Distraction at the line

  • cwilson@mhmh.org
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31 4:51 AM
      Godwin wrote, "But I also like the kidding and harrassing...it's just
      making you excercise focus, which is a part of training as well."

      When I get up to the line and I seriously focus on my shooting, I zone out.
      I don't hear or see anything else while I'm shooting.

      It also helps to have had a teacher who make it a point to distract
      you...like blowing in your ear. *chuckle* The last thing you need while
      shooting is a man standing at 6'2", graying, and blowing in your ear. If
      you can still shoot well after that, you know you are ready for archery.

      -Caedmon
    • Nest verch Tangwistel
      Message 2 of 12 , May 31 7:25 AM
        > Godwin wrote, "But I also like the kidding and harrassing...it's just
        > making you excercise focus, which is a part of training as well."
        >
        > When I get up to the line and I seriously focus on my shooting, I zone
        > out.
        > I don't hear or see anything else while I'm shooting.
        >
        > It also helps to have had a teacher who make it a point to distract
        > you...like blowing in your ear. *chuckle* The last thing you need
        > while
        > shooting is a man standing at 6'2", graying, and blowing in your ear.
        > If
        > you can still shoot well after that, you know you are ready for archery.

        I always seem to get the 250 pound men talking about modeling black latex
        thongs. I'll admit to being somewhat distracted by the mental picture.

        Nest

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • James De Warrenne
        Message 3 of 12 , May 31 7:49 AM
          MELON SCOOP!!!!!!! MELON SCOOP!!!!!!!

          I need to remove that part of the brain affected by this image!

          ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

          James

          Message 4 of 12 , May 31 7:51 AM
            Nest, I like you. Your posts are informative and amusing. But if you ever
            do that again, I will hunt you down and punish you mightily.

            -Caedmon
          • John Edgerton
            Message 5 of 12 , May 31 8:08 AM
              cwilson@... wrote:

              > Godwin wrote, "But I also like the kidding and harrassing...it's just
              > making you excercise focus, which is a part of training as well."
              >
              > When I get up to the line and I seriously focus on my shooting, I zone out.
              > I don't hear or see anything else while I'm shooting.
              >
              > It also helps to have had a teacher who make it a point to distract
              > you...like blowing in your ear. *chuckle* The last thing you need while
              > shooting is a man standing at 6'2", graying, and blowing in your ear. If
              > you can still shoot well after that, you know you are ready for archery.
              >
              > -Caedmon

              When I started shooting .. mumble.. mumble... years ago. My 40 yard range was
              in my back yard and my children's' swing set was just behind the shooting line.
              I learned to shoot with them and their friends playing and screaming behind me.
              I do not distract easily on the shooting line anymore. :-)

              Jon
            • Jack Bradley
              Message 6 of 12 , May 31 8:31 AM
                For 'dems that can't shoot with noise behind them Don't even think of going to
                the pied piper shoot at pennsic this year
                Ragnar

              • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 12 , May 31 8:36 AM
                  At practices it's fun to socialize and tease and all of those other
                  things, but once there is a round in progress or a shoot where the
                  scores count, I demand quiet on the line. I can shoot amid distractions
                  but others can't so out of respect to them I ask everyone to give them
                  some peace.
                  -Geoffrei

                • Carolus Eulenhorst
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 31 1:03 PM
                    I will second that. Even if the competition is informal, if scores are
                    to be reported it becomes serious business.

                    In service to the dream
                    Carolus von Eulenhorst
                    eulenhorst@...

                    On Fri, 31 May 2002 11:36:09 -0400 (EDT) jrosswebb1@... writes:
                    > At practices it's fun to socialize and tease and all of those other
                    > things, but once there is a round in progress or a shoot where the
                    > scores count, I demand quiet on the line. I can shoot amid
                    > distractions
                    > but others can't so out of respect to them I ask everyone to give
                    > them
                    > some peace.
                    > -Geoffrei

                    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                  • Talmon Parker
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 31 2:32 PM
                      Where do you find the light weight ones? and they are flesh colored thongs
                      Parker

                      >From: Nest verch Tangwistel <eastarch@...>
                      >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Distraction at the line
                      >Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 07:25:59 -0700 (PDT)
                      >

                      > > Godwin wrote, "But I also like the kidding and harrassing...it's just
                      > > making you excercise focus, which is a part of training as well."
                      > >
                      > > When I get up to the line and I seriously focus on my shooting, I zone
                      > > out.
                      > > I don't hear or see anything else while I'm shooting.
                      > >
                      > > It also helps to have had a teacher who make it a point to distract
                      > > you...like blowing in your ear. *chuckle* The last thing you need
                      > > while
                      > > shooting is a man standing at 6'2", graying, and blowing in your ear.
                      > > If
                      > > you can still shoot well after that, you know you are ready for archery.
                      >
                      >I always seem to get the 250 pound men talking about modeling black latex
                      >thongs. I'll admit to being somewhat distracted by the mental picture.
                      >
                      >Nest

                      >http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

                      DER BARON

                    • Scott L Hecathorn
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 31 8:26 PM
                        > It also helps to have had a teacher who make it a point to distract
                        > you...like blowing in your ear. *chuckle* The last thing you need
                        > while
                        > shooting is a man standing at 6'2", graying, and blowing in your
                        > ear. If
                        > you can still shoot well after that, you know you are ready for
                        > archery.

                        How about someone pulling armpit hair at a full draw, and still being
                        able to hit the 40 yarder? Not the best training in the world, but it
                        helped......well, no it didn't but he leaves me alone for the most part
                        now :)

                        Robert

                        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                      • belisarius2ca
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 1, 2002
                          --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Scott L Hecathorn <robert1015@j...> wrote:
                          > > It also helps to have had a teacher who make it a point to
                          distract
                          > > you...like blowing in your ear. *chuckle* The last thing you
                          need
                          > > while
                          > > shooting is a man standing at 6'2", graying, and blowing in your
                          > > ear. If
                          > > you can still shoot well after that, you know you are ready for
                          > > archery.
                          > >

                          > How about someone pulling armpit hair at a full draw, and still
                          being
                          > able to hit the 40 yarder? Not the best training in the world, but
                          it
                          > helped......well, no it didn't but he leaves me alone for the most
                          part
                          > now :)

                          In my humble opinion that is some one who is being a idiot and seeing
                          what they can get away with. That is not some one teaching on how to
                          concentrate and shoot better but a simple pain in the "comment
                          deleated." If some one did that to me instructor, friend or other
                          wise they would be lucky to get away with only a punch in the head.
                          Just my humble opinion.

                          Belisarius

                          > Robert

                          > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                          > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                        • abluehood
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002
                            --- In SCA-Archery@y..., John Edgerton <sirjon1@p...> wrote:

                            > When I started shooting .. mumble.. mumble... years ago. My 40 yard
                            range was
                            > in my back yard and my children's' swing set was just behind the
                            shooting line.
                            > I learned to shoot with them and their friends playing and
                            screaming behind me.
                            > I do not distract easily on the shooting line anymore. :-)
                            >
                            > Jon

                            When I was shooting in college, the marching band had their
                            practice on the next field behind the shooting line. We had to learn
                            an extreme amount of focus to shoot with a loud distraction like
                            that. This also explains why I have the urge to strangle anyone who
                            hums "Copacabana" while I'm shooting. The marching band played that
                            over and over and over...
                            -Allan Bluehood-