Zen in the Art of Archery Was: Re: [SCA-Archery] anti-traditional attitudes

  • Marko Peussa
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2002
      The book 'Zen in the Art of Archery' by Herrigel has caused so many
      misconceptions about kyudo (traditional japanese archery) in the west, that
      the damage done is slow to heal indeed. The most common of these
      misconseptions is that kyudo is 'zen archery'. The only one who thought like
      this was Herrigel itself. His kyudo teacher did not have any experience in
      Zen. Herrigel made it all up. Recently, the origins of the book have been
      researched. If you wish to learn the truth behind the book, please visit:

      http://www.kolumbus.fi/marko.peussa/links_files/myth.pdf

      Klaus
      Heki Ryu Insai Ha archer