Re: Cross-posted: New Norse Clothing Research

  • Ann Catelli
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2008
      > I dunno about wearing those big honkin` pins
      > THERE...looks kinda uncomfortable!
      >
      > But since WHEN was fashion mindful of comfort?
      >
      > -barb-

      The reconstructions suggested by this archaeologist
      puts the expensive decorations in the small of the
      back only.

      That doesn't make sense from any fashion perspective,
      or even a logical one. ;)

      All the other second-hand research that I have seen,
      says that the Norse would tend to decorate from the
      waist up in the front, for the maximum effect. Check
      out the Viking Answer Lady or Thora Sharptooth's
      pages, and check back through their sources for a more
      useful picture for yourself.

      And the brooches were not immediately on the breasts,
      probably.

      Ann in CT

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Ken Nye
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2008
        --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Ann Catelli <elvestoorder@...> wrote:
        > The reconstructions suggested by this archaeologist
        > puts the expensive decorations in the small of the
        > back only.
        >
        > That doesn't make sense from any fashion perspective,
        > or even a logical one. ;)

        Oh... How soon we forget. I've got several bias cut dresses from the
        1930's that were worn by an elderly friend in her youth, all
        perfectly plain in the front, the only decoration being a big
        glittery dress clip right at the center of the deep V of the back
        neckline. Puts the ornament right in the small of the back.

        And those bustles of the mid 1880's. There were lots of perfectly
        plain dresses except for big, elaborately draped poufs on the butt.

        The emphasis of fashion tends to shift around a woman's body, and not
        in any sort of logical order so I wouldn't judge the lady's theory on
        those terms.

        Does make me wonder if the brooches were worn at a standard level or
        followed the course of gravity as a woman aged...

        Ken. =8-0