Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Good crossbow quote?

  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 6, 2002
      >Bartlett's On-line surely didn't have a thing on crossbows!

      Actually, you get me interested, and I dug deeper in Barlett's, and found
      one, not the greatest for T-Shirt type usage, but cool anyway:

      "A fooles bolt is soone shot."

      And it's actually in period: # John Heywood (1497?-1580?)

      A less translated version was: "Sottes bolt is sone shote."

      Of course, this is just a crossbowman's version of the standard 'Haste
      makes waste'. And guess what, that quote is attributed to this guy as well:

      John Heywood
      4 Haste maketh waste.
      Proverbes. Part i. Chap. ii.

      Siegfried

      Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
        --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@f...>
        wrote:
        > Alright, I'm looking for a 'good crossbow quote'

        Bartlett's On-line surely didn't have a thing on crossbows!

        "You can get more with a kind word and a crossbow than you can with a
        kind word." (Perhaps in Latin?)

        Or perhaps a graphic of a crossbowman drawing a bead on the viewer
        with the caption, "Feelest thou lucky today, varlet?"

        BTW, one of our local merchants has constructed a toy crossbow that
        fires peanuts!

        Jehanne de Wodeford (WEST)
      • Francois Leclerc
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
          > Or perhaps a graphic of a crossbowman drawing a bead on the viewer
          > with the caption, "Feelest thou lucky today, varlet?"

          Oh, I love that one.
        • cwilson@mhmh.org
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
            "Let me introduce you to my 40 yard long sword."

            -Caedmon
          • Lillian Watson
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
              "Crossbowmen: for when you want to reach out and touch someone."

              "Crossbowmen: for when you need to reach out and touch that special
              someone."

              Aibinn, an archer who respects crossbowmen
            • atruemark@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                fleclerc@... writes:

                > > Or perhaps a graphic of a crossbowman drawing a bead on the viewer
                > > with the caption, "Feelest thou lucky today, varlet?"
                >
                > Oh, I love that one.

                "My bolts fly faster than you can bolt"

                Gorm

                Both of these are very good - I can especially see the tee-shirt with the
                "varlet" quote.

                Andras Truemark

              • cwilson@mhmh.org
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                  "Crossbowmen can hold it longer."

                  -Caedmon
                • Sam Cohen
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                    How about

                    "Long bow... we don't need no stinken' longbow"

                    Demetrious

                  • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                      At 8:17 AM 6/7/02 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:
                      >"Speed is everything."
                      >
                      >-Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed round

                      Which is an argument for longbow (handbow) vs. crossbow.

                      I would argue for "accuracy is everything" (with adequate speed of course).

                      James
                      jotl@...
                    • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                        At 1:28 PM 6/7/02 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:
                        >"Crossbowmen can hold it longer."
                        >
                        >-Caedmon

                        I like this one... ;-)

                        James
                        jotl@...
                      • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                          >cwilson@... wrote:
                          >"Crossbowmen can hold it longer."
                          >-Caedmon

                          I don't know about that one Caedmon, It kind of makes crossbowman sound
                          like they get constipated a lot, or suffer from uremic poisoning.
                          I understand your sentiment, but think of what others and mundanes
                          will think it means.
                          -Geoffrei (a dyed in the wool longbowman, but thinks crossbows are just
                          fine for those that want to shoot them)

                        • icetiger1
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                            Who said that originally, the french at Agincourt?

                            Sam Cohen wrote:

                            > How about
                            >
                            > "Long bow... we don't need no stinken' longbow"
                            >
                            > Demetrious

                          • james kennedy
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                              How about "The crossbow, for when you really want to reach out and
                              touch something."

                              cnut

                              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                            • Bruce R. Gordon
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                Greetings
                                Naah, much earlier than Agincourt; they said it at Crecy and Poitiers.
                                And the Scots said it at Falkirk, Dupplin Muir, and Halidon Hill even
                                earlier than that...

                                Nigel

                                --
                                Ex Tenebra, Lux

                              • Janet Thompson
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                  I saw a bumper sticker: "I don't have a quarrel with you...I have several
                                  quarrels for you."

                                  Maeve

                                • conradvonzollern
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                    How exactly do you do that?

                                    Conrad von Zollern

                                    --- In SCA-Archery@y..., cwilson@m... wrote:

                                    > "Speed is everything."
                                    >
                                    > -Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed
                                    round
                                  • Scott L Hecathorn
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                      The way I teach people how to shoot timed rounds is to shoot for
                                      accuracy, and speed will later evolve from it. Why shoot like a shotgun
                                      if you can raise your score by shooting less.

                                      Robert Thorne (who only shoots 7 bolts, but scores an average of 32
                                      points)

                                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                                    • Allan B Zdarsky
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                        How about "Never quarrel with a quarrel"
                                        Aleksei

                                        On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 23:36:04 -0400 Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                        <crossbow@...> writes:
                                        > Alright, I'm looking for a 'good crossbow quote', IE, something that a
                                        > crossbowman would be proud to say, and perhaps wear on a T-Shirt.
                                        > Similar to the T-Shirts sold at Pennsic, with the one that says:
                                        "Archer -
                                        > Go ahead run, you'll just die tired."
                                        > And I'm drawing a blank.
                                        > My (VERY bad) ideas that are coming to mind (but give you the
                                        > general idea) are:
                                        > "Accuracy is everything, speed is irrelevant." (The only one that
                                        > sounds sorta good)
                                        > "Draw-weight does matter."
                                        > Anyone have a better one/ones?
                                        >
                                        > Siegfried

                                        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                                      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                          The way I like to teach speed(for crossbows) is to get off as many as
                                          possible to get the rythem(sp) down. Kind of like juggeling(sp). Then as
                                          the rough spots smooth out with practice and your score will reach new
                                          highs.

                                          James Cunningham

                                          > The way I teach people how to shoot timed rounds is to shoot for
                                          > accuracy, and speed will later evolve from it. Why shoot like a shotgun
                                          > if you can raise your score by shooting less.
                                          >
                                          > Robert Thorne (who only shoots 7 bolts, but scores an average of 32
                                          > points)

                                          > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                          > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

                                        • Jack Bradley
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                            I think the French already used that one
                                            Ragnar