Re: New to the group

  • abluehood
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2002
      While there is a lot of evidence that war archers in stationary
      positions would stick arrows in the ground for easy access, there
      were times when the flow of battle would require them to move around
      a lot. Some way of eaisly carrying arrows around becomes a
      necessity. Certainly archers of the time carried their arrows into
      battle in a quiver of some sort. A quick perusal of a copy of the
      Bayeux Tapestry shows archers at Hastings with side (or belt)
      quivers, back quivers and freestanding bag-like quivers. The side
      quivers seem to outnumber the other two types combined. In one small
      section of the edging of the tapestry, I counted six belt quivers,
      four freestanding quivers and only one back quiver. I don't know how
      literally anyone wants to interpret this, since there are four other
      archers in the same section that are shown without any arrow supply
      at all, not even stuck in the ground. The one method the tapestry
      doesn't show is arrows held under a belt.
      Thus have I seen...
      -Allan Bluehood-

      --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Evian Blackthorn" <theweb@e...> wrote:

      > Allen Bluehood posted information a while back about a
      > site with 'possible' period pictures of archers. It is:
      > http://www.solartracker.com/archery/historical.html.
      >
      > However, most of the pictures show the archers with the
      > arrows simply stuck under their belt, or stuck in the ground
      > by them There are a couple that show quivers, one that looks
      > like a 'bag' quiver in front of the archer on the ground,
      > and one or two that show what appear to be belt quivers. But
      > detail is very lacking in any of these. Sorry I couldn't
      > help more, but welcome to the group anyway.
      >
      > Evian Blackthorn
    • ronan
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 29 7:09 PM
        Hello

        I thought I would give you guy's an idea who I am. My SCA name
        Is Ronan Mackay and I'm out of Antir. I hope that I can make new
        friends in the archery world

        Ronan
      • loreleiElkins@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 30 6:06 AM
          Welcome to the Line, Ronan.

          There is great archived information on this list and some good files as
          well, if you have some free time to take a look.

          Lady Lorelei
          Atlantia

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 30 9:31 AM
            Well come, Ronan! I, too, abide in An Tir, in Adiantum. I shoot a Welsh flatbow. Where do you live?
            ~Sæthrð

          • Gareth Wood
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 30 3:39 PM
              Welcome to the line! Archer ready? Loose!

              Gareth Stringbreaker

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ronan" <ronanmackee@...> wrote:

              > Hello
              >

              > I thought I would give you guy's an idea who I am. My SCA name
              > Is Ronan Mackay and I'm out of Antir. I hope that I can make new
              > friends in the archery world
              >

              > Ronan

            • ronan mackee
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 30 7:57 PM
                Hello saetho

                I live in the barony of valkinfield ( Yakima WA ) Adiantum I believe that up north of Seattle right? The bow i shoot is just a recurved 30 lbs I'm still kinda new to this Archery thing I've only been shooting for about three year now. I was a heavy for the longest time but a couple of gooses got me hooked on this archery stuff and i been addicted ever since

                Ronan Mackay

                Well come, Ronan! I, too, abide in An Tir, in Adiantum. I shoot a Welsh flatbow. Where do you live?

                ~Sæthrð

                <!--

                #ygrp-mkp{
                #ygrp-mkp hr{
                border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                margin-bottom:10px;}
                #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                padding:0 0;}
                #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                -->

                <!--

                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                font-family:Arial;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                -->

                <!--

                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                #ygrp-text{
                font-family:Georgia;
                }
                #ygrp-text p{
                margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                font-family:Arial;
                clear:both;}
                #ygrp-vitnav{
                #ygrp-vitnav a{
                padding:0 1px;}
                #ygrp-actbar{
                #ygrp-actbar .left{
                float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                #ygrp-grft{
                #ygrp-ft{
                padding:5px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                padding-bottom:10px;}

                #ygrp-vital{
                #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                #ygrp-vital ul{
                padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                #ygrp-vital ul li{
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                font-weight:bold;}
                #ygrp-vital a{
                text-decoration:none;}

                #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;}

                #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                padding:8px 0;}
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                text-decoration:none;}
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;}
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                margin:0;}
                o{font-size:0;}
                .MsoNormal{
                margin:0 0 0 0;}
                #ygrp-text tt{
                font-size:120%;}
                blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                .replbq{margin:4;}
                -->

              • Sebhdann
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Welcome Ronan, from another archer of An Tir! I am new to the SCA, and have
                  been fascinated with archery since I was a kid.

                  Did you attend in Vulcanfeldt's Archery Fest this year? The Shire of
                  Wyewood (south King County, WA) sent a large contingent to compete; I wanted
                  to, but due to mundanity, wasn't able to. I fully intend to participate
                  next year, though.

                  Yrs,

                  Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
                  Shire of Wyewood, An Tir

                  *mka Sue V.*

                  On Nov 29, 2007 7:09 PM, ronan <ronanmackee@...> wrote:

                  > Hello
                  >
                  > I thought I would give you guy's an idea who I am. My SCA name
                  > Is Ronan Mackay and I'm out of Antir. I hope that I can make new
                  > friends in the archery world
                  >
                  > Ronan

                • ronan mackee
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 3, 2007
                    Thanks for the warm welcome my friend

                    Yes I did show up at Archery Feast this year and had a great time in fact I'm running next year event. I hope you get to show up we are planning on lot of new stuff for the archer to do

                    Ronan Mackay

                    On Nov 29, 2007 7:09 PM, ronan <ronanmackee@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                    > Hello
                    >
                    > I thought I would give you guy's an idea who I am. My SCA name
                    > Is Ronan Mackay and I'm out of Antir. I hope that I can make new
                    > friends in the archery world
                    >
                    > Ronan

                    <!-- #ygrp-mkp{ border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:14px 0px;padding:0px 14px;} #ygrp-mkp hr{ border:1px solid #d8d8d8;} #ygrp-mkp #hd{ color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:bold;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0px;} #ygrp-mkp #ads{ margin-bottom:10px;} #ygrp-mkp .ad{ padding:0 0;} #ygrp-mkp .ad a{ color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;} --> <!-- #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{ font-family:Arial;} #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{ margin:10px 0px;font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{ margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;} --> <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;} #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family:Georgia; } #ygrp-text p{ margin:0 0 1em 0;} #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                    font-family:Arial; clear:both;} #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;margin:0;} #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding:0 1px;} #ygrp-actbar{ clear:both;margin:25px 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;} #ygrp-actbar .left{ float:left;white-space:nowrap;} .bld{font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-grft{ font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;padding:15px 0;} #ygrp-ft{ font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px solid #666; padding:5px 0; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{ padding-bottom:10px;} #ygrp-vital{ background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px 0 8px 8px;} #ygrp-vital #vithd{ font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform:uppercase;} #ygrp-vital ul{ padding:0;margin:2px 0;} #ygrp-vital ul li{ list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid #e0ecee; } #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{ font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;padding-right:.5em;} #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{ font-weight:bold;}
                    #ygrp-vital a{ text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-vital a:hover{ text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor #hd{ color:#999;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov{ padding:6px 13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{ padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{ text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;} #ygrp-sponsor #nc{ background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0 8px;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding:8px 0;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{ font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:122%;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{ margin:0;} o{font-size:0;} .MsoNormal{ margin:0 0 0 0;} #ygrp-text tt{ font-size:120%;} blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;} .replbq{margin:4;} -->

                  • Kevin
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 3, 2007
                      I bid welcome to another archer named Ronan. I am in the Kingdom of
                      Meridies so we probably won't run into each other on a regular
                      basis, but you never know. Welcome and good shooting.

                      THL Ronan MacMorton
                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, ronan mackee <ronanmackee@...>

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 3, 2007
                        Thanks I see you are from Meridies kingdom are you planning on going to gulf war next year ? If so It will be a honor to meet on the field.

                        by the name your name rocks

                        Ronan Mackay

                        ____________ ___

                        > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                        <!--

                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 4, 2007
                          I am planning on being at GW in 2008. I am the centurian of archers
                          for the Meridian Army. Look for a big guy with a crossbow and a red
                          baldric over his armor or a longbow wit green and white fletched arrows.

                          Ronan

                          wrote:

                          > Thanks I see you are from Meridies kingdom are you planning on going
                          to gulf war next year ? If so It will be a honor to meet on the field.

                          > by the name your name rocks
                          >

                          > Ronan Mackay

                        • mystsdragon
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 7, 2013
                            Hello

                            New to this group can someone bring me up to speed with the discussion going on?
                          • htgalwm
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 8, 2013
                              Hullo,
                              Well, there are several discussions ongoing lately:
                              1. A poll for what format (type of shoot) people owuld like to see for an upcomming contest (SSAC).

                              2. A discussion about forming a guild devoted to the promotion of period archery.

                              3. A discussion of what 'period' means regarding bows.

                              I'm sure there are others as well, but I think the three I mentioned the most interesting. You can click on any of the messages to read previous related posts.
                              I hope this helps,
                              and welcome to the list.

                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "mystsdragon" <mysstdragon@...> wrote:

                              > Hello
                              >
                              > New to this group can someone bring me up to speed with the discussion going on?

                            • Sammi Cothern
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 8, 2013
                                Thank you they all sound like very good subjects I will read thru them

                                YIS
                                Cealleach Colquhoun C.B.P., C.A.A., C.A.A.C
                                Captain of Sundragon Archery

                                --

                                YIS
                                Cealleach Colquhoun C.B.P., C.A.A., C.A.A.C
                                Captain of Sundragon Archery

                                "If you ignore the dragon, it will eat you.  If you confront the dragon, it will overpower you.  If you ride the dragon, you will take advantage of its might and power."