Re: [SCA-Archery] Why six arrows?

  • Chad and Erin Wilson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
      From: "Jack Bradley" <ragnar@...>
      > I always thought it was one arrow for each toe on your foot

      I thought that at first, Ragnar, but then I realized that I have never met a
      6-toed archer.

      -Caedmon
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
        Now
        > let me make it known that I just couldn't hide from their Majesties
        > any longer, so now I have to get used to this "Lord" thing. But it
        > seems kind of highfalutin for a old forest outlaw...
        >
        > In service...
        > -Allan Bluehood-

        Two Score and Five is a long time to wait for a pardon, even for a forest
        outlaw. Congratulations.

        James Cunningham
      • abluehood
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
          Please, by all means contradict me when I get my facts wrong. I
          enjoy being able to expand my knowledge base. My opinion, however,
          is something different. It just seems to me that a sheaf of 24 would
          still indicate counting by the dozen, in this case two dozen. And
          also remember that I said it was traditional. In medieval England
          tradition did not have the weight of law.

          I'd like to point out that practice arrows and issue grade war
          arrows were likely very different. Practice arrows often had a point
          more like a target point rather than the broadhead (for hunting) or
          bodkin war points. IIRC (okay, correct me if I'm wrong again) it was
          spelled out in law that anyone living in the King's forests were to
          have blunt arrows for practice, so they couldn't hunt the King's deer.
          Thus have I seen...
          -Allan Bluehood-

          --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Mike O'Toole <mike.otoole@s...> wrote:

          > I don't mean to contradict you but the partial equipment list I
          have for
          > the Mary Rose (from Margaret Rule's The Mary Rose) list arrows as
          in
          > sheaves (I count 24 per sheaf from the holes in the leather spacers
          used
          > to protect the feathers)
          >
          > As well from the English statutes on archery practice I believe
          only
          > require every freeman (or yeoman) to own 2 or three arrows with
          which to
          > practice.
          >

          > of course it being about 2 minutes to five in the morning may have
          > fogged my brain a little! :-)
          >
          > Michael O'Byrne
          >

          > --
          > mike.otoole@s...
          > ---
          > "An archer does not aim, he kills."
          > Bernard Cornwell, Harlequin
        • conradvonzollern
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
            --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@f...> wrote:

            "Two Score and Five is a long time to wait for a pardon, even for a
            forest outlaw. Congratulations.

            James Cunningham"

            James,

            Two score and five is a bit longer than 25 years... Which is plenty
            long enough to wait for anything, including true love.

            Think about it... or have Ragnar count appendages... 6 toes times how
            many feet?

            ;0)

            Conrad von Zollern
          • Jack Bradley
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
              Hummm Two Score and Five
              One Two Three More Much more aaaaa 6 no problem

              conradvonzollern wrote:

              > --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@f...> wrote:
              >
              > "Two Score and Five is a long time to wait for a pardon, even for a
              > forest outlaw. Congratulations.
              >
              > James Cunningham"

              > James,
              >
              > Two score and five is a bit longer than 25 years... Which is plenty
              > long enough to wait for anything, including true love.
              >
              > Think about it... or have Ragnar count appendages... 6 toes times how
              > many feet?
              >
              > ;0)
              >
              > Conrad von Zollern

            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
                OK>OK a score and five.."Two Score and five" sounded much more poetic.

                James Cunningham