Re: [SCA-Archery] Uprising Shoots - scores

  • Elizabeth Lear
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 10, 2002
      Please post the plans! :) I think enough of us would like to see them,
      and I have a Baronial Championship to run in a month.

      -Yelizaveta
    • godwinthearcher
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 10, 2002
        So here goes the description. I'll post a picture of the thing as soon
        as possible, because
        a picture is worth a thousand words.

        This is a timed shoot, 30 seconds. The timing starts when the archer
        looses the first arrow, that way, if there is a little wind spinning
        the wheel prematurely, it makes it as fair as possible. The shoot
        starts at 20 yards. In case of a tie, you move the shooting line back
        5 yards at a whack, until there is a winner. One point per arrow, and
        the arrow has to enter the face of the target to count. No through the
        side shots, and the "fair target face" is the target face presenting
        itself on the right side of the wheel.

        Read clear through the following, and if there are any questions,
        please don't hesitate to ask!!

        Materials for quintain:

        4x4 1ea 4'
        2x4 2ea 4'
        rope 1/4-3/8 25'
        bolts 2ea 3/8 x 4.25
        nuts 2ea 3/8
        metal strap 1.25 x .125 x 12"
        bicycle wheel front- 24"-26"
        tennis racket 3ea
        foam 1 sheet -or 4'x4' ethafoam or pink insulating foam
        from Home depot 2" thick.
        duct tape 1 roll
        strapping tape 1 roll
        nails/stakes 4ea
        rebar 1/2 x 8"

        Thats pretty much the material list.

        1. Take the two 2x4s, and notch the middle piece of each, so that they
        fit together and form an X, the thickness of one 2x4, when placed on
        the ground. (lincoln log style)

        2. Drill a 1/2 to 5/8 hole in the center of notches, so that a piece
        of rebar can be placed into the hole, when the X is laying on the
        ground.

        3. Drill angled holes (~45deg) at the ends of the 2/4, to allow the
        big nails, or tent stakes or what have you, to be inserted at an
        angle.

        4. Drill a 3/8 or so hole, in one end of the 4x4, to accept an 8"
        piece of rebar. This rebar should stick out the bottom of the 4x4
        about 3 inches or so. Insert the rebar into the drilled hole. This
        will be the bottom end.

        5. Drill one hole about 8 inches from the top end, 1/2" diameter,
        through the 4x4. (top rope hole)
        Turn the 4x4 90 degrees and drill another hole, about 1 inch below the
        above hole. (bottom rope hole)

        6. Drill one hole about 1 1/2 inches from the top end, 1/2" diameter,
        through the 4x4. Just under, and in parallel, drill another 1 1/2
        inches below that.

        You should now have 4 holes drilled through the 4x4 up by the top end.
        3 holes should be in the same direction, one will be 90 degrees off
        (drilled through next facing side).

        7. Take the metal strap and find center. Drill a hole to accept the
        bicycle wheel axle bolt. Measure from that hole out 3 inches to either
        side and drill a 7/16 inch hole, measure 1-1/2 inches beyond that and
        drill another 7/16 inch hole. Cut the strap about 1/2 inch past the
        last holes as measured from the center. Measure from the center hole
        out 1-1/2 inches to either side, and put a 45 degree bend in each
        side to form the U shape.

        At this time, you should have the basic mount for the quintain wheel.

        8. Take the tennis rackets, and place them on the foam. Trace around
        the racket, and cut out 6 pieces of foam that shape. Then with duct
        tape, tape one piece of foam on each side of the racket.

        9. With the rackets completed, take one racket and place on the wheel.
        Insert the racket handle into or amoung the spokes of the wheel. Using
        the strapping tape, tape the racket handle in place by wrapping around
        the spokes and the handle. The end of the handle should be about 3-4
        inches from the hub axle. Now tape around the wheel rim and the part
        of the racket handle that is resting on the rim. Do not be shy in
        using tape here, this is for structural integrity.

        10. Repeat 9 for the other two rackets.

        11. Take the rope and thread through the top rope hole, and tie a knot
        on either side of the 4x4. Take care to place/push the knot as close
        to the 4x4 as possible. Hold rope down towards the stakes, and give
        yourself about 3 feet extra past the end of the 2x4, then cut and
        dress the end of the rope to keep it from fraying.

        Do the same for the bottom rope hole. You now should have ropes that
        will extend from the 4x4 to the end of each 2x4.

        Assembly...

        Place the 2x4 in the X shape on the ground. Hammer the stakes through
        the angled holes towards the end, but leave about 3-4 inches sticking
        out.

        Place the 4x4, rebar end, into the hole in the 2x4. Take the ropes and
        fashion a tent style attachment to the stakes, in the end of the 2x4s.

        Bend the metal strap into a "U" shape (only squared corners, not
        round), and using the bicycle wheel's axle, bolt it to the middle hole
        in the strap.

        Now bolt the strap to the top end of the 4x4 using the two 4-1/2" x
        3/8 bolts and nuts.

        Go ahead and pound the stakes in further, and adjust tension on the
        ropes to hold the 4x4 firmly.

        That should be it. It makes for quick setup and tear down.

        Yours In Service through Archery,
        Godwin
      • godwinthearcher

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 10, 2002
            godwinthearcher wrote:

            > So here goes the description. I'll post a picture of the thing as soon
            > as possible, because
            > a picture is worth a thousand words.
            >
            > This is a timed shoot, 30 seconds. The timing starts when the archer
            > looses the first arrow, that way, if there is a little wind spinning
            > the wheel prematurely, it makes it as fair as possible.

            What if the wind varies greatly and some have a slow target and others a
            fast target? And what if there is no wind? Still, it sounds like fun.

            Jon

            > The shoot
            > starts at 20 yards. In case of a tie, you move the shooting line back
            > 5 yards at a whack, until there is a winner. One point per arrow, and
            > the arrow has to enter the face of the target to count. No through the
            > side shots, and the "fair target face" is the target face presenting
            > itself on the right side of the wheel.
            >
            > Read clear through the following, and if there are any questions,
            > please don't hesitate to ask!!
          • godwinthearcher
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 10, 2002
              --- In SCA-Archery@y..., John Edgerton <sirjon1@p...> wrote:

              > What if the wind varies greatly and some have a slow target and
              others a
              > fast target? And what if there is no wind? Still, it sounds like
              fun.

              > Jon

              Since the wheel is based on a bicycle wheel and axle, it moves very
              very freely. It doesn't take much wind to move it either in one
              direction or the other. The rules are intended to take into
              consideration that there may be wind, but are meant to be shot in
              little to no wind conditions-the arrows being the energy that spins
              the target.

              But when the target presents itself to the archer properly, then he
              shoots, and then the timing starts. The premise is that the arrow will
              hit the target and impart it's own energy to the wheel, that then
              spins the wheel with a degree of stability (unlike the wind). If the
              archer misses that first arrow, he/she may have to wait until a target
              presents itself proper again, OR try to shoot the target that is
              presenting a partial face (smaller target). If there is no wind, well
              the archer just knocks up fast and looses another arrow.

              Godwin
            • John Rockwell
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 10, 2002
                For those of you who wasn't able to attend Estrella War XVIII. This
                was one of the timed shoots for the Archery War point.

                From what I understand it was an interesting shoot. The Royals
                enjoyed it and so did many of the archers

                YIS

                Lord Ian Griffen the Archer
                Deputy Royal Archer Kingdom of Atenveldt

                http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
              • Carolus Eulenhorst
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 10, 2002
                  Do you place targets on each of the rackets or just one, using the others
                  for balance?

                  In service to the dream
                  Carolus von Eulenhorst
                  eulenhorst@...

                  GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                  http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                • godwinthearcher
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 10, 2002
                    --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@j...> wrote:
                    > Do you place targets on each of the rackets or just one, using the
                    others
                    > for balance?
                    >
                    > In service to the dream
                    > Carolus von Eulenhorst
                    > eulenhorst@j...

                    All 3 (or 4 if you want) of the rackets are targets. You just shoot
                    the one that is on the right side at any given time.

                    Godwin
                  • godwinthearcher
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 10, 2002
                      I have just posted 5 pics of the Quintain in the photos area, in the
                      Quintain folder. Hopefully that sheds more light on the thing.

                      Godwin
                    • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 10, 2002
                        Thanks Godwin.

                        It sounds like a great fun shoot. Maybe not a truly period shoot, but
                        it has the flavor of one and would make a great shoot for a demo as
                        well. (spectators like spinning things)

                        I would like to use this idea for my mundane archery club. It seems easy
                        enough to implement, and not too many moving parts to break down.

                        I'm thinking of doing it as a friend/foe
                        heraldry shoot with shield shapes,hmmmm.

                        -Geoffrei

                      • godwinthearcher
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 10, 2002
                          --- In SCA-Archery@y..., jrosswebb1@w... wrote:
                          > Thanks Godwin.
                          >
                          > It sounds like a great fun shoot. Maybe not a truly period shoot,
                          but
                          > it has the flavor of one and would make a great shoot for a demo as
                          > well. (spectators like spinning things)
                          >
                          > I would like to use this idea for my mundane archery club. It seems
                          easy
                          > enough to implement, and not too many moving parts to break down.
                          >
                          > I'm thinking of doing it as a friend/foe
                          > heraldry shoot with shield shapes,hmmmm.
                          >
                          > -Geoffrei

                          Oh I wouldn't try to pawn it as a period type shoot, just one that is
                          kinda fun and little more difficult at the same time.

                          I was shooting it with my tackle (57lb longbow, ~600 grain arrows)
                          they would only stick out the back about 6 inches at the most. But
                          spin it pretty well.

                          It sets up and takes down pretty fast.

                          Shield shapes, hey there's a good twist...have fun!!

                          Godwin
                        • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 10, 2002
                            Hi Godwin,
                            I realize that you were not saying it was a period shoot, but I
                            like to think of doing things at demos that at least have the
                            appearrance of period, and this seems to fit the bill perfectly. A
                            quintain is a perfectly period implement and can be made to look good
                            for the mundanes and also has enough bells and whistles to hold their
                            interest. I love it. I'll use it. Thanks.
                            -Geoffrei