Re: [SCA-Archery] The Way of the Crossbow

  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 6, 2002
      >"The Way of the Crossbow", hosted by Caedmon Wilson.

      *grin*

      >I solved a small problem that had hampered me from truly great speed rounds.
      >My teacher and mentor, James Cunninghma, taught me to go for speed. There are
      >two methods: 1) Slow and accurate and 2) fast and wild. With practice,
      >You can
      >be fast and accurate, too.
      >
      >When I am cocked and ready for the first shot, I aim with my right eye like I
      >normally do in an untimed round. In prep for the next shot, I open my
      >left eye
      >and see where the bolt tip appears on the target (it drops, relative to my
      >facial position and angle) and loose the bolt. I then keep both eyes
      >open. It
      >took me some time, but I'm hoping to regularly reach 40 points or more in a
      >speed round by summer's end.

      Well, I had a problem as well, and fixed it to move from 5 to 6. But I'm
      not going over 6 without changing equipment, or stance.

      I'm getting 6 off, standing, with a free-rolling nut. Everything
      completely snap-shooting - bow up, good enough, pull trigger, re-span. I
      have to watch myself or I will start coming back down to cock a split
      second before I fire and I will hit low.

      But doing this (phases of the moon aside), my scores at speed are in the
      24-29 range.

      Only way I'm going to get more, is to sit, or use a different bow with a
      faster setting mechanism.

      > > Mine is 104.0 ... and I only get 6 shots off on the speed round.
      >
      >The speed round is everything in a royal round. You need to average 26.25
      >points per end to reach 105.

      Well, being an Atlantian, my goal is always 100, our top rank ... so I'm
      always thinking about needing a 25 at each range.

      >I average higher than that, except my 40 yard, which still waivers from 18 to
      >29, given the position of the moon, wind direction and what I had for lunch.

      40yd can be funny like that. Although before I switched to longer ammo, it
      was my 30yd that was like that :) 40, deadon, 20, deadon, 30, iffy. Now
      I'm 20/30 deadon, and 40 is iffy. I'm happier that way :)

      Siegfried

      Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
    • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 6, 2002
        >Bartlett's On-line surely didn't have a thing on crossbows!

        Actually, you get me interested, and I dug deeper in Barlett's, and found
        one, not the greatest for T-Shirt type usage, but cool anyway:

        "A fooles bolt is soone shot."

        And it's actually in period: # John Heywood (1497?-1580?)

        A less translated version was: "Sottes bolt is sone shote."

        Of course, this is just a crossbowman's version of the standard 'Haste
        makes waste'. And guess what, that quote is attributed to this guy as well:

        John Heywood
        4 Haste maketh waste.
        Proverbes. Part i. Chap. ii.

        Siegfried

        Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
      • Karius of Lochford
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
          Greetings from Lochac,

          Whilst I am an archer by preference I have great respect for the
          accuracy of the crossbow and it's ability to make an average person into
          quite an accurate (cross)bowman.

          So with all due affection I offer a quote once given to me by someone
          who felt I was shooting particularly well on the day. From my sig.

          Speed is fine
          Accuracy is final

          Kindest regards

          Lord Karius of Lochford AA, SN, RCA. |
          Stormhold Baronial Champion | Speed is fine
          Lochac Principality/Kingdom Archer | Accuracy is final
        • Gorm Of Berra
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
            "My bolts fly faster than you can bolt"

            Gorm
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
              --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@f...>
              wrote:
              > Alright, I'm looking for a 'good crossbow quote'

              Bartlett's On-line surely didn't have a thing on crossbows!

              "You can get more with a kind word and a crossbow than you can with a
              kind word." (Perhaps in Latin?)

              Or perhaps a graphic of a crossbowman drawing a bead on the viewer
              with the caption, "Feelest thou lucky today, varlet?"

              BTW, one of our local merchants has constructed a toy crossbow that
              fires peanuts!

              Jehanne de Wodeford (WEST)
            • Francois Leclerc
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                > Or perhaps a graphic of a crossbowman drawing a bead on the viewer
                > with the caption, "Feelest thou lucky today, varlet?"

                Oh, I love that one.
              • cwilson@mhmh.org
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                  "Let me introduce you to my 40 yard long sword."

                  -Caedmon
                • Lillian Watson
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                    "Crossbowmen: for when you want to reach out and touch someone."

                    "Crossbowmen: for when you need to reach out and touch that special
                    someone."

                    Aibinn, an archer who respects crossbowmen
                  • atruemark@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                      fleclerc@... writes:

                      > > Or perhaps a graphic of a crossbowman drawing a bead on the viewer
                      > > with the caption, "Feelest thou lucky today, varlet?"
                      >
                      > Oh, I love that one.

                      "My bolts fly faster than you can bolt"

                      Gorm

                      Both of these are very good - I can especially see the tee-shirt with the
                      "varlet" quote.

                      Andras Truemark

                    • cwilson@mhmh.org
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                        "Crossbowmen can hold it longer."

                        -Caedmon
                      • Sam Cohen
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                          How about

                          "Long bow... we don't need no stinken' longbow"

                          Demetrious

                        • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                            At 8:17 AM 6/7/02 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:
                            >"Speed is everything."
                            >
                            >-Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed round

                            Which is an argument for longbow (handbow) vs. crossbow.

                            I would argue for "accuracy is everything" (with adequate speed of course).

                            James
                            jotl@...
                          • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                              At 1:28 PM 6/7/02 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:
                              >"Crossbowmen can hold it longer."
                              >
                              >-Caedmon

                              I like this one... ;-)

                              James
                              jotl@...
                            • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                >cwilson@... wrote:
                                >"Crossbowmen can hold it longer."
                                >-Caedmon

                                I don't know about that one Caedmon, It kind of makes crossbowman sound
                                like they get constipated a lot, or suffer from uremic poisoning.
                                I understand your sentiment, but think of what others and mundanes
                                will think it means.
                                -Geoffrei (a dyed in the wool longbowman, but thinks crossbows are just
                                fine for those that want to shoot them)

                              • icetiger1
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                  Who said that originally, the french at Agincourt?

                                  Sam Cohen wrote:

                                  > How about
                                  >
                                  > "Long bow... we don't need no stinken' longbow"
                                  >
                                  > Demetrious

                                • james kennedy
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                    How about "The crossbow, for when you really want to reach out and
                                    touch something."

                                    cnut

                                    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                                  • Bruce R. Gordon
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                      Greetings
                                      Naah, much earlier than Agincourt; they said it at Crecy and Poitiers.
                                      And the Scots said it at Falkirk, Dupplin Muir, and Halidon Hill even
                                      earlier than that...

                                      Nigel

                                      --
                                      Ex Tenebra, Lux

                                    • Janet Thompson
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                        I saw a bumper sticker: "I don't have a quarrel with you...I have several
                                        quarrels for you."

                                        Maeve

                                      • conradvonzollern
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                          How exactly do you do that?

                                          Conrad von Zollern

                                          --- In SCA-Archery@y..., cwilson@m... wrote:

                                          > "Speed is everything."
                                          >
                                          > -Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed
                                          round
                                        • Scott L Hecathorn
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                            The way I teach people how to shoot timed rounds is to shoot for
                                            accuracy, and speed will later evolve from it. Why shoot like a shotgun
                                            if you can raise your score by shooting less.

                                            Robert Thorne (who only shoots 7 bolts, but scores an average of 32
                                            points)

                                            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                                          • Allan B Zdarsky
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                              How about "Never quarrel with a quarrel"
                                              Aleksei

                                              On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 23:36:04 -0400 Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                              <crossbow@...> writes:
                                              > Alright, I'm looking for a 'good crossbow quote', IE, something that a
                                              > crossbowman would be proud to say, and perhaps wear on a T-Shirt.
                                              > Similar to the T-Shirts sold at Pennsic, with the one that says:
                                              "Archer -
                                              > Go ahead run, you'll just die tired."
                                              > And I'm drawing a blank.
                                              > My (VERY bad) ideas that are coming to mind (but give you the
                                              > general idea) are:
                                              > "Accuracy is everything, speed is irrelevant." (The only one that
                                              > sounds sorta good)
                                              > "Draw-weight does matter."
                                              > Anyone have a better one/ones?
                                              >
                                              > Siegfried

                                              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                                            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                                The way I like to teach speed(for crossbows) is to get off as many as
                                                possible to get the rythem(sp) down. Kind of like juggeling(sp). Then as
                                                the rough spots smooth out with practice and your score will reach new
                                                highs.

                                                James Cunningham

                                                > The way I teach people how to shoot timed rounds is to shoot for
                                                > accuracy, and speed will later evolve from it. Why shoot like a shotgun
                                                > if you can raise your score by shooting less.
                                                >
                                                > Robert Thorne (who only shoots 7 bolts, but scores an average of 32
                                                > points)

                                                > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                                > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

                                              • Jack Bradley
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                                  I think the French already used that one
                                                  Ragnar