Re: [SCA-Archery] Newbie question... (bear with me please!)

  • Richard Endress
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2002

      --
      Richard rearcher@...

      This message was sent through Atlantic.Net Webmail.
      Sick of pop-up ads and climbing prices?
      Visit www.atlantic.net to get pure Internet for $19.95/mo.
    • godwinthearcher
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2002
        --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "elbrethofmontrose" <pk_lioness@h...> wrote:
        > Yep, I'm another newbie... :) And loving it...
        > I'm looking at buying myself a new bow, and wondering what I should
        > be looking at/for/etc. Can anyone give me any ideas?
        > ~Lady Elbreth of Montrose

        Lady Elbreth, you may want to tell us what area you do reside in. The
        people on this list can then point you towards your local Captain of
        Archers, or Archery Marshall. You will recieve as many different
        wonderful opinions on this subject as there are people to give them.

        There are some guidlines though that can be passed on, that I
        think most people will agree with.

        Start light. If you have not shot before, you want start light. 30lbs
        maximum.

        Don't limit yourself to "period" bows. There is only one bow not
        allowed in SCA use, and that's the compound bow. So that leaves
        longbows, flatbows and recurves.

        If you want to look for used bows, please consult an experienced
        archer / marshal before laying down the dough. Especially for bows
        that may be bought from a pawn shop.

        Please ask more questions. This is most definately the place for it,
        because of the wealth of information that may be found on this list.

        Godwin
      • elbrethofmontrose
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2002
          Thankyou, Godwin, Richard & Brea :)
          I appreciate the feedback. I'm from Vingaard, Barony of Borealis,
          Principality of Avacal, Kingdom of An Tir... :) to be specific. I may
          have met our Archery Marshall, but I'm not sure. Is there someone
          that would know? He may be Lord Deicyn... But because I've not been
          to much of anything yet I'm still trying to figure out who's who.
          I used to teach basic archery to kids at a summer camp, so I've used
          recurves and longbows, but what's a flatbow like? And how does it
          differ? I'm not sure if I want to get into combat archery yet or not,
          definatly target though.
          ~Lady Elbreth of Montrose

          --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "godwinthearcher" <Godwin@r...> wrote:
          > --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "elbrethofmontrose" <pk_lioness@h...>
          wrote:
          > > Yep, I'm another newbie... :) And loving it...
          > > I'm looking at buying myself a new bow, and wondering what I
          should
          > > be looking at/for/etc. Can anyone give me any ideas?
          > > ~Lady Elbreth of Montrose
          >
          > Lady Elbreth, you may want to tell us what area you do reside in.
          The
          > people on this list can then point you towards your local Captain
          of
          > Archers, or Archery Marshall. You will recieve as many different
          > wonderful opinions on this subject as there are people to give them.
          >
          > There are some guidlines though that can be passed on, that I
          > think most people will agree with.
          >
          > Start light. If you have not shot before, you want start light.
          30lbs
          > maximum.
          >
          > Don't limit yourself to "period" bows. There is only one bow not
          > allowed in SCA use, and that's the compound bow. So that leaves
          > longbows, flatbows and recurves.
          >
          > If you want to look for used bows, please consult an experienced
          > archer / marshal before laying down the dough. Especially for bows
          > that may be bought from a pawn shop.
          >
          > Please ask more questions. This is most definately the place for
          it,
          > because of the wealth of information that may be found on this list.
          >
          > Godwin
        • Emil Stecher
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 8, 2002
            Greetings to the readers of this list,
            From Barak Raz

            Can anyone talk about the quality of product from
            woodbows.com vs. the product from baronbows.com?

            I note that woodbows specifies that their product is
            red oak with linen backing, while baronbows is cherry
            or (unspecified oak) with hickory backing. Any
            comments about one set of materials vs the other,
            especially in terms of longevity (and no, I don't
            expect either bow to last forever. A wise old archery
            marshal once said to me, "There are only so many shots
            in a wooden bow.
            After they're used up, it makes a great tomato
            stake.")

            I seem to remember someone writing that they had
            purchased two bows from woodbows, one of which broke
            almost immediately. Does anyone else have anecdotal
            evidence to offer?

            I assume that there is still someone from Baron Bows
            on the list and ask them to forgive me for doing my
            comparison shopping in their face, but I can only
            afford to purchase one bow and really need any advice
            the list can give.

            Barak Raz
            (Emil M Stecher)
            (gwrgi@...)

            HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
            http://www.hotjobs.com
          • godwinthearcher
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 10, 2002
              --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Emil Stecher <gwrgi@y...> wrote:

              > Greetings to the readers of this list,
              > From Barak Raz
              >
              > Can anyone talk about the quality of product from
              > woodbows.com vs. the product from baronbows.com?

              > -snip-
              >
              > I seem to remember someone writing that they had
              > purchased two bows from woodbows, one of which broke
              > almost immediately. Does anyone else have anecdotal
              > evidence to offer?

              -snip-

              > Barak Raz
              > (Emil M Stecher)
              > (gwrgi@y...)

              I had purchased 50lb and a 36lb bow from woodbows.com. Both were
              auctions from E-bay, but were new bows. Both were linen backed
              red-oak. I bought the 50lb bow to shoot, and the 36lb to use as
              regalia. After shooting the 50lb'er for about 2 months, it broke. It
              cracked about 15 inches above the grip on the back. At that point, a
              piece of the belly about 15 inches long broke out, and went wizzing
              past behind me, leaving the bow in 3 pieces.

              I contacted Woodbows and they replaced the bow at no charge, with one
              that was not backed (red oak). They were quite concerned about the
              breakage, and we conversed several times about the incident. They
              told me then, that were strongly considering not making any more
              linen back bows. Evidently they have had several self destruct. I have
              shot the new bow quite a few times, but have since relegated it to
              holding my personal arms banner.

              The bows I recieved from Woodbows were rough, saw and rasp marks still
              quite visible, without fine finish. Both 50lb bows had such hand
              shock, that on several occasions, I received a thin line of blood
              blister where calouses should be at the base of your fingers, because
              of the vibration.

              To be fair, I guess I got what I paid for, which was 40 bucks for the
              50lb'er and 45 for the 36lb'er. (difference because of auction).

              Having since purchased a used long/flatbow at a swap-meet and getting
              experience with it, and then attending a class and building own
              longbow, there is no fair comparison.

              I do not have any experience with Baronbows though.

              Godwin
            • lespaulzoso86
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 10, 2002
                both have extremly nice the people at the locations and are willing
                to answer questions and help people. Both are truely concerned with
                the quality and hold up of their bows. woodbows.coms bows are made
                to be rough looking for an effect. Baronbows are much more finished
                and worked out. Iv shot mostly 30 to 40 pounders of both of these.
                Being Im 16 and short anymore with the added length is almost too
                much. All the ones from both I have shot have been well built. The
                woodbows do have vibration a goodly bit to deal with. The barons
                dont have as much but at the same time arent true D shaped lonbows.
                They make one thats close but not right on. Both are well made
                and if you have a problem with a bow they will work with you no
                questions asked. Hope that helps.