Winter Challenge

  • Obsidian
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 17, 1999
      Greetings
      This is a public service announcement, which will repeat every month or
      so.
      The Winter Challenge season is fast approaching; I have once again set
      up the web site, and will begin accepting scores from all and sundry as
      of midnight, Oct. 31/Nov. 1.
      For any not familiar with the Winter Challenge, it is an interkingdom
      postal shoot sponsored by Gwyntarian, in the Midrealm. It has been an
      ongoing event for a number of years now, and has been steadily gaining
      popularity.
      Very briefly, it consists of 2 static ends, two 30 second timed ends,
      two bulls-eye ends, and two wand-shoot ends, all at 20 yards. Precise
      details may be found at:

      http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/wint.html

      If you don't have access to a browser, alert me, and I will send you
      a copy of the rules in an alternate manner. Scores are to be sent to me
      via snailmail or Email, and will be posted on the site, at:

      http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scores.html

      Last year, we had 288 participants; top score went to Daffyd ap Sion of
      Ealdormere, with a highest total of 258 points, a truly awesome score.
      Hope to hear from you once again, and best of luck to you all.

      In Service:
      Forester Nigel FitzMaurice, Winter Challenge scorekeeper
      --

      Ex Tenebra, Lux

    • Obsidian
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 11, 1999
        Mat Kerbouchard wrote:

        > From: Mat Kerbouchard <trj@...>
        >
        > I assume this to be a royal round type event? RR are difficult for us to do often. there is almost
        > no shooting on the island of Montreal and what there is is a 20 yard range indoors. not much help
        > there and I have not had much luck finding other close shooting room.
        >
        > On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 21:25:11 -0500, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:
        >
        > >From: Obsidian <obsidian@...>
        > >
        > >Mat Kerbouchard wrote:
        > >>
        > >> From: Mat Kerbouchard <trj@...>
        > >>
        > >> Greetings sir.
        > >> Where would this Winter shoot be held? I have not heard of it and if it is reasonably close
        > >> we may some of us come.
        > >>
        > >> Unforkunately we are in the far north and it is quite a drive to get almost anywhere. (we
        > >> are 2 hours drive north of coldwood).

        Greetings
        No, the Winter Challenge is designed specifically for 20 yard indoor
        ranges. Many of our more southerly brethern (and sistern, too) choose to
        shoot it out of doors, but the Challenge originated in northern Ohio,
        where shooting outdoors in January is likely to be, um, somewhat
        uncomfortable.
        The actual shoot itself resembles a RR only very superficially (we have
        2 static rounds and 2 speed rounds at standard targets (40 cm.), but
        there are also wand targets and bullseye targets).
        Full particulars can be gotten from the website at
        http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/wint.html . Or, if you (or anyone else
        reading this) prefer, I will Email the rules directly.
        --

        Ex Tenebra, Lux

      • Susan Kell
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 11, 1999
          Greetings!
          I thought the original Winter Challenge was created by the archers of what
          is now AEthelmearc... Did they swipe this good idea from you Midrealm
          sponsors? I'm thinking 6 to 8 years ago.
          -- Ygraine

          On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Obsidian wrote:

          > From: Obsidian <obsidian@...>
          >
          > Mat Kerbouchard wrote:
          > >
          > > From: Mat Kerbouchard <trj@...>
          > >
          > > I assume this to be a royal round type event? RR are difficult for us to do often. there is almost
          > > no shooting on the island of Montreal and what there is is a 20 yard range indoors. not much help
          > > there and I have not had much luck finding other close shooting room.
          > >
          > > On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 21:25:11 -0500, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:
          > >
          > > >From: Obsidian <obsidian@...>

          > Greetings
          > No, the Winter Challenge is designed specifically for 20 yard indoor
          > ranges. Many of our more southerly brethern (and sistern, too) choose to
          > shoot it out of doors, but the Challenge originated in northern Ohio,
          > where shooting outdoors in January is likely to be, um, somewhat
          > uncomfortable.
          > The actual shoot itself resembles a RR only very superficially (we have
          > 2 static rounds and 2 speed rounds at standard targets (40 cm.), but
          > there are also wand targets and bullseye targets).
          > Full particulars can be gotten from the website at
          > http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/wint.html . Or, if you (or anyone else
          > reading this) prefer, I will Email the rules directly.
          > --
          >
          > Ex Tenebra, Lux
          >
          > http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/index.html

        • Obsidian
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 12, 1999
            Susan Kell wrote:

            > From: Susan Kell <skell@...>
            >
            > Greetings!
            > I thought the original Winter Challenge was created by the archers of what
            > is now AEthelmearc... Did they swipe this good idea from you Midrealm
            > sponsors? I'm thinking 6 to 8 years ago.
            > -- Ygraine

            Greetings
            I wasn't sure about this, so I did some checking. It appears that when
            Gwylym was Archery Commander, at the time that AEthelmearc first gained
            Principality status, that 3 groups (Debateable Lands, Rhydderich Hael,
            and Blackstone Mountain) all discussed the idea of sponsoring a round
            robin style winter shoot thing. Apparently, the three groups agreed that
            it would be a good idea, but details never got hashed out, and the whole
            thing never got off the ground. At roughly the same time, or perhaps
            somewhat after, my local group (Gwyntarian) had basically the same idea,
            and did organize it. Our notion was to provide a venue for that time of
            the year when the targets were hidden in the snowdrifts, and ones only
            option was indoor 20 yd. ranges (which strikes modern participants from
            California and Georgia as fairly humourous). We were certainly the first
            to put it up on the internet, we've been doing that for at least 5 years
            now. There may have been some cross-fertilization (Gwylym is an old and
            valued friend of many senior Gwyntarian archers, and is an honorary
            memnber of our Guild); but my impression is that the ideas were
            independent of each other, with AE. getting there first, but Gwyntarian
            actually setting it up.

            Cordially;
            Forester Nigel FitzMaurice; Oaken Regional & Winter Challenge Coord.
            --

            Ex Tenebra, Lux

          • Bruce R. Gordon
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002
              Greetings
              Folks, this is just a reminder that the Winter Challenge, an annual
              postal shoot sponsored by the Marche of Gwyntarian, in the Middle
              Kingdom, is still running strong and looking for more participants. It
              is a simple yet subtle group of rounds designed to enhance your skill
              and keep you active over the winter months (yah, yah, quiet down over
              there in the Ansteorra and Caid sections...).

              The RULES...

              All archers of the Known World are invited to participate in a winter
              archery competition from November 1, 2001 through April 30, 2002. The
              shoot is the same as previous years using the basic commercial target of
              any 5 ring 40 cm (16 inches) face. All rounds are shot at 20 yards. Each
              round will consist of two (2) ends. Equipment standards are as per SCA
              legal for your kingdom. There is no traditional equipment bonus or
              requirement. Participating archers should include with the scores sent,
              this info: SCA name, MKA, their SCA group, (and Kingdom, if outside the
              Midrealm), the type of bow (crossbow, longbow, recurve or other), the
              bow's draw weight, and whether or not any sight marks on limbs or
              crossbow rear sights were used. PLEASE NOTE THAT LAST COMMENT! Last year
              many entries were not listed as being sighted or non-sighted. The
              scoring breakdown this year is going to take into account whether a
              weapon used sights or not: IF NO INFORMATION IS GIVEN, I WILL ASSUME
              THE WEAPON IN QUESTION HAD SIGHTS!

              The marshal in charge is Bruce R. Gordon (Forester Nigel FitzMaurice),
              866 Beardsley, Apt. 1, Akron, Ohio 44311; and if you like...a copy to
              obsidian@... for quick posting on the results page.

              The Shoot:

              As it was last year, the shoot is eight ends at 20 yards, and may take
              place at any event, practice, or get-together where a warranted SCA
              archery marshal (or your Kingdom's equivalent) is present to score it.

              Target Round - intended to help maintain accuracy over the winter
              months. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows each untimed at a 40 cm (16
              inch) 5 ring target with standard 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 scoring.

              Speed Round - intended to help archers practice speed shooting with
              accuracy. It consists of 2 ends of unlimited arrows shot in a 30 second
              time limit for each end. Each archer must shoot at least one arrow each
              end but may shoot as many as possible in 30 seconds. Scoring of the 40
              cm 5 ring target is 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Archers who do not manage to shoot
              off 6 arrows in 30 seconds will gain bonus points for arrows unshot. To
              determine the number of bonus points, subtract the number of arrows shot
              from 6 for each end and add that number to the actual score of the
              arrows that hit the target. IE: you shoot 4 arrows, you get 2 bonus
              points. If the archer has not managed to hit the target at least once in
              the entire round of two ends, then no bonus points are added. When
              scoring, please show real score + bonus points, IE: 12+2

              Wand Round - intended to help the archer concentrate on minimizing
              left/right movement. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows untimed. Each end
              is shot at a target wand 3 feet long by 6 inches wide, consisting of a
              central strip of one color flanked on either side by strips of a
              differing tint (hint:a standard strip of duct tape is 2 inches wide);
              each band equal in width (2 inches). Each arrow within or touching the
              central strip scores five points. Each arrow outside the central area
              but within or touching either of the two outer bands scores three points.

              Bull's Eye Round - intended to help the archer focus on the center of a
              target. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows each untimed. Each end is shot
              at a target consisting of a 4 inch circular bull's eye centered within a
              8 1/2 inch outer circle,(standard piece of paper). All arrows within or
              touching the inner circle score five points each. All arrows outside the
              center bull's eye but within or touching the outer circle score three
              points each.

              It is strongly suggested that a target that will prevent pass-throughs
              and bounce-offs should be used. However, should these occur, witnessed
              pass-throughs and bounce-offs that cannot be determined as to score are
              traditionally scored as 3 points, in the target and speed rounds.

              The results may be viewed online at
              http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scores.html
              but I can mail 'em direct if asked to.

              Hope to hear from you...

              Nigel
              --
              Ex Tenebra, Lux

            • James Pratt
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002
                Greetings Nigel

                Congrats! See you at Better War

                James Cunningham
              • ragnarketilsson
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 28, 2002
                  Nigel,

                  One quick warning - most if not quite all the duct tape I found for
                  sale at Sears in Pittsburgh, PA was actually about 1.8" wide! I
                  caught this when a new target was perceptably offcenter on precut
                  backing - the difference makes the overall target more than a half
                  inch, or about 10%, narrower.

                  Warm regards,
                  Ragnar Ketilsson

                  --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Bruce R. Gordon" <obsidian@r...> wrote:
                  >(big snip)
                  > of one color flanked on either side by strips of a
                  > differing tint (hint:a standard strip of duct tape is 2 inches
                  wide);
                  > (another big snip)
                • hanhebin
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 28, 2002
                    > One quick warning - most if not quite all the duct tape I found for
                    > sale at Sears in Pittsburgh, PA was actually about 1.8" wide! I
                    > caught this when a new target was perceptably offcenter on precut
                    > backing - the difference makes the overall target more than a half
                    > inch, or about 10%, narrower.

                    I wrote a quick easy program that prints out that particular target.
                    It takes lots of ink as for visibility sake as I printed two 2" wands
                    on yellow paper so the center wand stands out. Using a paper cutter
                    and some tape I can make several targets in about 5 minutes. If
                    anybody wants a copy of the program I'm more than willing to share.

                    Michael
                  • Bruce R. Gordon
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 12, 2003
                      MIDREALM WINTER ARCHERY SHOOT

                      Yes folks, it's that time again... The Midrealm Archer-General is
                      once more sponsoring the Winter Challenge. Midrealm shooters may regard
                      this competition as one method by which I will be evaluating potential
                      members of the Champions team. That's a hint... For archers outside the
                      Midrealm (shrug), it's the same shoot as last year, and what office I
                      hold is of no significance to you. Hopefully, you will get the same
                      enjoyment out of the Challenge as you have in the past. As always,
                      comments and suggestions are welcome anytime.
                      A note concerning use of the Challenge for competitions: last year
                      a competition was held in a kingdom not the Midrealm, which used the
                      Challenge in an official capacity. I strongly encourage this, and hope
                      to see more of it, but I need to clarify some matters. I was approached
                      by an official of that kingdom and asked not to enter any more scores
                      from that area after a certain date. I cannot do that as such, since
                      the basic postal shoot is open to all, at any time, for sheer
                      enjoyment. Nevertheless, as I am sympathetic to the idea of the shoot
                      as an official competition, here's what I would like to do... Any
                      Kingdom that wishes to use the Winter Challenge as a prize- or award-
                      bearing competition during a limited timeframe, should tell me what
                      they are doing. I will then make an additional table in the Scores page
                      for that competition specifically, and time-stamp entries. Any entries
                      from such a Kingdom that fall outside the timeframe, or are
                      specifically noted as not wishing to participate in the contest, will
                      appear in their normal tables. Entries for such a contest will also
                      appear in the first table - Overall Results. Hopefully, that will take
                      care of any issues in this regard. And so, on to the rules...

                      All archers of the Known World are invited to participate in a
                      winter archery competition from November 1, 2003 through April 15,
                      2004. The shoot is the same as previous years using the basic
[...]

                      Note! New Address!

                      Bruce R. Gordon (Forester Nigel FitzMaurice)
                      511 East Exchange St., Apt. 3, Akron, Ohio 44304-1866

                      Note! New Address!

                      ...and if you like, a copy to obsidian@... quick posting on the
[...]

                      Please tell us how you like the shoot, if there are changes you
                      could suggest or if you have ical and/or reasonable alternatives. The
                      latter two rounds are period in type of shoot although not in
                      materials. All scores due by May 15, 2004.

                      --
                      Ex Tenebra, Lux

                    • banzhof
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 30, 2003
                        Nigel,

                        I want to keep you informed on something we will be doing in the Oaken
                        region. The Fenix area has been lacking marshals for some time-Vicount Sir
                        Myles is the only marshal they have. Myles wants to develope more marshals
                        in the area and came up with a plan for a series of classes/archery
                        practices for training MIT's. Being a knight/former kingdom Earl Marshal,
                        he talked directly with Duke Palymar about this; Palymar gave permission to
                        run the sessions with the requirement that I pre-aprove the class content
                        and that I be an active participant in the instruction. I am willing to do
                        this; Myles will post the classes in the Fenix newsletter-he expects to get
                        3 to 5 MIT's.
                        Are there specific elements that you want in the classes? I will round up
                        other marshals so that the signatures will come from more than just Myles,
                        Dorinda, and me-James, Ernie, Caedmon, and Erin should all be available. If
                        this works out, it may be a tool to increase marshals in other areas where
                        we are lacking. If I had known about this before the fact, I would have
                        made sure it went by the proper chain of command; as it is, I will make sure
                        that the MIT's earn their signatures and that all the bases are covered.

                        Alan
                      • obsidian@raex.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 31, 2010
                          Greetings one and all

                          This is to announce the 18th Gwyntarian Winter Challenge archery competition, to begin tomorrow, Nov 1st, as usual.

                          As always, the rules are posted at:

                          http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/wint.html

                          And a record of submitted scores will be found at:

                          http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scor1011.html

                          My apologies for posting all of this so late, but I have had personal and health issues that have been very distracting over the past month or two - hopefully, things will proceed smoothly at this point.

                          Cordially;
                          Baron Nigel FitzMaurice, Winter Challenge guy
                          --
                          "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula administrationis est."
                          -
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 31, 2010
                            I look forward to myself and all of our archers participating this year

                            MKA Craig Holder
                            SCA Balinor
                            Bordergate
                            Avacal
                            An Tir

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 31, 2010
                              Thanks!!

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
                                Greetings one and all.

                                It's that time of year again - the Winter Challenge site is once more up and running, and the competition will begin tomorrow. Read the rules at:

                                http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/wint.html

                                and see the results accumulate at:

                                http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scor1112.html

                                Last year we had an even 300 participants, and I'd like to see that increased this season if possible.

                                Hope to hear from you all soon -
                                Baron Nigel FitzMaurice, Winter Challenge guy

                                --
                                "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula administrationis est."
                                -
                              • Sabrina McCoy
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
                                  Our Barony of Dragon's Mist here in An Tir will be participating in the Winter Challenge this year, and we are looking forward to it greatly!

                                  However, I did have one question - It seems as if this competition would be perfect to have scorekeeping records maintained by the www.Scores-SCA.org
                                  folks;  Has there ever been a suggestion of this before?

                                  -Angharat Wyth of Dragon's Mist