Re: [SCA-Garb] Help with Italian Ren Headpiece

  • lori h-b/ raven
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2009
      http://www.virtue.to/articles/easy_cauls.html

      You can use the instructions for measurement from http://www.virtue.to/articles/coif.html but make it fit the back of the head more.

      raven

      After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2009
        --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "cmsciulli" <cmsciulli@...> wrote:

        > Ideally, I'd like to make a cap like the one in this painting:
        > http://www.alanjoanhere.com/images/2009%20Italy/2009_Italy_FlorenceGhirlandaio1.jpg
        >
        > and this costumer's site:
        >
        > http://cadieux.mediumaevum.com/both-capulets.jpg
        >
        > Is this headpiece considered a caul or a Juliet cap? Would it be appropriate?
        >
        > Is there an easy way to create it? The cadieux site I linked above has instructions, but I don't have a foam head and I was wondering if there was another way.

        That would be a Juliet cap. You could use a tailor's ham or even a stuffed animal whose bum is the same size as your head for a form. You could aslo use a styrafoam sphere if it was the right size.

        If you are making a dress that is the simlar to the one in the pic, then it would be appropriate for SCA, but I do not know if there are any rules of particular renfaires it might violate.

        You might also want to talk to the sca hatmaking group:

      • cmsciulli
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21, 2009
          That would be a Juliet cap. You could use a tailor's ham or even a stuffed animal whose bum is the same size as your head for a form. You could aslo use a styrafoam sphere if it was the right size.

          > If you are making a dress that is the simlar to the one in the pic, then it would be appropriate for SCA, but I do not know if there are any rules of particular renfaires it might violate.
          >
          > You might also want to talk to the sca hatmaking group:
          >
          > Rashid

          Ah, many thanks :-)

          I think that for the Ren Faire I will be attending and working at this summer, as long as you are dressed in a renaissance period style and aren't showing any watches, sunglasses, facial-piercing, tattoos, crazy dye jobs, etc. you are good.

          Don't get me strated on the tavern wench and belly dancing outfits. . . hopefully we won't have a lot of that this year ><