Moving Targets

  • jspinks@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 35 , May 28, 2002
      We just had a double elimination tournament for Baronial Steppes Archer here in Ansteorra. The semifinal and final rounds included a deer and bear target mounted on a plywood sled that was pulled toward or away from the firing line using a rope and pulley arrangement. Archers on the line had the time it took the sled to travel between 10-20 and 40 yds at an angle in order to "make the kill". We did use the scoring lines on the target for competition purposes but can see other fun potential as well. In some cases, the Baron and Baroness would have gone without venison or would have had to sacrifice the archers for their own safety since the bear was charging. A spotting glass could also be used to stop the competition in the future once a "kill" was made. Several additional potential ideas have been thrown out using smaller targets as well.

      My question is what other ideas are out there for moving targets- especially period style? This competition has sparked quite a bit of interest in the idea of moving target archery and I was wondering if anyone else had other ideas for moving TARGET archery with real arrows. Have already had several suggestions involving spinning bicycle wheels, remote control toy cars to golf carts and would hear more ideas on this to stock my arsenal for future competitions.

      Jacques the Spink
      Steppes Archery Marshall
    • abluehood
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 2, 2002
        Personally I don't think its any one style of archer that dispises
        any other style. I think its just that there are /m/o/r/o/n/s/ snobs
        in any group that think they have the One True Way (tm) and that
        anyone who differes with them is a vile heretic.
        I used to shoot NAA style in college and was a scorekeeper in
        the '84 Olympics. A few of the shooters on the college team were
        hunter/field shooters, mostly compound, but one barebow recurve guy.
        There were also the Olympic purists who didn't want to touch another
        kind of bow. Me, I like to try anything, and I once proposed
        an "archery pentathalon" that would have tested each shooter with NAA
        target style, a traditional shoot, compound target, and field
        shooting and also mixing barebow with sights.
        One thing I've found out is that good shooting form is basic to
        all types of archery, fancy equipment won't compensate for bad form.
        A sport must rely on a good foundation in the basics before going on
        to more advanced shooting, no matter what equipment is used.
        Just my two soldi...
        -Allan Bluehood-