Re: [SCA-Archery] Good crossbow quote?

  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 6, 2002
      Ya know Caedmon ... I'd like to see a video of you shooting a speed round
      some day :)

      and you and I need to get together and 'combine' some scores *grin* I went
      and looked and your Royal average is 111.33, and that's with the 10-13
      bolts I'm figuring.

      Mine is 104.0 ... and I only get 6 shots off on the speed round.

      Siegfried

      At 08:17 AM 6/7/2002 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:

      >"Speed is everything."
      >
      >-Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed round

      Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
    • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 6, 2002
        >"The Way of the Crossbow", hosted by Caedmon Wilson.

        *grin*

        >I solved a small problem that had hampered me from truly great speed rounds.
        >My teacher and mentor, James Cunninghma, taught me to go for speed. There are
        >two methods: 1) Slow and accurate and 2) fast and wild. With practice,
        >You can
        >be fast and accurate, too.
        >
        >When I am cocked and ready for the first shot, I aim with my right eye like I
        >normally do in an untimed round. In prep for the next shot, I open my
        >left eye
        >and see where the bolt tip appears on the target (it drops, relative to my
        >facial position and angle) and loose the bolt. I then keep both eyes
        >open. It
        >took me some time, but I'm hoping to regularly reach 40 points or more in a
        >speed round by summer's end.

        Well, I had a problem as well, and fixed it to move from 5 to 6. But I'm
        not going over 6 without changing equipment, or stance.

        I'm getting 6 off, standing, with a free-rolling nut. Everything
        completely snap-shooting - bow up, good enough, pull trigger, re-span. I
        have to watch myself or I will start coming back down to cock a split
        second before I fire and I will hit low.

        But doing this (phases of the moon aside), my scores at speed are in the
        24-29 range.

        Only way I'm going to get more, is to sit, or use a different bow with a
        faster setting mechanism.

        > > Mine is 104.0 ... and I only get 6 shots off on the speed round.
        >
        >The speed round is everything in a royal round. You need to average 26.25
        >points per end to reach 105.

        Well, being an Atlantian, my goal is always 100, our top rank ... so I'm
        always thinking about needing a 25 at each range.

        >I average higher than that, except my 40 yard, which still waivers from 18 to
        >29, given the position of the moon, wind direction and what I had for lunch.

        40yd can be funny like that. Although before I switched to longer ammo, it
        was my 30yd that was like that :) 40, deadon, 20, deadon, 30, iffy. Now
        I'm 20/30 deadon, and 40 is iffy. I'm happier that way :)

        Siegfried

        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 6, 2002
          >Bartlett's On-line surely didn't have a thing on crossbows!

          Actually, you get me interested, and I dug deeper in Barlett's, and found
          one, not the greatest for T-Shirt type usage, but cool anyway:

          "A fooles bolt is soone shot."

          And it's actually in period: # John Heywood (1497?-1580?)

          A less translated version was: "Sottes bolt is sone shote."

          Of course, this is just a crossbowman's version of the standard 'Haste
          makes waste'. And guess what, that quote is attributed to this guy as well:

          John Heywood
          4 Haste maketh waste.
          Proverbes. Part i. Chap. ii.

          Siegfried

          Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
        • Dennis Cooley
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 6, 2002
            "Only Crossbowmen can prodly bolt it down"??
            John-Paul Bowyer

          • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 6, 2002
              Hi Seifried,
              Here's a few I thought of:

              "Crossbowman, I have a quarrel--you lose."

              "Crossbow, we don't poke fun at you, we just poke holes through your
              armor."

              "Crossbows, on target, full draw, all the time"

              "Crossbowman, we'll prod you to your grave"

              Just a few,hope it helps.
              -Geoffrei

            • cwilson@mhmh.org
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                "Speed is everything."

                -Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed round
              • Chad Wilson
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                  --- Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...> wrote:
                  > Ya know Caedmon ... I'd like to see a video of you shooting a speed round
                  > some day :)

                  "The Way of the Crossbow", hosted by Caedmon Wilson.

                  > and you and I need to get together and 'combine' some scores *grin* I went
                  > and looked and your Royal average is 111.33, and that's with the 10-13
                  > bolts I'm figuring.

                  I solved a small problem that had hampered me from truly great speed rounds.
                  My teacher and mentor, James Cunninghma, taught me to go for speed. There are
                  two methods: 1) Slow and accurate and 2) fast and wild. With practice, You can
                  be fast and accurate, too.

                  When I am cocked and ready for the first shot, I aim with my right eye like I
                  normally do in an untimed round. In prep for the next shot, I open my left eye
                  and see where the bolt tip appears on the target (it drops, relative to my
                  facial position and angle) and loose the bolt. I then keep both eyes open. It
                  took me some time, but I'm hoping to regularly reach 40 points or more in a
                  speed round by summer's end.

                  > Mine is 104.0 ... and I only get 6 shots off on the speed round.

                  The speed round is everything in a royal round. You need to average 26.25
                  points per end to reach 105. If you can average 35 points in a speed round,
                  then the other rounds only need to average 23.3 points per end. To be honest,
                  I average higher than that, except my 40 yard, which still waivers from 18 to
                  29, given the position of the moon, wind direction and what I had for lunch.

                  -Caedmon

                  http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                • Karius of Lochford
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                    Greetings from Lochac,

                    Whilst I am an archer by preference I have great respect for the
                    accuracy of the crossbow and it's ability to make an average person into
                    quite an accurate (cross)bowman.

                    So with all due affection I offer a quote once given to me by someone
                    who felt I was shooting particularly well on the day. From my sig.

                    Speed is fine
                    Accuracy is final

                    Kindest regards

                    Lord Karius of Lochford AA, SN, RCA. |
                    Stormhold Baronial Champion | Speed is fine
                    Lochac Principality/Kingdom Archer | Accuracy is final
                  • Gorm Of Berra
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                      "My bolts fly faster than you can bolt"

                      Gorm
                    • wodeford
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                        --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@f...>
                        wrote:
                        > Alright, I'm looking for a 'good crossbow quote'

                        Bartlett's On-line surely didn't have a thing on crossbows!

                        "You can get more with a kind word and a crossbow than you can with a
                        kind word." (Perhaps in Latin?)

                        Or perhaps a graphic of a crossbowman drawing a bead on the viewer
                        with the caption, "Feelest thou lucky today, varlet?"

                        BTW, one of our local merchants has constructed a toy crossbow that
                        fires peanuts!

                        Jehanne de Wodeford (WEST)
                      • Francois Leclerc
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                          > Or perhaps a graphic of a crossbowman drawing a bead on the viewer
                          > with the caption, "Feelest thou lucky today, varlet?"

                          Oh, I love that one.
                        • cwilson@mhmh.org
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                            "Let me introduce you to my 40 yard long sword."

                            -Caedmon
                          • Lillian Watson
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                              "Crossbowmen: for when you want to reach out and touch someone."

                              "Crossbowmen: for when you need to reach out and touch that special
                              someone."

                              Aibinn, an archer who respects crossbowmen
                            • atruemark@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                fleclerc@... writes:

                                > > Or perhaps a graphic of a crossbowman drawing a bead on the viewer
                                > > with the caption, "Feelest thou lucky today, varlet?"
                                >
                                > Oh, I love that one.

                                "My bolts fly faster than you can bolt"

                                Gorm

                                Both of these are very good - I can especially see the tee-shirt with the
                                "varlet" quote.

                                Andras Truemark

                              • cwilson@mhmh.org
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                  "Crossbowmen can hold it longer."

                                  -Caedmon
                                • Sam Cohen
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                    How about

                                    "Long bow... we don't need no stinken' longbow"

                                    Demetrious

                                  • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                      At 8:17 AM 6/7/02 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:
                                      >"Speed is everything."
                                      >
                                      >-Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed round

                                      Which is an argument for longbow (handbow) vs. crossbow.

                                      I would argue for "accuracy is everything" (with adequate speed of course).

                                      James
                                      jotl@...
                                    • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                        At 1:28 PM 6/7/02 -0400, cwilson@... wrote:
                                        >"Crossbowmen can hold it longer."
                                        >
                                        >-Caedmon

                                        I like this one... ;-)

                                        James
                                        jotl@...
                                      • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                          >cwilson@... wrote:
                                          >"Crossbowmen can hold it longer."
                                          >-Caedmon

                                          I don't know about that one Caedmon, It kind of makes crossbowman sound
                                          like they get constipated a lot, or suffer from uremic poisoning.
                                          I understand your sentiment, but think of what others and mundanes
                                          will think it means.
                                          -Geoffrei (a dyed in the wool longbowman, but thinks crossbows are just
                                          fine for those that want to shoot them)

                                        • icetiger1
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                            Who said that originally, the french at Agincourt?

                                            Sam Cohen wrote:

                                            > How about
                                            >
                                            > "Long bow... we don't need no stinken' longbow"
                                            >
                                            > Demetrious

                                          • james kennedy
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                              How about "The crossbow, for when you really want to reach out and
                                              touch something."

                                              cnut

                                              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                                            • Bruce R. Gordon
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                                Greetings
                                                Naah, much earlier than Agincourt; they said it at Crecy and Poitiers.
                                                And the Scots said it at Falkirk, Dupplin Muir, and Halidon Hill even
                                                earlier than that...

                                                Nigel

                                                --
                                                Ex Tenebra, Lux

                                              • Janet Thompson
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                                  I saw a bumper sticker: "I don't have a quarrel with you...I have several
                                                  quarrels for you."

                                                  Maeve

                                                • conradvonzollern
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                                                    How exactly do you do that?

                                                    Conrad von Zollern

                                                    --- In SCA-Archery@y..., cwilson@m... wrote:

                                                    > "Speed is everything."
                                                    >
                                                    > -Caedmon, from a crossbowman who shoots 10 to 13 bolts in a speed
                                                    round
                                                  • Scott L Hecathorn
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                                      The way I teach people how to shoot timed rounds is to shoot for
                                                      accuracy, and speed will later evolve from it. Why shoot like a shotgun
                                                      if you can raise your score by shooting less.

                                                      Robert Thorne (who only shoots 7 bolts, but scores an average of 32
                                                      points)

                                                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                                                    • Allan B Zdarsky
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                                        How about "Never quarrel with a quarrel"
                                                        Aleksei

                                                        On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 23:36:04 -0400 Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                                        <crossbow@...> writes:
                                                        > Alright, I'm looking for a 'good crossbow quote', IE, something that a
                                                        > crossbowman would be proud to say, and perhaps wear on a T-Shirt.
                                                        > Similar to the T-Shirts sold at Pennsic, with the one that says:
                                                        "Archer -
                                                        > Go ahead run, you'll just die tired."
                                                        > And I'm drawing a blank.
                                                        > My (VERY bad) ideas that are coming to mind (but give you the
                                                        > general idea) are:
                                                        > "Accuracy is everything, speed is irrelevant." (The only one that
                                                        > sounds sorta good)
                                                        > "Draw-weight does matter."
                                                        > Anyone have a better one/ones?
                                                        >
                                                        > Siegfried

                                                        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                                        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                                                      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                                          The way I like to teach speed(for crossbows) is to get off as many as
                                                          possible to get the rythem(sp) down. Kind of like juggeling(sp). Then as
                                                          the rough spots smooth out with practice and your score will reach new
                                                          highs.

                                                          James Cunningham

                                                          > The way I teach people how to shoot timed rounds is to shoot for
                                                          > accuracy, and speed will later evolve from it. Why shoot like a shotgun
                                                          > if you can raise your score by shooting less.
                                                          >
                                                          > Robert Thorne (who only shoots 7 bolts, but scores an average of 32
                                                          > points)

                                                          > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                                          > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

                                                        • Jack Bradley
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                                            I think the French already used that one
                                                            Ragnar