Lye - OT

  • Brokk
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 1999
      About making lye from wood ashes...
      I guess some woods are better to use than others but I haven't been able to
      find
      any info about this. Is there anyone out there who knows? All I found in
      the Florilegium
      was related to soap making but it contained no info of the wood burnt for
      ashes.

      I plan to use it for degreasing before making hide glue.

      Angus MacIomhair
    • James W. Pratt Jr.
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 1999
        Greetings Angus MacIomhair

        If you are dehairing a fresh hide just use the ashes and water to a wet
        paste consistencey. Slather the hair side 1/4-1/2 inch thick roll it up wait
        24-48 hours scrape the hair off. If you want lye put 3-4 bushels of any
        kind wood ashes in a wooden trouth pore enough rain water in to wet the hole
        mess then a little more to start it dripin' when the dripin's will float a
        raw eye(still in the shell) it is good for soap. I do not think you should
        use any soap in the making of Hide glue (which is not made from hide).

        The Foxfire books are good reference. Must go to the Viking ship.

        James Cunningham

        >About making lye from wood ashes...
        >I guess some woods are better to use than others but I haven't been able to
        >find
        >any info about this. Is there anyone out there who knows? All I found in
        >the Florilegium
        >was related to soap making but it contained no info of the wood burnt for
        >ashes.
        >
        >I plan to use it for degreasing before making hide glue.
        >
        >Angus MacIomhair
        >
        >>This list sponsored by House Wyvern Hall

      • JimHart ConalO'hAirt
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 29, 1999
          even though it's close to Halloween
          I bet he meant EGG....

          ....uh, I hope he meant egg....

          ' when the dripin's will float a
          >raw eye(still in the shell) it is good for soap.
        • D Humberson
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 29, 1999
            Angus,

            Not a period source, but check out the Foxfire books - one of them details
            the process very well. A point the article doesn't mention strongly
            enough, IMHO, is that even the ash water can be dangerous. Especially, do
            not use aluminum vessels to prepare lye.

            Ragnar Ketilsson

            >From: Brokk <H940114@...>
            >To: 'SCA Archery' <SCA-Archery@onelist.com>
            >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Lye - OT
            >Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 17:10:11 +0200
            >
            >About making lye from wood ashes...
            >I guess some woods are better to use than others but I haven't been able to
            >find
            >any info about this. Is there anyone out there who knows? All I found in
            >the Florilegium
            >was related to soap making but it contained no info of the wood burnt for
            >ashes.
            >
            >I plan to use it for degreasing before making hide glue.
            >
            >Angus MacIomhair

            ><< text3.html >>
          • Robert L Brunnemer
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 29, 1999
              Hallo!!!

              I believe that the foxfire book in question would be #3. But you should
              really check them all out, as even though they are WOOP (WAY Out Of
              Period) they are very helpful in many things.

              Have a nice day!!!
              Robert
              Hugewheels@...
              Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!