Period brassiere

  • Sultana bint Mihail
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2009
      I heard from our Baronous who is apprentic to a garb Laurel thier is a Priod Bra . Women that have the bra say the bra does the same thing that the bodice does without shoulder pressue. It is made out of linen so it is cool to wear.She hasn't figured out the pattern yet.I am very interested in making one.Does anyone have a pattern to this bra?

      Sultana
    • Charles
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2009
        --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Sultana bint Mihail" <queenkword@...> wrote:

        > I heard from our Baronous who is apprentic to a garb Laurel thier is a Priod Bra . Women that have the bra say the bra does the same thing that the bodice does without shoulder pressue. It is made out of linen so it is cool to wear.She hasn't figured out the pattern yet.I am very interested in making one.Does anyone have a pattern to this bra?

        I think this is news to most of us. I would love to hear more about this if anyone knows about it. The only things I can think oif close to this are:

        1. the strophium... ancient Roman bandeau/shelf bra (not very supportive)

        2. Breast binding... linen bandages

        3. the choli.... an Indian garment, not really appropriate to Europe

        4. stays.... late period boned bodice

        As you can see, none of these is really a "bra". Tell us more when you learn of it... even just a reference or pic, don't wait until you get the pattern.

        Rashid
      • teresaofschattentor
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2009
          > > I heard from our Baronous who is apprentic to a garb Laurel thier is a Priod Bra .

          Saggy partlet puupies are no fun, I would guess most cultures had a way of dealing with them, even if nobody talked about it/left documentation.

          I would ask:

          What part of period?

          What Culture or region?

          Teresa
        • Elizabeth Pendeo
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2009
            not a brassiere exactly, but you might try the Self-Supporting Bodice ...

            YiS,
            Elizabeth Pendeo
            Montengarde / Avacal / AnTir

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2009
              --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "teresaofschattentor" <eyesofblue5_2@...> wrote:

              > > > I heard from our Baronous who is apprentic to a garb Laurel thier is a Priod Bra .
              >
              > Saggy partlet puupies are no fun, I would guess most cultures had a way of dealing with them, even if nobody talked about it/left documentation.

              In many European cultures, the rich would have used wet-nurses. There was also breast-binding, supportive kirtles and stays in various periods, though none of those is actually a brassiere.

              But don't assume that because you would do something about it that it would have been obvious to them. They could have considered it was just something you had to deal with, or their techniques could have been completely ineffective. (have you ever seen any recipes for period toothpaste? Many of them had large quantitites of sugar or honey, which we know to be very effective in promoting cavities!)

              Rashid
            • Lila Richards
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 7, 2009
                Charles wrote:
                > But don't assume that because you would do something about it that it would have been obvious to them. They could have considered it was just something you had to deal with, or their techniques could have been completely ineffective.

                Or, depending on time and place, they may simply not have seen it as a problem.

                Sinech.

                Absolutely Write! Adding Value to Communication
                Editing and Proofreading Service lilar@...
                http://absolutelywrite.webs.com/
              • Vicky Eisenstadt
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 8, 2009
                  Exactly! When we teach research and documentation here, one of the hardest
                  things we encounter is the tendency to ascribe modern thought patterns,
                  modern attitudes, modern priorities, to the mindsets of people from 700
                  years ago. I learned the hard way, and now *I* tell people all the time:
                  learn about the culture that spawned the art/craft/science *first*. What was
                  important to THEM, how did THEY think......that will do much to explain the
                  "whys" of a lot and keep you from going down really wrong turns when you
                  start a project.

                  When we start off putting *our* attitudes and priorities on say...14th
                  century England, we are dooming ourselves to get it very, very wrong.

                  Your servant,
                  Alysoun

                  --
                  "ugliness is seen and noticed, but it is beauty that is sometimes ignored."
                  Baron Gryfyn de Mohun