Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Good crossbow quote?

  • atruemark@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
      fleclerc@... writes:

      > > Or perhaps a graphic of a crossbowman drawing a bead on the viewer
      > > with the caption, "Feelest thou lucky today, varlet?"
      >
      > Oh, I love that one.

      "My bolts fly faster than you can bolt"

      Gorm

      Both of these are very good - I can especially see the tee-shirt with the
      "varlet" quote.

      Andras Truemark

    • cwilson@mhmh.org
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
        "Crossbowmen can hold it longer."

        -Caedmon
      • Sam Cohen
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
          How about

          "Long bow... we don't need no stinken' longbow"

          Demetrious

        • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
            At 8:17 AM 6/7/02 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:
            >"Speed is everything."
            >
            >-Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed round

            Which is an argument for longbow (handbow) vs. crossbow.

            I would argue for "accuracy is everything" (with adequate speed of course).

            James
            jotl@...
          • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
              At 1:28 PM 6/7/02 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:
              >"Crossbowmen can hold it longer."
              >
              >-Caedmon

              I like this one... ;-)

              James
              jotl@...
            • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                >cwilson@... wrote:
                >"Crossbowmen can hold it longer."
                >-Caedmon

                I don't know about that one Caedmon, It kind of makes crossbowman sound
                like they get constipated a lot, or suffer from uremic poisoning.
                I understand your sentiment, but think of what others and mundanes
                will think it means.
                -Geoffrei (a dyed in the wool longbowman, but thinks crossbows are just
                fine for those that want to shoot them)

              • icetiger1
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                  Who said that originally, the french at Agincourt?

                  Sam Cohen wrote:

                  > How about
                  >
                  > "Long bow... we don't need no stinken' longbow"
                  >
                  > Demetrious

                • james kennedy
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                    How about "The crossbow, for when you really want to reach out and
                    touch something."

                    cnut

                    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                  • Bruce R. Gordon
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                      Greetings
                      Naah, much earlier than Agincourt; they said it at Crecy and Poitiers.
                      And the Scots said it at Falkirk, Dupplin Muir, and Halidon Hill even
                      earlier than that...

                      Nigel

                      --
                      Ex Tenebra, Lux

                    • Janet Thompson
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                        I saw a bumper sticker: "I don't have a quarrel with you...I have several
                        quarrels for you."

                        Maeve

                      • conradvonzollern
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                          How exactly do you do that?

                          Conrad von Zollern

                          --- In SCA-Archery@y..., cwilson@m... wrote:

                          > "Speed is everything."
                          >
                          > -Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed
                          round
                        • Scott L Hecathorn
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                            The way I teach people how to shoot timed rounds is to shoot for
                            accuracy, and speed will later evolve from it. Why shoot like a shotgun
                            if you can raise your score by shooting less.

                            Robert Thorne (who only shoots 7 bolts, but scores an average of 32
                            points)

                            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                          • Allan B Zdarsky
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                              How about "Never quarrel with a quarrel"
                              Aleksei

                              On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 23:36:04 -0400 Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                              <crossbow@...> writes:
                              > Alright, I'm looking for a 'good crossbow quote', IE, something that a
                              > crossbowman would be proud to say, and perhaps wear on a T-Shirt.
                              > Similar to the T-Shirts sold at Pennsic, with the one that says:
                              "Archer -
                              > Go ahead run, you'll just die tired."
                              > And I'm drawing a blank.
                              > My (VERY bad) ideas that are coming to mind (but give you the
                              > general idea) are:
                              > "Accuracy is everything, speed is irrelevant." (The only one that
                              > sounds sorta good)
                              > "Draw-weight does matter."
                              > Anyone have a better one/ones?
                              >
                              > Siegfried

                              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                The way I like to teach speed(for crossbows) is to get off as many as
                                possible to get the rythem(sp) down. Kind of like juggeling(sp). Then as
                                the rough spots smooth out with practice and your score will reach new
                                highs.

                                James Cunningham

                                > The way I teach people how to shoot timed rounds is to shoot for
                                > accuracy, and speed will later evolve from it. Why shoot like a shotgun
                                > if you can raise your score by shooting less.
                                >
                                > Robert Thorne (who only shoots 7 bolts, but scores an average of 32
                                > points)

                                > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

                              • Jack Bradley
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                  I think the French already used that one
                                  Ragnar