Re: [SCA-Archery] Bow Tuning

  • Marko Peussa
    Message 1 of 44 , Aug 7, 2002
      The aiming in Heki Ryu is done as follows. The Ryu uses Japanese release
      which is very close to Mongolian. The arrow is on the right side of the bow
      handle, when looking from the direction of the shooters eyes.

      1. Get a friend. Have him stand behind you while you go to full draw. Keep
      your both eyes open. Note, the anchoring is done by placing the arrow shaft
      just below right right cheekbone.
      2. Have your friend look over your arrow. It should point directly to the
      target, not to the left, or not to the right.
      3. Your friend may have to tell you to move your aim to the left or right,
      depending on where your arrow initially points.
      4. When the arrow is pointing directly at the target, remember where you see
      the target on the bow handle. It can be a little bit left of the bow handle,
      just touching it, or seen fully through the bow handle, or anything in
      between.

      See where your arrow goes upon release. If your arrow spine is heavy, it
      should go to the right of the target. There are now two ways to counter
      this. In Heki Ryu Insai Ha, the bow handle is rotated to the left, away from
      the arrow, upon release. This is a very difficult thing to do, but when done
      properly, the arrow will fly straight and fast to the target. You can get
      10-20 % more speed to the arrow flight. I don't recommend trying this
      without proper teaching. Your bow is not probably designed for this kind of
      release and it may be damaged.

      Perhaps setting the arrow spine right would help to get the arrow fly more
      to the left.

      Does the above help at all for aiming? I'm sorry that I have no info on
      Mongolian way of aiming.

      Klaus

      > Good guess. What I described in the previous post related to using a
      > standard one-over-two-under, arrow-on-left-of-bow style. When I shoot the
      > same bow using the traditional asiatic method, I grip the bow more
      > "normally." My problem is, I can't figure out how to aim using the
      asiatic
      > style.
      >
      > Andras
    • John Edgerton
      Message 44 of 44 , Aug 19, 2002
        I did not save the post, but did someone say something a while back about having
        better luck using longer arrows with the Hun bow? If this was correct, did it
        refer to using a longer draw and longer arrows or just longer arrows?