Re: Difference between A&S and Archery

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 1999
      In the West there are the Royal Company of Archers, a grant for target
      archery. And the Royal Company of Yeomen, a grant for missile combat. In
      both it is expected that the members not only shoot very well, but that
      they also have aided their kingdom by service and that they set an
      example for others by their gear, knowledge, etc. They are not required
      to use only period type gear, but anyone that did would be more highly
      considered.

      Jon
    • K9exlupmax@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 1999
        1
        > >(big snip)
        > >My question - is it reasonable to say that there should be
        > >some part of the recognition of the marksman that revolves around a
        working
        > >knowlege of period gear in general? And is it reasonable that some part
        of
        2
        > >the
        > >recognition of the craftsman of archer gear should come from at least a
        > >moderate level of skill with period gear?
        > >
        > >A new can of worms
        > >
        > >Kaz
        Yes to 1 and 2 is the can of worms... i.e. you use the words craftsman and
        skill in the same sentence. I think there are awards (recognition) for
        craftsmanship (being new I can't really say for sure) , however to me the
        word skill in the context of your wording means for the use of weapons. Here
        is where I am thinking there is not enough recognition (awards etc.) for the
        pure period Archer. Having only used a modern fiberglass recurve in the past
        I cant really comment on using a period ELB, although I want one. I think
        once people realize that there is some difference between a period Looking
        archer with a recurve, and a period archer, the recognition of the latter
        will improve by some measure.

        Just my .02$
        Ross Mac Kenzie