Re: [sca-archery]: 'Bic Lighter Society' - long

  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 1999
      (major snippage)
      > I live in Aethelmearc, which also saw a new Ludicrous Bowman this year,
      > Master-at-Arms Cormac Dubh. Both he and Connor Bowsplitter shoot modern
      > recurves, but they are shooting handbows, not crossbows.

      (Brad pokes his head above the tall grass growing around here)

      UMMMM.... A possible correction here. Master Cormac, I believe, achieved
      his LB ranking shooting a 96# American Flat Bow and I understand from
      him that this is a first in the Society. Period equipment? Period
      poundage? Should we expect the archer (in the spirit of recreating in
      the most exacting manner possible) to use period weight??? The skeletal
      remains unearthed in archaeology digs over there show definite skeletal
      deformities due to the incredible poundage achieved through beginning
      archery at six years old and working up to the age of entry into the
      king's levies. How far are we going to take this?? (Cormac would do it
      just to prove that he could)

      > With respect,
      > Ragnar Ketilsson,
      > BMDL, Aethelmearc

      Ragnar!!! What up bro???

      Brad
    • John Edgerton
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 1999
        On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Brad Boda d'Aylward wrote:

        > From: "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...>
        >
        > (major snippage)
        > > I live in Aethelmearc, which also saw a new Ludicrous Bowman this year,
        > > Master-at-Arms Cormac Dubh. Both he and Connor Bowsplitter shoot modern
        > > recurves, but they are shooting handbows, not crossbows.
        >
        > (Brad pokes his head above the tall grass growing around here)
        >
        > UMMMM.... A possible correction here. Master Cormac, I believe, achieved
        > his LB ranking shooting a 96# American Flat Bow and I understand from
        > him that this is a first in the Society. Period equipment? Period
        > poundage? Should we expect the archer (in the spirit of recreating in
        > the most exacting manner possible) to use period weight??? The skeletal
        > remains unearthed in archaeology digs over there show definite skeletal
        > deformities due to the incredible poundage achieved through beginning
        > archery at six years old and working up to the age of entry into the
        > king's levies. How far are we going to take this?? (Cormac would do it
        > just to prove that he could)

        There were period war bows and then there were period hunting and target
        bows. The ladies also sometimes hunted with the bow. And target shooting
        was a common pastime of the the nobles as well as the commoners. There
        are some samples of the heavy war bows(see Mary Rose), but I have read of
        no samples of target bows. I would believe that they were of much less
        poundage than that of the war bows. So....... there would be no need to
        put a requirement of heavy poundage on a bow to have it qualify as a
        period bow.

        Jon

        > > With respect,
        > > Ragnar Ketilsson,
        > > BMDL, Aethelmearc
        > >
        > Ragnar!!! What up bro???
        >
        > Brad

        > Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
        > For details on ONElist�s NEW FRIENDS & FAMILY program, go to
        > http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

      • D Humberson
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 1999
          >From: "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...>
          >To: sca-archery@...
          >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: [sca-archery]: 'Bic Lighter Society' - long
          >Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 17:46:31 -0400
          >
          >From: "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...>
          >
          >(major snippage)
          > > I live in Aethelmearc, which also saw a new Ludicrous Bowman this year,
          > > Master-at-Arms Cormac Dubh. Both he and Connor Bowsplitter shoot modern
          > > recurves, but they are shooting handbows, not crossbows.
          >
          >(Brad pokes his head above the tall grass growing around here)
          >
          >UMMMM.... A possible correction here. Master Cormac, I believe, achieved
          >his LB ranking shooting a 96# American Flat Bow and I understand from
          >him that this is a first in the Society. Period equipment? Period
          >poundage? Should we expect the archer (in the spirit of recreating in
          >the most exacting manner possible) to use period weight??? The skeletal
          >remains unearthed in archaeology digs over there show definite skeletal
          >deformities due to the incredible poundage achieved through beginning
          >archery at six years old and working up to the age of entry into the
          >king's levies. How far are we going to take this?? (Cormac would do it
          >just to prove that he could)
          > >
          > > With respect,
          > > Ragnar Ketilsson,
          > > BMDL, Aethelmearc
          > >
          >Ragnar!!! What up bro???
          >
          >Brad

          Hey, Brad! Find me at the range, we'll go hoist a couple and get up to
          date: there have been a few changes here and there since Memorial Day.

          As regards Cormac's using a flatbow to break 120, I should have known. If
          anyone in the Society was going to do it, it would be him.

          My assumption that anyone shooting that well had to be using modern tack was
          just that, an assumption, where Master Cormac was concerned: my apology to
          him and my thanks to Brad for the correction.

          Ragnar Ketilsson