Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Good crossbow quote?

  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 6, 2002
      >Bartlett's On-line surely didn't have a thing on crossbows!

      Actually, you get me interested, and I dug deeper in Barlett's, and found
      one, not the greatest for T-Shirt type usage, but cool anyway:

      "A fooles bolt is soone shot."

      And it's actually in period: # John Heywood (1497?-1580?)

      A less translated version was: "Sottes bolt is sone shote."

      Of course, this is just a crossbowman's version of the standard 'Haste
      makes waste'. And guess what, that quote is attributed to this guy as well:

      John Heywood
      4 Haste maketh waste.
      Proverbes. Part i. Chap. ii.

      Siegfried

      Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
    • atruemark@aol.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
        fleclerc@... writes:

        > > Or perhaps a graphic of a crossbowman drawing a bead on the viewer
        > > with the caption, "Feelest thou lucky today, varlet?"
        >
        > Oh, I love that one.

        "My bolts fly faster than you can bolt"

        Gorm

        Both of these are very good - I can especially see the tee-shirt with the
        "varlet" quote.

        Andras Truemark

      • cwilson@mhmh.org
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
          "Crossbowmen can hold it longer."

          -Caedmon
        • Sam Cohen
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
            How about

            "Long bow... we don't need no stinken' longbow"

            Demetrious

          • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
              At 8:17 AM 6/7/02 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:
              >"Speed is everything."
              >
              >-Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed round

              Which is an argument for longbow (handbow) vs. crossbow.

              I would argue for "accuracy is everything" (with adequate speed of course).

              James
              jotl@...
            • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                At 1:28 PM 6/7/02 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:
                >"Crossbowmen can hold it longer."
                >
                >-Caedmon

                I like this one... ;-)

                James
                jotl@...
              • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                  >cwilson@... wrote:
                  >"Crossbowmen can hold it longer."
                  >-Caedmon

                  I don't know about that one Caedmon, It kind of makes crossbowman sound
                  like they get constipated a lot, or suffer from uremic poisoning.
                  I understand your sentiment, but think of what others and mundanes
                  will think it means.
                  -Geoffrei (a dyed in the wool longbowman, but thinks crossbows are just
                  fine for those that want to shoot them)

                • icetiger1
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                    Who said that originally, the french at Agincourt?

                    Sam Cohen wrote:

                    > How about
                    >
                    > "Long bow... we don't need no stinken' longbow"
                    >
                    > Demetrious

                  • james kennedy
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                      How about "The crossbow, for when you really want to reach out and
                      touch something."

                      cnut

                      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                    • Bruce R. Gordon
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                        Greetings
                        Naah, much earlier than Agincourt; they said it at Crecy and Poitiers.
                        And the Scots said it at Falkirk, Dupplin Muir, and Halidon Hill even
                        earlier than that...

                        Nigel

                        --
                        Ex Tenebra, Lux

                      • Janet Thompson
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                          I saw a bumper sticker: "I don't have a quarrel with you...I have several
                          quarrels for you."

                          Maeve

                        • conradvonzollern
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                            How exactly do you do that?

                            Conrad von Zollern

                            --- In SCA-Archery@y..., cwilson@m... wrote:

                            > "Speed is everything."
                            >
                            > -Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed
                            round
                          • Scott L Hecathorn
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                              The way I teach people how to shoot timed rounds is to shoot for
                              accuracy, and speed will later evolve from it. Why shoot like a shotgun
                              if you can raise your score by shooting less.

                              Robert Thorne (who only shoots 7 bolts, but scores an average of 32
                              points)

                              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                            • Allan B Zdarsky
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                How about "Never quarrel with a quarrel"
                                Aleksei

                                On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 23:36:04 -0400 Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                <crossbow@...> writes:
                                > Alright, I'm looking for a 'good crossbow quote', IE, something that a
                                > crossbowman would be proud to say, and perhaps wear on a T-Shirt.
                                > Similar to the T-Shirts sold at Pennsic, with the one that says:
                                "Archer -
                                > Go ahead run, you'll just die tired."
                                > And I'm drawing a blank.
                                > My (VERY bad) ideas that are coming to mind (but give you the
                                > general idea) are:
                                > "Accuracy is everything, speed is irrelevant." (The only one that
                                > sounds sorta good)
                                > "Draw-weight does matter."
                                > Anyone have a better one/ones?
                                >
                                > Siegfried

                                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                  The way I like to teach speed(for crossbows) is to get off as many as
                                  possible to get the rythem(sp) down. Kind of like juggeling(sp). Then as
                                  the rough spots smooth out with practice and your score will reach new
                                  highs.

                                  James Cunningham

                                  > The way I teach people how to shoot timed rounds is to shoot for
                                  > accuracy, and speed will later evolve from it. Why shoot like a shotgun
                                  > if you can raise your score by shooting less.
                                  >
                                  > Robert Thorne (who only shoots 7 bolts, but scores an average of 32
                                  > points)

                                  > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                  > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

                                • Jack Bradley
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                    I think the French already used that one
                                    Ragnar