Romany Garb

  • Marc Boyett
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 24, 2008
      Greetings folks,
      My lady and I are looking for links or ideas for Romany Garb. She is in
      the process of changing her garb to being more summer friendly.
      Any suggestions?

      Thanks
      Murphy
    • tj.black@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 25, 2008
        This I would be interested in as well.....my family comes from
        Hungary and Romania, and my Grandfather was a Gypsy.....I have never
        done much research in that area though....

        --
        " Don't let negative people rent space in your head"

        Medic Pedic Zed Oblique
        Orfic Morphic Dorfic Greek
        Ad Hoc Ad Loc and Quid Pro Qou
        So little Time
        So Much to Know

        The works of God are fair for naught unless our eyes, in seeing.
        See hidden in the thing, the thought, that animates its being.

        Then I slept.
        Sweet rest. Sweet darkness.
        Would that death were like this. Would that one would sleep and sleep
        and sleep forever.
      • Heather Law
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 25, 2008
        • Phoebe Vogt
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 25, 2008
            For Romany Garb it depends on when and where you are placing your persona and if they are "Gypsy/Romani" or if they are Romanian (There's a difference). What are you looking for?

            Talk to you soon,

            Sapphyrah Rozvardo

            (The 13th century Persian Rromani working in the Saracen camp in Jerusalem)

            When we long for a life with no difficulties, please remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds, and diamonds are made under pressure.
            - Peter Marshall

          • Marian Walke
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 8, 2008
              Marc Boyett wrote:

              > Greetings folks,
              > My lady and I are looking for links or ideas for Romany Garb. She is in
              > the process of changing her garb to being more summer friendly.
              > Any suggestions?

              You can look at my web page,
              http://www.buttery.org/marian/Gypsy_dress/drape_main.htm
              but you won't like it. Period Gypsies did not dress like lightly clad
              belly dancers.

              --Old Marian
            • unclrashid
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 8, 2008
                I really like your reconstruction of the blanket drape.

                Rashid

                --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Marian Walke <marian@...> wrote:
                > You can look at my web page,
                > http://www.buttery.org/marian/Gypsy_dress/drape_main.htm
                > but you won't like it. Period Gypsies did not dress like lightly
                clad
                > belly dancers.
                >
                > --Old Marian

              • Brangwyne
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 8, 2008
                  hmmmmm....I seem to remember your face....

                  <beats brain>

                  Brangwyne

                  Marian Walke wrote:
                  > Marc Boyett wrote:
                  >
                  >> Greetings folks,
                  >> My lady and I are looking for links or ideas for Romany Garb. She is in
                  >> the process of changing her garb to being more summer friendly.
                  >> Any suggestions?
                  >>

                  > You can look at my web page,
                  > http://www.buttery.org/marian/Gypsy_dress/drape_main.htm
                  > but you won't like it. Period Gypsies did not dress like lightly clad
                  > belly dancers.
                  >
                  > --Old Marian
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  > Trimming is safe and saves your eyes, and the eyes of your friends. Trim your post today and save an eyeball. Public Service Announcement courtesy of SCA-Garb and your friendly neighborhood moderator.
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Sharon
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 9, 2008
                    Thank you for the link this is exactly what I need for my daughter in law,
                    but had not gotten around to asking for, the instructions are clear enough
                    for my muddled brain and I intend to give it a try. Did you figure out the
                    turban you were wanting?
                    Blessed Be,
                    Sharon
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
                    that take our breath away!

                    > You can look at my web page,
                    > http://www.buttery.org/marian/Gypsy_dress/drape_main.htm
                    > but you won't like it. Period Gypsies did not dress like lightly clad
                    > belly dancers.
                    >
                    > --Old Marian
                  • Marian Walke
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 10, 2008
                      Sharon wrote:

                      > Thank you for the link this is exactly what I need for my daughter in law,
                      > but had not gotten around to asking for, the instructions are clear enough
                      > for my muddled brain and I intend to give it a try.

                      You're welcome.

                      > Did you figure out the
                      > turban you were wanting?

                      Pretty much. I wore version 2 at the War, and I have some ideas for
                      version 3 that may be even better. I'll post pictures when I'm
                      satisfied with the project.

                      --Old Marian