Re: [SCA-Archery] Newbie question... (bear with me please!)

  • Richard Endress
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3 12:08 PM

      --
      Richard rearcher@...

      This message was sent through Atlantic.Net Webmail.
      Sick of pop-up ads and climbing prices?
      Visit www.atlantic.net to get pure Internet for $19.95/mo.
    • Brea
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3 1:40 PM
        l am not completly sure but l need to answer these questions if l want to become marshal soon. All l can really say is that to go to the local archery shop and look for a period bow that you can shoot multiple times. Most of the time when l shoot l usually use a thirty pounder. Peroid bows as you probably know are the ones found in the medevil times. That is the best l can do at this time.
        Brea of rivers run
        elbrethofmontrose
        wrote:Yep, I'm another newbie... :) And loving it...
        I'm looking at buying myself a new bow, and wondering what I should
        be looking at/for/etc. Can anyone give me any ideas?
        ~Lady Elbreth of Montrose

        Brea of Rivers Run

        The waters part and out of the blue a figure appears

      • godwinthearcher
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3 2:32 PM
          --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "elbrethofmontrose" <pk_lioness@h...> wrote:
          > Yep, I'm another newbie... :) And loving it...
          > I'm looking at buying myself a new bow, and wondering what I should
          > be looking at/for/etc. Can anyone give me any ideas?
          > ~Lady Elbreth of Montrose

          Lady Elbreth, you may want to tell us what area you do reside in. The
          people on this list can then point you towards your local Captain of
          Archers, or Archery Marshall. You will recieve as many different
          wonderful opinions on this subject as there are people to give them.

          There are some guidlines though that can be passed on, that I
          think most people will agree with.

          Start light. If you have not shot before, you want start light. 30lbs
          maximum.

          Don't limit yourself to "period" bows. There is only one bow not
          allowed in SCA use, and that's the compound bow. So that leaves
          longbows, flatbows and recurves.

          If you want to look for used bows, please consult an experienced
          archer / marshal before laying down the dough. Especially for bows
          that may be bought from a pawn shop.

          Please ask more questions. This is most definately the place for it,
          because of the wealth of information that may be found on this list.

          Godwin
        • elbrethofmontrose
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3 5:44 PM
            Thankyou, Godwin, Richard & Brea :)
            I appreciate the feedback. I'm from Vingaard, Barony of Borealis,
            Principality of Avacal, Kingdom of An Tir... :) to be specific. I may
            have met our Archery Marshall, but I'm not sure. Is there someone
            that would know? He may be Lord Deicyn... But because I've not been
            to much of anything yet I'm still trying to figure out who's who.
            I used to teach basic archery to kids at a summer camp, so I've used
            recurves and longbows, but what's a flatbow like? And how does it
            differ? I'm not sure if I want to get into combat archery yet or not,
            definatly target though.
            ~Lady Elbreth of Montrose

            --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "godwinthearcher" <Godwin@r...> wrote:
            > --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "elbrethofmontrose" <pk_lioness@h...>
            wrote:
            > > Yep, I'm another newbie... :) And loving it...
            > > I'm looking at buying myself a new bow, and wondering what I
            should
            > > be looking at/for/etc. Can anyone give me any ideas?
            > > ~Lady Elbreth of Montrose
            >
            > Lady Elbreth, you may want to tell us what area you do reside in.
            The
            > people on this list can then point you towards your local Captain
            of
            > Archers, or Archery Marshall. You will recieve as many different
            > wonderful opinions on this subject as there are people to give them.
            >
            > There are some guidlines though that can be passed on, that I
            > think most people will agree with.
            >
            > Start light. If you have not shot before, you want start light.
            30lbs
            > maximum.
            >
            > Don't limit yourself to "period" bows. There is only one bow not
            > allowed in SCA use, and that's the compound bow. So that leaves
            > longbows, flatbows and recurves.
            >
            > If you want to look for used bows, please consult an experienced
            > archer / marshal before laying down the dough. Especially for bows
            > that may be bought from a pawn shop.
            >
            > Please ask more questions. This is most definately the place for
            it,
            > because of the wealth of information that may be found on this list.
            >
            > Godwin
          • Emil Stecher
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8 11:27 AM
              Greetings to the readers of this list,
              From Barak Raz

              Can anyone talk about the quality of product from
              woodbows.com vs. the product from baronbows.com?

              I note that woodbows specifies that their product is
              red oak with linen backing, while baronbows is cherry
              or (unspecified oak) with hickory backing. Any
              comments about one set of materials vs the other,
              especially in terms of longevity (and no, I don't
              expect either bow to last forever. A wise old archery
              marshal once said to me, "There are only so many shots
              in a wooden bow.
              After they're used up, it makes a great tomato
              stake.")

              I seem to remember someone writing that they had
              purchased two bows from woodbows, one of which broke
              almost immediately. Does anyone else have anecdotal
              evidence to offer?

              I assume that there is still someone from Baron Bows
              on the list and ask them to forgive me for doing my
              comparison shopping in their face, but I can only
              afford to purchase one bow and really need any advice
              the list can give.

              Barak Raz
              (Emil M Stecher)
              (gwrgi@...)

              HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
              http://www.hotjobs.com
            • godwinthearcher
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 10 11:31 AM
                --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Emil Stecher <gwrgi@y...> wrote:

                > Greetings to the readers of this list,
                > From Barak Raz
                >
                > Can anyone talk about the quality of product from
                > woodbows.com vs. the product from baronbows.com?

                > -snip-
                >
                > I seem to remember someone writing that they had
                > purchased two bows from woodbows, one of which broke
                > almost immediately. Does anyone else have anecdotal
                > evidence to offer?

                -snip-

                > Barak Raz
                > (Emil M Stecher)
                > (gwrgi@y...)

                I had purchased 50lb and a 36lb bow from woodbows.com. Both were
                auctions from E-bay, but were new bows. Both were linen backed
                red-oak. I bought the 50lb bow to shoot, and the 36lb to use as
                regalia. After shooting the 50lb'er for about 2 months, it broke. It
                cracked about 15 inches above the grip on the back. At that point, a
                piece of the belly about 15 inches long broke out, and went wizzing
                past behind me, leaving the bow in 3 pieces.

                I contacted Woodbows and they replaced the bow at no charge, with one
                that was not backed (red oak). They were quite concerned about the
                breakage, and we conversed several times about the incident. They
                told me then, that were strongly considering not making any more
                linen back bows. Evidently they have had several self destruct. I have
                shot the new bow quite a few times, but have since relegated it to
                holding my personal arms banner.

                The bows I recieved from Woodbows were rough, saw and rasp marks still
                quite visible, without fine finish. Both 50lb bows had such hand
                shock, that on several occasions, I received a thin line of blood
                blister where calouses should be at the base of your fingers, because
                of the vibration.

                To be fair, I guess I got what I paid for, which was 40 bucks for the
                50lb'er and 45 for the 36lb'er. (difference because of auction).

                Having since purchased a used long/flatbow at a swap-meet and getting
                experience with it, and then attending a class and building own
                longbow, there is no fair comparison.

                I do not have any experience with Baronbows though.

                Godwin
              • lespaulzoso86
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 10 4:29 PM
                  both have extremly nice the people at the locations and are willing
                  to answer questions and help people. Both are truely concerned with
                  the quality and hold up of their bows. woodbows.coms bows are made
                  to be rough looking for an effect. Baronbows are much more finished
                  and worked out. Iv shot mostly 30 to 40 pounders of both of these.
                  Being Im 16 and short anymore with the added length is almost too
                  much. All the ones from both I have shot have been well built. The
                  woodbows do have vibration a goodly bit to deal with. The barons
                  dont have as much but at the same time arent true D shaped lonbows.
                  They make one thats close but not right on. Both are well made
                  and if you have a problem with a bow they will work with you no
                  questions asked. Hope that helps.