Re: Period Garb question

  • Eryn Utz
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2011
      Jon,

      Have you seen the book "The King's Servants"? Here is a link to the cover. I
      think you might like the outfit on the cover. It is English, but in the same
      time period, and I'm sure you could find similar garments in European
      paintings. The book includes patterns, though they are not for the beginner.
      Hose can be purchased, though it is more likely to fit well if you have
      someone fit it to you. An alternative, which can be supported by the links
      to the portraits below, is to use over the knee hosen, readily available in
      cotton or wool from 18th C reenactor suppliers, such as Jas. Townsend & Co,
      or Burnley and Trowbridge, and close fitting knee length hosen over them
      (the last portrait is more definite, the first one you can see the garters
      at the bottom of the picture).

      http://www.tudortailor.com/bookshoptks.shtml

      http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/UnknownMan22.jpg

      http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/CharlesV.jpg

      Eryn

    • Sebhdann
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2011
        On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Laurie Taylor <costumeraz1@...> wrote:

        > <<Snipped>>
        >
        > While I�m scrambling to build new garb for Estrella, all of these pieces
        > are
        > just sitting here, ignored and abandoned. If I could make them work, it
        > would be great. Otherwise, they probably will need to go away. I know that
        > their period authenticity ranges from dubious to non-existent, but what the
        > heck, if they work otherwise!

        Gelleia,

        If some of the pieces are too much trouble to rework, consider donating them
        to your local group's Gold Key garb closet. I'm sure there are many items
        in the average GK that are even less 'period authentic,' so you'll be doing
        a great service to both newcomers and the Society by donating them.

        --
        Sl�n!

        Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
        Shire of Wyewood, An Tir
        Clan Carn

        *mka Sue V.*

        Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
        We'll win the war and pay the toll,
        We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
        --'The March of Cambreadth'--Heather Alexander

      • Laurie Taylor
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 4, 2011
          Oh ABSOLUTELY! But first, since I did spend some $ for them, I need to take
          a stab at making them work in my garb wardrobe. I've already sent some
          stuff to our local Gold Keys and am sure more will follow someday!

          Gelleia

          > While I’m scrambling to build new garb for Estrella, all of these pieces
          > are
          > just sitting here, ignored and abandoned. If I could make them work, it
          > would be great. Otherwise, they probably will need to go away. I know that
          > their period authenticity ranges from dubious to non-existent, but what
          the
          > heck, if they work otherwise!

          Gelleia,

          If some of the pieces are too much trouble to rework, consider donating them
          to your local group's Gold Key garb closet. I'm sure there are many items
          in the average GK that are even less 'period authentic,' so you'll be doing
          a great service to both newcomers and the Society by donating them.

          --
          Slán!

          Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
          Shire of Wyewood, An Tir
          Clan Carn

          *mka Sue V.*
        • Charles
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 4, 2011
            > http://costumeraz.blogspot.com/2010/06/changing-directions.html

            > The first item pictured is probably a cotton or poly cotton blend in a
            > red/crème plaid, with huge grommets.

            This one needs a full lenght chemise and a skirt. Or it could be worn over a tudor kirtle kind of dress, though if you had a tudor kirtle that fit, you would probably want something more accurate to wear with it. You could wear it with a flat cap,

            > The next piece is an upholstery faux suede bodice – period – I don't now…not
            > a spectacular fit but useable, if only I could figure out what to wear it
            > over and with.

            This would be worn over a chemise and skirt, but it's not particularly accurate (seperate bodices are not that documentable. Most of what people interpret as seperate bodices where actually doublet or jacket kind of things worn over and entire gown). lots of people wear stuff like that, however. You could also wear it as a doublet over a shirt and breeches.

            > I'm not concerned about the green/gold jacquard bodice/corset…it is outside
            > of our period completely.

            Do you mean outside of SCA period, or the period of your persona? Because this could do passably well incorporated into a late 16th century Venetian outfit. You would need a chemise and ruffs, petticoat and undergown , or use this one as the foundation layer and add an overgown with a lightly boned bodice.

            > The red velvet bodice – sheesh…I have no clue. Anyone got any suggestions?

            This is the most bogus of the entire lot. I suspect it was supposed to be a belly dance top, but it could have been part of a terribly inaccurate Italian ren outfit. If you attached a gathered or gored skirt of matching velvet to it, it could pass for and Italian overgown, but you'd need a chemise and an Italian "kirtle" (called gornea, IIRC) to wear under it.

            > The blue gown with the black fur trim – actually this is probably not
            > wearable without a major overhaul…it would likely only need a chemise to be
            > complete, but it needs some work.

            This would not stand out as being too bad if you added some kind of late 14th or early 15th century headdress, or even just a wimple and veil. But I can only imagine wearing faux suede in the winter, in like, Minnesota.

            > The red wool kirtle with the metallic gold trim – this seems like it should
            > be useable. I just can't decide what it needs. A chemise and an undergown,
            > I suppose, but colors?
            Yes, chemise and kirtle. black, brown, red, dull green. grey, dull blue, all would go with red. Chemises, of course, only come in white.
          • otsisto
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2011
              Comments interspersed
              De: Most of these garments are created from the big 3 pattern companies. The
              plaid can be fudged into a Florentine basic gown.
              http://festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/3flor8.html
              http://festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/3flor9.html
              http://festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/3flor15.html
              Sew up the front of the skirt to about 3-5" from the waist (give room to get
              into it}.
              Get material and make detachable sleeves.
              Try, if you can to make the shoulder lacings as inconspicuous as possible.
              You will need a chemise, usually knee to upper calf length. I have yet to
              find floor length chemises or shifts.
              Petticoat can be worn.

              Gelleia: The next piece is an upholstery faux suede bodice – period – I don’

              De: This and the charcoal gray chemise would pass for Renfaire pirate.

              Gelleia: I’m not concerned about the green/gold jacquard bodice/corset…it is
              outside of our period completely.

              De: No not really.
              http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/Fasolo.JPG

              it would work under a Venetian "V" gown.
              http://tinyurl.com/67f5hbb

              Gelleia: The red velvet bodice – sheesh…I have no clue. Anyone got any
              suggestions?

              De: This is from a Big 3 pattern which included the garment the previous
              owner wore under it. If you add a skirt to it you could squeeze it by as
              1490 over gown.
              http://tinyurl.com/5uads3f

              Gelleia: The blue gown with the black fur trim – actually this is probably

              De: you would need a shift (which is not the gathered chemise) which can be
              with or without sleeves. An under gown of a complimentary color or same
              color. The neckline looks like it needs smoothing out or the fur removed.
              This is passable as is. Personally I would remove the fur, adjust the
              princess line and add trim. Then I would make a sideless to go over it to
              hide the princess seams, then see if the fur would work on a sideless.

              Gelleia: The red wool kirtle with the metallic gold trim – this seems like
              it should be useable. I just can’t decide what it needs. A chemise and an
              undergown, I suppose, but colors? Cut/shape? The wool had been washed
              after the trim was applied and had shrunk, yet the trim did not shrink, so
              the front hung very badly. I’ve pulled the trim, steamed the front edges
              and reapplied the trim and it hangs pretty well. Just needs pieces to
              complete the outfit. I think I’d get some good out of this one.

              De: This looks to be similar to one of "Sofi's" gowns.
              http://www.funfolly.com/h/c/c3401.htm
              This could pass for Flemish. Here is one dress diary. The red would be the
              outer gown.
              http://www.elizabethancostume.net/lowerclass/makeflem.html