Layers of Clothing was Italian Ren resources

  • Kat
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2010
      Hi Ghita.
      Different areas have different layers to give different silhouettes"

      I do mainly mid 16thC Florentine, but have a page that shows pics of the
      layers I use...
      this might help to see what it looks like.
      http://www.katerina.purplefiles.net/garb/diaries/1540FlorGettingDressed.html
      with doco here:
      http://www.katerina.purplefiles.net/DOCO/What%20Lies%20Beneath.pdf
      http://www.katerina.purplefiles.net/FlorenceFiles/FlorenceResearch.html

      Also try Oonagh's own. She has what she wears for 16thC Venetian.
      http://webspace.webring.com/people/lo/oonaghsown/Technically_Naked/index.html

      If you want non Italian, for comparison"
      For Elizabethan, try Drea Lead's article:
      http://www.elizabethancostume.net/overview.html
      with lots of articles at the mainpage
      http://www.elizabethancostume.net/

      For Tudor: Ninya Mikhaila from Tudor Tailor did a demo on layers to put on
      and pics can be found at Tudor Tailor in Vallejo set on Flickr by
      sstormwatch:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/41633059@N00/sets/72157594583565881/with/540057856/

      I hope this helps. I find pics help, and it is interesting to see how others
      have interpreted the layers.
      :)
      Kat
      La Signora Onorata Katerina da Brescia
      Innilgard, Lochac
      The Florence Files http://gatewaytoflorence.purplefiles.net

      "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as
      well dance!"

      >> Does anyone know of any good online resources for Italian ren?
      >> Something describing the layers, etc...all Im finding is commercial
      >> type patterns and pieces of garb that have combined almost all of the
      >> layers into one gown. I usually do earlier period but have a specific
      >> event I would like to make an Italian Ren outfit for. It doesnt have
      >> to be entirely period or perfect, its never going to be an A&S
      >> project, but I would like it to look nice and semi-authentic
      >> looking...
      >>
      >> ghita
    • Ghita
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 22, 2010
        > Hi Ghita.
        > Different areas have different layers to give different silhouettes"
        >
        > I do mainly mid 16thC Florentine, but have a page that shows pics of the
        > layers I use...

        All very awesome resources! Thanks so much!!

        My plan right now is:

        A white linen camica that isnt gathered around the neckline (I happen to already HAVE enough linen to make one that way, if I want to make it any fuller, it would require another fabric purchase...lol)

        A sheer white silk partlet without a collar (again, just happen to have a yard of 3mm silk gauze)

        A black silk gown (you call it a sottana, Ive seen it called other names, who knows..) with the higher waistline, natural waist if not an inch or so higher (carpaccio style?) and lower neckline

        Sleeves made of the same black silk

        I plan on embroidering and beading the bodice part and the sleeves of the gown.

        eventually the sleeveless overgown but probably not by the first time I wear the outfit.

        making a belt with beading

        no idea yet on shoes for this outfit...

        Does anyone have any online views of what the pattern shape might be for sleeves with the poofy roll on the top? I dont want the huge voluminous sleeves, just the small amount of roll....