Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Good crossbow quote?

  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 6, 2002
      >Bartlett's On-line surely didn't have a thing on crossbows!

      Actually, you get me interested, and I dug deeper in Barlett's, and found
      one, not the greatest for T-Shirt type usage, but cool anyway:

      "A fooles bolt is soone shot."

      And it's actually in period: # John Heywood (1497?-1580?)

      A less translated version was: "Sottes bolt is sone shote."

      Of course, this is just a crossbowman's version of the standard 'Haste
      makes waste'. And guess what, that quote is attributed to this guy as well:

      John Heywood
      4 Haste maketh waste.
      Proverbes. Part i. Chap. ii.

      Siegfried

      Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
    • cwilson@mhmh.org
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
        "Let me introduce you to my 40 yard long sword."

        -Caedmon
      • Lillian Watson
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
          "Crossbowmen: for when you want to reach out and touch someone."

          "Crossbowmen: for when you need to reach out and touch that special
          someone."

          Aibinn, an archer who respects crossbowmen
        • atruemark@aol.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
            fleclerc@... writes:

            > > Or perhaps a graphic of a crossbowman drawing a bead on the viewer
            > > with the caption, "Feelest thou lucky today, varlet?"
            >
            > Oh, I love that one.

            "My bolts fly faster than you can bolt"

            Gorm

            Both of these are very good - I can especially see the tee-shirt with the
            "varlet" quote.

            Andras Truemark

          • cwilson@mhmh.org
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
              "Crossbowmen can hold it longer."

              -Caedmon
            • Sam Cohen
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                How about

                "Long bow... we don't need no stinken' longbow"

                Demetrious

              • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                  At 8:17 AM 6/7/02 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:
                  >"Speed is everything."
                  >
                  >-Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed round

                  Which is an argument for longbow (handbow) vs. crossbow.

                  I would argue for "accuracy is everything" (with adequate speed of course).

                  James
                  jotl@...
                • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                    At 1:28 PM 6/7/02 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:
                    >"Crossbowmen can hold it longer."
                    >
                    >-Caedmon

                    I like this one... ;-)

                    James
                    jotl@...
                  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                      >cwilson@... wrote:
                      >"Crossbowmen can hold it longer."
                      >-Caedmon

                      I don't know about that one Caedmon, It kind of makes crossbowman sound
                      like they get constipated a lot, or suffer from uremic poisoning.
                      I understand your sentiment, but think of what others and mundanes
                      will think it means.
                      -Geoffrei (a dyed in the wool longbowman, but thinks crossbows are just
                      fine for those that want to shoot them)

                    • icetiger1
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                        Who said that originally, the french at Agincourt?

                        Sam Cohen wrote:

                        > How about
                        >
                        > "Long bow... we don't need no stinken' longbow"
                        >
                        > Demetrious

                      • james kennedy
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                          How about "The crossbow, for when you really want to reach out and
                          touch something."

                          cnut

                          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                        • Bruce R. Gordon
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                            Greetings
                            Naah, much earlier than Agincourt; they said it at Crecy and Poitiers.
                            And the Scots said it at Falkirk, Dupplin Muir, and Halidon Hill even
                            earlier than that...

                            Nigel

                            --
                            Ex Tenebra, Lux

                          • Janet Thompson
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                              I saw a bumper sticker: "I don't have a quarrel with you...I have several
                              quarrels for you."

                              Maeve

                            • conradvonzollern
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                How exactly do you do that?

                                Conrad von Zollern

                                --- In SCA-Archery@y..., cwilson@m... wrote:

                                > "Speed is everything."
                                >
                                > -Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed
                                round
                              • Scott L Hecathorn
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                  The way I teach people how to shoot timed rounds is to shoot for
                                  accuracy, and speed will later evolve from it. Why shoot like a shotgun
                                  if you can raise your score by shooting less.

                                  Robert Thorne (who only shoots 7 bolts, but scores an average of 32
                                  points)

                                  GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                  http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                                • Allan B Zdarsky
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                    How about "Never quarrel with a quarrel"
                                    Aleksei

                                    On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 23:36:04 -0400 Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                    <crossbow@...> writes:
                                    > Alright, I'm looking for a 'good crossbow quote', IE, something that a
                                    > crossbowman would be proud to say, and perhaps wear on a T-Shirt.
                                    > Similar to the T-Shirts sold at Pennsic, with the one that says:
                                    "Archer -
                                    > Go ahead run, you'll just die tired."
                                    > And I'm drawing a blank.
                                    > My (VERY bad) ideas that are coming to mind (but give you the
                                    > general idea) are:
                                    > "Accuracy is everything, speed is irrelevant." (The only one that
                                    > sounds sorta good)
                                    > "Draw-weight does matter."
                                    > Anyone have a better one/ones?
                                    >
                                    > Siegfried

                                    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                                  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                      The way I like to teach speed(for crossbows) is to get off as many as
                                      possible to get the rythem(sp) down. Kind of like juggeling(sp). Then as
                                      the rough spots smooth out with practice and your score will reach new
                                      highs.

                                      James Cunningham

                                      > The way I teach people how to shoot timed rounds is to shoot for
                                      > accuracy, and speed will later evolve from it. Why shoot like a shotgun
                                      > if you can raise your score by shooting less.
                                      >
                                      > Robert Thorne (who only shoots 7 bolts, but scores an average of 32
                                      > points)

                                      > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                      > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

                                    • Jack Bradley
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                        I think the French already used that one
                                        Ragnar