Re: [Re: Crossbow Bolts - Shaving the ends]

  • Keith Hood
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 1999

      > Given that those of us who don't shoot war-weight prods usually fletch our
      > bolts, I suspect the drag component from a flat tail bolt vanishes into
      > measurement noise. I leave to those with better chemistry sets and more
      > time the creation of the world's first base-bleed crossbow bolt: I'm too
      > busy working on my new discarding-sabot flechette bundle bolt for speed
      > rounds.

      I can't stand it anymore.

      How about tracers?

      Or, considering the distances we shoot at, and the sizes and weights of the
      projectiles we usually handle, a base-bleed system would be a waste. It's too
      passive. What you need for that extra umph is an active booster. Clamp a
      standard metal nock point on the center of the crossbow string for a striker,
      and have two rolling nuts just far enough apart so they clear each other. The
      rear rolling nut actually holds the string, the forward rolling nut rolls
      freely and really just serves to position the rear of the bolt. Extend the
      rear of the bolt with a metal tube containing solid fuel, and swage a standard
      rifle cartridge primer into the end of that. The results when you unleash the
      string should be quite instructive.

      And I like the idea about the bolts with the HEAT warheads. They'd be perfect
      for that guy in the Porsche who clears your bumper by 2 inches when he
      fishtails across 3 lanes of rush hour so he can make his exit.

      Hey, you guys started this; don't look so horrified. :-)

      Tomonaga

      ------

      A long bow and a stong bow,
      And let the sky grow dark.
      The nock to the cord, the shaft to the ear,
      And a foreign king for a mark!

      -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
      By Robert E. Howard, who should be
      the patron saint of Ansteorra

      Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com