Has anyone made their own bow?

  • fortunata_trb
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 30 6:39 PM
      I found some instructions on the internet on how to make your own
      bow, including the tiller used to train the wood, and I was wondering
      if anyone had made their own bow and would have any tips, or
      suggestions on what to avoid and what to do, to make a good bow?

      Thanks
      Fortunata
    • 'Carnyval' Pearl D.Buttons
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 30 6:45 PM
        Fortunata,
        I have never done so, but would be interested if you could post the instructions to the list, and possibly scan pictures, if not,
        maybe you would be interested in sending that info via snail mail.
        Serafina of Haer~Dragan

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 30 9:17 PM
          I would suggest getting a few more instructions on bow making than
          just a web site.
          The three volumnes of The Traditional Bowyer's Bible will be a great
          start, especially #1. The Bent Stick, by Paul Comstock would come
          next. Also Hunting the Osage Bow, by Dean Torges.

          If you can find a bowyer in your area (wether SCA or not, don't get
          into the very mistaken idea that the SCA are the only ones making and
          using wood bows) that can help you out initially your learning curve
          will be greatly shortened. Seeing things in person vs. seeing them
          in a book will make a big difference.

          Start off with board bows. The proper board from Home Depot will
          make an excellent bow and will be a whole lot cheaper than getting a
          stave... unless you have a local source for staves that's really
          cheap.

          As for tips... I'd say don't use power tools unless you're an
          *extremely* experienced woodworker. One mis-pass of a power tool can
          take your prospective bow and turn it into excellent firewood.

          Taillear

          --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "fortunata_trb" <fortunata_trb@y...> wrote:
          > I found some instructions on the internet on how to make your own
          > bow, including the tiller used to train the wood, and I was
          wondering
          > if anyone had made their own bow and would have any tips, or
          > suggestions on what to avoid and what to do, to make a good bow?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Fortunata
        • godwinthearcher
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 31 6:57 AM
            --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "fortunata_trb" <fortunata_trb@y...> wrote:
            > I found some instructions on the internet on how to make your own
            > bow, including the tiller used to train the wood, and I was
            wondering
            > if anyone had made their own bow and would have any tips, or
            > suggestions on what to avoid and what to do, to make a good bow?
            >
            > Thanks
            > Fortunata

            Having just completed a bow building class this last weekend, taught
            by Jay St. Charles, (www.selfbow.com) I would heartily recommend
            taking a class. There is nothing like hands on training and "explaing
            as you go" type atmosphere to get you understanding what to look for.
            I came away with a bow that I built myself, and I am just so geeked
            over. The bow is 72" horn nock to horn nock, hickory backed yew, arrow
            shelf is leather wedge (no cut in shelf), horn inlays for arrow
            sliding past bow, and 60lbs.

            The only tools we used, were draw-knife, scraper, small block plane,
            rasp, file, sandpaper, steelwool, small round file.

            Jay brought out some books, and of course the 3 vol. Bowyers Bible.
            The other books were Billets to Bows (can be had in video form also),
            by his dad Glenn St. Charles, a book about the yew tree, and another
            book on historic archery.

            There was 4 of us in his class. One guy from California, one guy from
            Toronto Can, one guy who lived 5 miles from the shop, and me from
            Idaho.

            I'm still high from it all.....

            Godwin
          • Carolus Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 31 10:53 AM
              Where was this class held, how often are they offered, and what did it
              cost? Thanks.

              In service to the dream
              Carolus von Eulenhorst
              eulenhorst@...

              On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:57:26 -0000 "godwinthearcher" <Godwin@...>
              writes:
              > Having just completed a bow building class this last weekend, taught
              >
              > by Jay St. Charles, (www.selfbow.com) I would heartily recommend
              > taking a class. There is nothing like hands on training and
              > "explaing
              > as you go" type atmosphere to get you understanding what to look
              > for.
              > I came away with a bow that I built myself, and I am just so geeked
              >
              > over. The bow is 72" horn nock to horn nock, hickory backed yew,
              > arrow
              > shelf is leather wedge (no cut in shelf), horn inlays for arrow
              > sliding past bow, and 60lbs.
              >
              > The only tools we used, were draw-knife, scraper, small block plane,
              >
              > rasp, file, sandpaper, steelwool, small round file.
              >
              > Jay brought out some books, and of course the 3 vol. Bowyers Bible.
              >
              > The other books were Billets to Bows (can be had in video form
              > also),
              > by his dad Glenn St. Charles, a book about the yew tree, and another
              >
              > book on historic archery.
              >
              > There was 4 of us in his class. One guy from California, one guy
              > from
              > Toronto Can, one guy who lived 5 miles from the shop, and me from
              > Idaho.
              >
              > I'm still high from it all.....
              >
              > Godwin

              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
            • Angall
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 31 1:35 PM
                My household is making bows...

                Ok Ragi is picking up the pieces, Arthur is planning, and I'm slowly working on our first bows.
                Ragi and I made ours out of sugar maple that unfortunately was twisted 90 degrees, and will/has
                produced very beautiful character bows. Arthur is planning on Ash. (pictures of our beginnings can
                be found on our web site under the archery section.)

                All the books that were listed are excellent reads and great reference material, but I wish I could
                attend a class similar to what was described.

                >>------->
                In service
                Lord Angall O Fearghail - OSag
                House of the Broken Axe
                www.brokenaxe.ca

              • Guy Taylor
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 31 1:47 PM
                  Fall City, WA

                  Schedules, prices, and details:
                  http://www.selfbow.com/bowclass/bowcrft.html

                  Taillear

                • godwinthearcher
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 31 2:09 PM
                    --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Guy Taylor" <greytaylor@a...> wrote:
                    > Fall City, WA
                    >
                    > Schedules, prices, and details:
                    > http://www.selfbow.com/bowclass/bowcrft.html
                    >
                    > Taillear
                    -snip-

                    > > Where was this class held, how often are they offered, and what
                    did it
                    > > cost? Thanks.
                    > >
                    > > In service to the dream
                    > > Carolus von Eulenhorst
                    > > eulenhorst@j...

                    Fall City is about 25-30 miles or so east of Seattle. On the web site
                    is listed a motel in Fall City, but I stayed at the motel 6 in
                    Issaquah, which is about 15 minutes west,southwest of Fall City.
                    It was a two day class. We worked on our bows from about 9am to 8pm
                    the first day, and from 8am to about 9:30pm the second day. The
                    lateness for me, was because 2 of the other guys needed to get out of
                    there for flights or just getting back home, so I let them take first
                    shots at getting their bows finished. Otherwise it would probably be
                    about 10 hours for both days.

                    It was a great class, and I would recommend it to anyone.

                    I took pictures during the shaping of my bow, but it's not easy to see
                    the details, because of being in the barn, and my digital camera's
                    flash leaves a lot to be desired.

                    Godwin
                  • godwinthearcher
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 31 2:10 PM
                      --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Guy Taylor" <greytaylor@a...> wrote:
                      > Fall City, WA
                      >
                      > Schedules, prices, and details:
                      > http://www.selfbow.com/bowclass/bowcrft.html
                      >
                      > Taillear
                      -snip-

                      > > Where was this class held, how often are they offered, and what
                      did it
                      > > cost? Thanks.
                      > >
                      > > In service to the dream
                      > > Carolus von Eulenhorst
                      > > eulenhorst@j...

                      Fall City is about 25-30 miles or so east of Seattle. On the web site
                      is listed a motel in Fall City, but I stayed at the motel 6 in
                      Issaquah, which is about 15 minutes west,southwest of Fall City.
                      It was a two day class. We worked on our bows from about 9am to 8pm
                      the first day, and from 8am to about 9:30pm the second day. The
                      lateness for me, was because 2 of the other guys needed to get out of
                      there for flights or just getting back home, so I let them take first
                      shots at getting their bows finished. Otherwise it would probably be
                      about 10 hours for both days.

                      It was a great class, and I would recommend it to anyone.

                      I took pictures during the shaping of my bow, but it's not easy to see
                      the details, because of being in the barn, and my digital camera's
                      flash leaves a lot to be desired.

                      Godwin
                    • Keith
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 31 10:30 PM
                        Sometime this fall, i plan on having another bow making class. I'm in
                        chicago, IL. I keep the class size to about 10 people, so let me know.
                        dragonone@...
                        THL Neko Me
                        > Where was this class held, how often are they offered, and what did it
                        > cost? Thanks.
                        >
                        > In service to the dream
                        > Carolus von Eulenhorst
                        > eulenhorst@...
                        >

                        > On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:57:26 -0000 "godwinthearcher" <Godwin@...>
                        > writes:
                        > > Having just completed a bow building class this last weekend, taught
                        > >
                        > > by Jay St. Charles, (www.selfbow.com) I would heartily recommend
                        > > taking a class. There is nothing like hands on training and
                        > > "explaing
                        > > as you go" type atmosphere to get you understanding what to look
                        > > for.
                        > > I came away with a bow that I built myself, and I am just so geeked
                        > >
                        > > over. The bow is 72" horn nock to horn nock, hickory backed yew,
                        > > arrow
                        > > shelf is leather wedge (no cut in shelf), horn inlays for arrow
                        > > sliding past bow, and 60lbs.
                        > >
                        > > The only tools we used, were draw-knife, scraper, small block plane,
                        > >
                        > > rasp, file, sandpaper, steelwool, small round file.
                        > >
                        > > Jay brought out some books, and of course the 3 vol. Bowyers Bible.
                        > >
                        > > The other books were Billets to Bows (can be had in video form
                        > > also),
                        > > by his dad Glenn St. Charles, a book about the yew tree, and another
                        > >
                        > > book on historic archery.
                        > >
                        > > There was 4 of us in his class. One guy from California, one guy
                        > > from
                        > > Toronto Can, one guy who lived 5 miles from the shop, and me from
                        > > Idaho.
                        > >
                        > > I'm still high from it all.....
                        > >
                        > > Godwin

                        > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                        > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

                      • jameswolfden
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 1, 2002
                          I have made four bows using resources from the web and other
                          sources I had. All were board bows. They all turned out a little
                          different and I learned something from each one.

                          Although it can be learned on your own, I do recommend taking a
                          class if you can. If I can find the time and money, I would love to
                          take a longbow making course from an experienced bowyer like
                          Jay St. Charles.

                          I would recommend that you head over to
                          www.primitivearcher.com and join the community boards on that
                          site. There is one dedicated to first time bows and there are lots
                          of seasoned bowyers to answer most questions.

                          First bow I made was too light -- only about 20 pounds. Lesson
                          learned - don't rush, you will take off too much wood. Solution -
                          I've piked the bow down and re-tillered it as a youth bow for my
                          daughter.

                          Second bow - shot great but started to get a crack. For a board
                          bow, you need to pick you board carefully. I am looking at cutting
                          the bow down and seeing if I can turn it into a crossbow prod.

                          Third bow - shoots great. Applied some of the mistakes I learned
                          and I am now shooting this bow as my regular bow.

                          Fourth bow - just finished it for my wife. Appears to shoot fine but
                          still in early testing. Pumped about a 100 arrows through. She
                          scored a 40 in RR the first day she used it.

                          James Wolfden
                        • Dennis Cooley
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 2, 2002
                            Another class to try is
                            http:\\ww.mystiklongbows.com
                            For a couple of cards they will have you on your way to 1 or how ever many
                            you wish to make. Not bad prices on supplies either. Took two of their
                            classes listed and not listed.
                            John-Paul Bowyer