Newbie question... (bear with me please!)

  • elbrethofmontrose
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2002
      Yep, I'm another newbie... :) And loving it...
      I'm looking at buying myself a new bow, and wondering what I should
      be looking at/for/etc. Can anyone give me any ideas?
      ~Lady Elbreth of Montrose
    • Richard Endress
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2002

        --
        Richard rearcher@...

        This message was sent through Atlantic.Net Webmail.
        Sick of pop-up ads and climbing prices?
        Visit www.atlantic.net to get pure Internet for $19.95/mo.
      • Brea
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2002
          l am not completly sure but l need to answer these questions if l want to become marshal soon. All l can really say is that to go to the local archery shop and look for a period bow that you can shoot multiple times. Most of the time when l shoot l usually use a thirty pounder. Peroid bows as you probably know are the ones found in the medevil times. That is the best l can do at this time.
          Brea of rivers run
          elbrethofmontrose
          wrote:Yep, I'm another newbie... :) And loving it...
          I'm looking at buying myself a new bow, and wondering what I should
          be looking at/for/etc. Can anyone give me any ideas?
          ~Lady Elbreth of Montrose

          Brea of Rivers Run

          The waters part and out of the blue a figure appears

        • godwinthearcher
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2002
            --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "elbrethofmontrose" <pk_lioness@h...> wrote:
            > Yep, I'm another newbie... :) And loving it...
            > I'm looking at buying myself a new bow, and wondering what I should
            > be looking at/for/etc. Can anyone give me any ideas?
            > ~Lady Elbreth of Montrose

            Lady Elbreth, you may want to tell us what area you do reside in. The
            people on this list can then point you towards your local Captain of
            Archers, or Archery Marshall. You will recieve as many different
            wonderful opinions on this subject as there are people to give them.

            There are some guidlines though that can be passed on, that I
            think most people will agree with.

            Start light. If you have not shot before, you want start light. 30lbs
            maximum.

            Don't limit yourself to "period" bows. There is only one bow not
            allowed in SCA use, and that's the compound bow. So that leaves
            longbows, flatbows and recurves.

            If you want to look for used bows, please consult an experienced
            archer / marshal before laying down the dough. Especially for bows
            that may be bought from a pawn shop.

            Please ask more questions. This is most definately the place for it,
            because of the wealth of information that may be found on this list.

            Godwin
          • elbrethofmontrose
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2002
              Thankyou, Godwin, Richard & Brea :)
              I appreciate the feedback. I'm from Vingaard, Barony of Borealis,
              Principality of Avacal, Kingdom of An Tir... :) to be specific. I may
              have met our Archery Marshall, but I'm not sure. Is there someone
              that would know? He may be Lord Deicyn... But because I've not been
              to much of anything yet I'm still trying to figure out who's who.
              I used to teach basic archery to kids at a summer camp, so I've used
              recurves and longbows, but what's a flatbow like? And how does it
              differ? I'm not sure if I want to get into combat archery yet or not,
              definatly target though.
              ~Lady Elbreth of Montrose

              --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "godwinthearcher" <Godwin@r...> wrote:
              > --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "elbrethofmontrose" <pk_lioness@h...>
              wrote:
              > > Yep, I'm another newbie... :) And loving it...
              > > I'm looking at buying myself a new bow, and wondering what I
              should
              > > be looking at/for/etc. Can anyone give me any ideas?
              > > ~Lady Elbreth of Montrose
              >
              > Lady Elbreth, you may want to tell us what area you do reside in.
              The
              > people on this list can then point you towards your local Captain
              of
              > Archers, or Archery Marshall. You will recieve as many different
              > wonderful opinions on this subject as there are people to give them.
              >
              > There are some guidlines though that can be passed on, that I
              > think most people will agree with.
              >
              > Start light. If you have not shot before, you want start light.
              30lbs
              > maximum.
              >
              > Don't limit yourself to "period" bows. There is only one bow not
              > allowed in SCA use, and that's the compound bow. So that leaves
              > longbows, flatbows and recurves.
              >
              > If you want to look for used bows, please consult an experienced
              > archer / marshal before laying down the dough. Especially for bows
              > that may be bought from a pawn shop.
              >
              > Please ask more questions. This is most definately the place for
              it,
              > because of the wealth of information that may be found on this list.
              >
              > Godwin
            • Emil Stecher
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 8, 2002
                Greetings to the readers of this list,
                From Barak Raz

                Can anyone talk about the quality of product from
                woodbows.com vs. the product from baronbows.com?

                I note that woodbows specifies that their product is
                red oak with linen backing, while baronbows is cherry
                or (unspecified oak) with hickory backing. Any
                comments about one set of materials vs the other,
                especially in terms of longevity (and no, I don't
                expect either bow to last forever. A wise old archery
                marshal once said to me, "There are only so many shots
                in a wooden bow.
                After they're used up, it makes a great tomato
                stake.")

                I seem to remember someone writing that they had
                purchased two bows from woodbows, one of which broke
                almost immediately. Does anyone else have anecdotal
                evidence to offer?

                I assume that there is still someone from Baron Bows
                on the list and ask them to forgive me for doing my
                comparison shopping in their face, but I can only
                afford to purchase one bow and really need any advice
                the list can give.

                Barak Raz
                (Emil M Stecher)
                (gwrgi@...)

                HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                http://www.hotjobs.com
              • godwinthearcher
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 10, 2002
                  --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Emil Stecher <gwrgi@y...> wrote:

                  > Greetings to the readers of this list,
                  > From Barak Raz
                  >
                  > Can anyone talk about the quality of product from
                  > woodbows.com vs. the product from baronbows.com?

                  > -snip-
                  >
                  > I seem to remember someone writing that they had
                  > purchased two bows from woodbows, one of which broke
                  > almost immediately. Does anyone else have anecdotal
                  > evidence to offer?

                  -snip-

                  > Barak Raz
                  > (Emil M Stecher)
                  > (gwrgi@y...)

                  I had purchased 50lb and a 36lb bow from woodbows.com. Both were
                  auctions from E-bay, but were new bows. Both were linen backed
                  red-oak. I bought the 50lb bow to shoot, and the 36lb to use as
                  regalia. After shooting the 50lb'er for about 2 months, it broke. It
                  cracked about 15 inches above the grip on the back. At that point, a
                  piece of the belly about 15 inches long broke out, and went wizzing
                  past behind me, leaving the bow in 3 pieces.

                  I contacted Woodbows and they replaced the bow at no charge, with one
                  that was not backed (red oak). They were quite concerned about the
                  breakage, and we conversed several times about the incident. They
                  told me then, that were strongly considering not making any more
                  linen back bows. Evidently they have had several self destruct. I have
                  shot the new bow quite a few times, but have since relegated it to
                  holding my personal arms banner.

                  The bows I recieved from Woodbows were rough, saw and rasp marks still
                  quite visible, without fine finish. Both 50lb bows had such hand
                  shock, that on several occasions, I received a thin line of blood
                  blister where calouses should be at the base of your fingers, because
                  of the vibration.

                  To be fair, I guess I got what I paid for, which was 40 bucks for the
                  50lb'er and 45 for the 36lb'er. (difference because of auction).

                  Having since purchased a used long/flatbow at a swap-meet and getting
                  experience with it, and then attending a class and building own
                  longbow, there is no fair comparison.

                  I do not have any experience with Baronbows though.

                  Godwin
                • lespaulzoso86
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 10, 2002
                    both have extremly nice the people at the locations and are willing
                    to answer questions and help people. Both are truely concerned with
                    the quality and hold up of their bows. woodbows.coms bows are made
                    to be rough looking for an effect. Baronbows are much more finished
                    and worked out. Iv shot mostly 30 to 40 pounders of both of these.
                    Being Im 16 and short anymore with the added length is almost too
                    much. All the ones from both I have shot have been well built. The
                    woodbows do have vibration a goodly bit to deal with. The barons
                    dont have as much but at the same time arent true D shaped lonbows.
                    They make one thats close but not right on. Both are well made
                    and if you have a problem with a bow they will work with you no
                    questions asked. Hope that helps.