Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Good crossbow quote?

  • cwilson@mhmh.org
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
      "Crossbowmen can hold it longer."

      -Caedmon
    • Sam Cohen
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
        How about

        "Long bow... we don't need no stinken' longbow"

        Demetrious

      • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
          At 8:17 AM 6/7/02 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:
          >"Speed is everything."
          >
          >-Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed round

          Which is an argument for longbow (handbow) vs. crossbow.

          I would argue for "accuracy is everything" (with adequate speed of course).

          James
          jotl@...
        • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
            At 1:28 PM 6/7/02 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:
            >"Crossbowmen can hold it longer."
            >
            >-Caedmon

            I like this one... ;-)

            James
            jotl@...
          • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
              >cwilson@... wrote:
              >"Crossbowmen can hold it longer."
              >-Caedmon

              I don't know about that one Caedmon, It kind of makes crossbowman sound
              like they get constipated a lot, or suffer from uremic poisoning.
              I understand your sentiment, but think of what others and mundanes
              will think it means.
              -Geoffrei (a dyed in the wool longbowman, but thinks crossbows are just
              fine for those that want to shoot them)

            • icetiger1
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                Who said that originally, the french at Agincourt?

                Sam Cohen wrote:

                > How about
                >
                > "Long bow... we don't need no stinken' longbow"
                >
                > Demetrious

              • james kennedy
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                  How about "The crossbow, for when you really want to reach out and
                  touch something."

                  cnut

                  http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                • Bruce R. Gordon
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                    Greetings
                    Naah, much earlier than Agincourt; they said it at Crecy and Poitiers.
                    And the Scots said it at Falkirk, Dupplin Muir, and Halidon Hill even
                    earlier than that...

                    Nigel

                    --
                    Ex Tenebra, Lux

                  • Janet Thompson
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                      I saw a bumper sticker: "I don't have a quarrel with you...I have several
                      quarrels for you."

                      Maeve

                    • conradvonzollern
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                        How exactly do you do that?

                        Conrad von Zollern

                        --- In SCA-Archery@y..., cwilson@m... wrote:

                        > "Speed is everything."
                        >
                        > -Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed
                        round
                      • Scott L Hecathorn
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                          The way I teach people how to shoot timed rounds is to shoot for
                          accuracy, and speed will later evolve from it. Why shoot like a shotgun
                          if you can raise your score by shooting less.

                          Robert Thorne (who only shoots 7 bolts, but scores an average of 32
                          points)

                          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                        • Allan B Zdarsky
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                            How about "Never quarrel with a quarrel"
                            Aleksei

                            On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 23:36:04 -0400 Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                            <crossbow@...> writes:
                            > Alright, I'm looking for a 'good crossbow quote', IE, something that a
                            > crossbowman would be proud to say, and perhaps wear on a T-Shirt.
                            > Similar to the T-Shirts sold at Pennsic, with the one that says:
                            "Archer -
                            > Go ahead run, you'll just die tired."
                            > And I'm drawing a blank.
                            > My (VERY bad) ideas that are coming to mind (but give you the
                            > general idea) are:
                            > "Accuracy is everything, speed is irrelevant." (The only one that
                            > sounds sorta good)
                            > "Draw-weight does matter."
                            > Anyone have a better one/ones?
                            >
                            > Siegfried

                            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                              The way I like to teach speed(for crossbows) is to get off as many as
                              possible to get the rythem(sp) down. Kind of like juggeling(sp). Then as
                              the rough spots smooth out with practice and your score will reach new
                              highs.

                              James Cunningham

                              > The way I teach people how to shoot timed rounds is to shoot for
                              > accuracy, and speed will later evolve from it. Why shoot like a shotgun
                              > if you can raise your score by shooting less.
                              >
                              > Robert Thorne (who only shoots 7 bolts, but scores an average of 32
                              > points)

                              > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                              > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

                            • Jack Bradley
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                I think the French already used that one
                                Ragnar