Re: Beadwork of Carpathian Mountains (Hutsul, Boyko, Lemko, Bukovina)

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2010
      <<snip>>
      > I am interested in learning about the history of gerdany, sylyanky, drabynky
      > etc. what century these began to appear?
      <<snip>>

      According to Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova, who I believe has been teaching classes on beadwork, gerdany originated in the 17th to 18th centuries.

      She very briefly mentions this in a class handout here: http://sfandra.webs.com/MedallionGerdan2.doc
      But if you contacted her via the listed e-mail address in the handout, I'm sure she would discuss the documentable history in more detail.

      ~Asfridhr