MOD POST. Please read

  • Heather/Margaret
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2007
      It's time for that reminder again. We modly types are getting a ratio of
      about 3 in 10 wherein we're approving 3 moderated posts in ten. Of those
      other seven, one to three are spambots' posts, but the rest are ALL
      posts wherein folks are not trimming replies.

      You must trim your posts of previous replies and include *only* the
      portion of the previous post to which you're responding. If you find
      that you're moderated (as are all new members to the list) consider your
      posts. If you're leaving in eight posts gone before yours in your reply,
      your post will not be approved. For a while we mods sent notes with
      rejected-for-no-trimming posts and occasionally edited posts, with
      all-caps notations reminding of the list requirements. As an experiment,
      it failed utterly - there was no effect on reducing bad posting
      behavior. Therefore we no longer do that. If your moderated post doesn't
      make it, you need pretty badly to look at your posts and your email
      settings. An email program's setting of "Quote all text in the email
      you're responding to" does you NO favors here once you start getting
      involved in a thread and can't trim those former replies. Consider
      re-examining that setting if you find yourself enjoying frequent posting
      here, but find that your posts are not receiving approval.

      This list has thousands of folks on it. Significant numbers of those are
      on digest - and to remind you, that means that when you include all of
      the posts in your response ALL of it is included in the digest, too.
      Therefore our members on digest are subjected to seeing the same posts
      in unnecessary multiplicity. Our policy of not approving those posts is
      in keeping not just with the SCA-Garb's long-standing policy but it's
      with thought to the inboxes and retention of our digest members.

      If you wonder if you're on moderation for this reason, simply contact a
      member of your mod team. If you have questions about how to trim your
      posts of previous replies, do the same and we'll help as we're able.

      Thanks,
      Your mods