelshen cap?
            This is the type of cap Anne of Cleves wore in her betrothal portrait by
            Holbein.
            I have been researching on all the lists, and German costuming sites.
            The hoods associated with the Six Wives of Henry the VIII are gabled and
            French.
            it is the shape of the sides that is confusing.

            Thanks
            Elisabeta
          • Vicky Eisenstadt
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
              Museum of London, Textiles & Clothing, 1150-1450. Extensive analysis of
              extant garments, pictures, great great GREAT resource
              Museum of London, Dress Accessories, 1150-1450. S/A above
              "The Medieval Tailor's Assistant." Excellent instructions.

              Alysoun, proud member, 14thc Mafia

              --
              "Courage is the virtue of deeds... courtesy is the virtue of language."
              Baron Giovanni di Fiamma

            • Jacqueline Johnson
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
                I'm rather partial to Blanche Payne's History of Costume. It's a bit dated
                by 90% of the info is excellent. Even if her bias against Eleanor of
                Aquitaine amuses me. (she calls her a camp follower)

                Bice
                --
                http://www.etsy.com/shop/dirtygirldesigns
                Welcome to the Wrong Side of the Trailer Park

              • Wendy Maurice
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2011
                  I actually have Medieval Tailor's Assistant (somewhere! - I may have loaned
                  it to someone, drat! It's not with my other SCA books), as well as Textiles
                  and Clothing but by Crowfoot et al, is that the same one? I have difficulty
                  picturing a garment from tiny partial scraps of unearthed fabric.

                  I haven't seen Dress Accessories, must look out for that, nor I think
                  Blanche Paynes'. Hopefully the book merchants at Pennsic will have some of
                  these.

                  I am looking for a short-sleeved cote style (I think) dress worn over a long
                  sleeved under dress. Can someone please tell me what style that is?

                  Anne

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 7, 2011
                    Yep - Crowfoot it is :0

                    Alysoun

                    On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Wendy Maurice <wpmaurice@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > I actually have Medieval Tailor's Assistant (somewhere! - I may have loaned
                    > it to someone, drat! It's not with my other SCA books), as well as Textiles
                    > and Clothing but by Crowfoot et al, is that the same one? I have difficulty
                    > picturing a garment from tiny partial scraps of unearthed fabric.
                    >
                    > I haven't seen Dress Accessories, must look out for that, nor I think
                    > Blanche Paynes'. Hopefully the book merchants at Pennsic will have some of
                    > these.
                    >
                    > I am looking for a short-sleeved cote style (I think) dress worn over a
                    > long
                    > sleeved under dress. Can someone please tell me what style that is?
                    >
                    > Anne
                    >
                    > Sounds like a standard cotehardie (Gothic Fitted Dress, Rashid, I know lol)
                    with short sleeves over a long undergown - very common style for the 14th
                    century.

                    I've got instructions, if you like.

                    Alysoun

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 7, 2011
                      Sure - instructions might be helpful, but if it looks like a long sleeve
                      cotehardie only with short sleeves I could do that. I have long sleeved
                      cotes. I just wanted to see it in a picture (period art), all the ones I've
                      seen are photos of modern people, and see how the under dress works with it,
                      does it show at the neck for example, what kind of sleeve, etc.

                      See, I really want an excuse to have a short-sleeved dress for Pennsic
                      without the under cos of the heat/humidity, that I can wear properly with an
                      under dress on other occasions. (I still need a good garb book or two
                      though).

                      Anne

                      I am looking for a short-sleeved cote style (I think) dress worn over a long
                      sleeved under dress. Can someone please tell me what style that is?
                      Anne

                      Alysoun said: Sounds like a standard cotehardie (Gothic Fitted Dress,