Quivers etc

  • BlkKnightI@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
      I have been observing for some time this exchange about Tracys statements and
      have refrained from comment for too long. We all now should know how it
      started so I will just address the key matters.

      >2. I comment that I know of extensive documentation gathered by
      Mistress Kendra. Off the top of my head the one particular item I
      recall involved the Bayeux Tapestry.<

      Your statement was shown faulty in that the archer (only one) in the
      Tapestry, indeed has a quiver on a belt around his shoulders, is using a back
      quiver. I and several others viewed the tapestry and that its a back quiver
      is questionable-Hardly documentation. We have yet to see the documentation
      mentioned over and over again. I too am interested in it.
      What we know at this point is that
      1.One archer in the Bayeux Tapestry Appears to have a belt and Quiver slung
      over his shoulders.
      2.

      >3. Tracy chimes in with a sarcastic, "If we want to believe that
      "back quivers"are period we will. And if you choose to emulate
      Errol Flynn movies, that too is a matter of choice. I prefer to
      research what they did do first and emulate that-not find
      justification for preference. "<

      Tracy was not being sarcastic at all. She had offered her scholarly
      observations and offered a conclusion. She stated the obvious, and I think
      her approach in attempting to be period should be commended.

      >4. Tracy gets beaten into the ground for both her snobbish attitude
      ("emulating Errorl Flynn movies") and for insulting Kendra's
      intelligence and my own ("if we want to believe back quivers are
      period we will") -- obviously *her* failure to find documentation
      means that Mistress Kendra's is suspect and I'm wrong for having
      the temerity to contradict her preconceived notions.<

      I am amused, she is neither "beaten to the ground," She has held herself well
      amid your namecalling, profanity, insult and infantile posts (you have
      certainly provide the documentation for that) and nor is she snobbish. She is
      far from that, I would know as I am her husband. She also did not insult
      Kendras intelligence (Kendra never said a thing on this list) but asked for
      documentation for your statements which you have failed to provide. I now
      question your intelligence. Her "notions" are not preconceived but based on
      scholarly study. So far...so Far mind you, noone else has found and offered
      sources or documentation on the "back quiver" either. Tracy has received
      numerous private E-mails reaffirming her statements and many apologizing for
      your behavior. On her behalf I thank you all. She no longer is considering
      leaving the list.

      >5. Straw breaks camel's back. List moves elsewhere.<
      Macsen<

      For all your hard work, you have done yourself dishonour buy your resentful
      childish babble which is apparent to all. As for the list moving...Vivat!
    • BLOODSNG@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
        oK HERE IT GOES , In the book A glossery of the construction decoration and
        use of arms and aror in all countries and in all times, ( no kiding that is
        the tidel). it has quite a few quivers in it hip, hourse, chariot, and
        back................also look at soe of the early statues an art og the greco
        roan times there are saples there also , for soe reason I reber a painting of
        heries with a back quiver but I do not have it here .............Blood
      • Deann E. Allen
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
          BlkKnightI@... wrote:

          > From: BlkKnightI@...
          [snip]
          > >2. I comment that I know of extensive documentation gathered by
          > Mistress Kendra. Off the top of my head the one particular item I
          > recall involved the Bayeux Tapestry.<
          >
          > Your statement was shown faulty in that the archer (only one) in
          > the Tapestry, indeed has a quiver on a belt around his shoulders,
          > is using a back quiver. I and several others viewed the tapestry
          > and that its a back quiver is questionable-Hardly documentation.

          Which in no way invalidates whatever other documentation was found
          by Mistress Kendra. Nor is Macsen's "statement" in any way "faulty,"
          his memory is merely incomplete.

          > We have yet to see the documentation mentioned over and over again.
          > I too am interested in it.

          As am I. Unfortunately, the only way to see the documentation would
          be to find Mistress Kendra, which no one, apparently, now knows how
          to do.

          > >3. Tracy chimes in with a sarcastic, "If we want to believe that
          > "back quivers"are period we will. And if you choose to emulate
          > Errol Flynn movies, that too is a matter of choice. I prefer to
          > research what they did do first and emulate that-not find
          > justification for preference. "<
          >
          > Tracy was not being sarcastic at all. She had offered her scholarly
          > observations and offered a conclusion. She stated the obvious, and
          > I think her approach in attempting to be period should be commended.

          It was sarcastic, completely uncalled-for, and a rather sorry example
          of both ad hominum and straw man arguments.

          Saying that anyone would start from a desire to believe in something
          and then set out to find documentation to prove it is perhaps the
          worst insult that can be offered anyone who does research. It would
          be just as easy -- and uncalled-for -- to claim that your wife set
          out to prove a belief that back quivers did not exist in period.

          The reference to Errol Flynn movies came from a gentle who offered
          the pattern for that back quiver to any who were interested. There
          was no claim whatsoever of it being either period or documentable.

          > She also did not insult Kendras intelligence (Kendra never said a
          > thing on this list) but asked for documentation for your statements
          > which you have failed to provide. I now question your intelligence.
          > Her "notions" are not preconceived but based on scholarly study. So
          > far...so Far mind you, noone else has found and offered sources or
          > documentation on the "back quiver" either.

          So far, as you say. That one person has not duplicated another's
          research often means only that A. it is not something that has come
          up as an item of interest, or B. access to the same sources is not
          available. To question that person's intelligence based on a third
          person's apparently *incomplete* scholarly research merely makes you
          appear biased.

          D.
          --
          100% pure, Grade A, American Mutt caffeine!
        • Elfwine
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
            I am astonishished that a society based on chivalry, and especially those on
            this list who are Peers, have remained silent when a Lord calls a Lady an
            "Asshole", and more. Had this conversation taken place anywhere else in the
            society, that Lord would surely have been called before a Court of Chivalry to
            answer for his breach in behavior. I thank those who came to BlkKnightI's Lady
            (Tracy) and offered encouragement, though I am disheartened that they did so
            privately.

            Tracy's statements, right or wrong, is NOT the issue here. It's the rude,
            vulgar language used toward a Lady, and Macsen's tantrum, which has landed us
            here without so much as a "peep" from the peers on this list-service. Whatever
            happened to morality? Let those who are here have the decency to stand up and be
            counted among those who will not tolerate this behavior.

            Now there may have been "private" e-mailing with Macsen reguarding this matter
            to which I am unaware. However, Tracy has a RIGHT to ask for, and recieve, a
            public apology. And that has not been forthcoming. In fact, Macsen was rather
            rude about that too.

            I'm done with this list if those remaining shrug the whole thing off with a
            "Well now... what were we talking about?"

            >>--Elfwine-->
          • Deann E. Allen
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
              BLOODSNG@... wrote:

              > From: BLOODSNG@...
              >
              > oK HERE IT GOES , In the book A glossery of the construction
              > decoration and use of arms and aror in all countries and in all
              > times, ( no kiding that is the tidel). it has quite a few quivers
              > in it hip, hourse, chariot, and back....
              [snip]

              Thank you. Filed for reference. :)

              D.
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
                Elfwine wrote:
                [snip]
                > Tracy's statements, right or wrong, is NOT the issue here. It's the
                > rude, vulgar language used toward a Lady, and Macsen's tantrum, which
                > has landed us here without so much as a "peep" from the peers on this
                > list-service. Whatever happened to morality? Let those who are here
                > have the decency to stand up and be counted among those who will not
                > tolerate this behavior.
                >
                > Now there may have been "private" e-mailing with Macsen reguarding
                > this matter to which I am unaware. However, Tracy has a RIGHT to ask
                > for, and recieve, a public apology. And that has not been forthcoming.
                > In fact, Macsen was rather rude about that too.

                I must disagree, Elfwine. Tracy's comments ARE part of the issue.
                She made accusations of fabricating documentation to justify
                preconceived beliefs, and of emulating Errol Flynn movies instead of
                doing proper research. These remarks were uncalled-for and rude in
                themselves. That she made these remarks while -- knowingly or not --
                virtually standing in Macsen's house makes it even more inexcusable.

                When two people are publicly rude to each other, you cannot in justice
                call for only one to publicly tender an apology. Gentle is as gentle
                does, Lord and Lady are titles of *courtesy,* and the strictures of
                courtesy apply equally to all.

                D.
              • Robert L Brunnemer
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
                  I am sorry I was not going to speak on this thread anymore, because it
                  has turned into a heated argument instead of being a helpful debate, but
                  I think that I must reply as a 3rd party here.

                  Then Dean wrote in response:
                  >>>Which in no way invalidates whatever other documentation was found
                  by Mistress Kendra. Nor is Macsen's "statement" in any way "faulty,"
                  his memory is merely incomplete.>>>

                  I read the original post that stated that their was "proof" on the
                  bayeau(sp?) tapestry of back quivers. If I remember (I may not be
                  totally correct, but I don't think that my mind is failing me that much)
                  that someone wrote that in a article, I don't think that it was Macsen,
                  without mentioning Mistress Kendra's documentation. The lady in question
                  (sorry I forget her name) then stated that the only thing that she could
                  find on the Bayeau(sp?) tapestry was a belt quiver around the shoulders.
                  (Which I would think would be a back quiver because it is on the back by
                  the way.) Then some people (if not many) took this as a personal attack,
                  because of some other things that she wrote in jest about Errol Fllynn
                  movies (which I didn't get) and about horses standing on their heads. (I
                  too thought that to be VERY funny. :-))

                  Really I think that all of this was just a GIGANTIC mis-understanding,
                  and could have been avoided, but really it seems that people had a bad
                  week, and thus all of a sudden here we are on One List. Remember thought
                  that a single straw can not break the camel's back. So as Macsen stated
                  "The straw that broke the camel's back" means that there had to have been
                  MANY other moments that Macsen was unhappy with all of the things that
                  had been going on.

                  <<<Saying that anyone would start from a desire to believe in something
                  and then set out to find documentation to prove it is perhaps the
                  worst insult that can be offered anyone who does research. It would
                  be just as easy -- and uncalled-for -- to claim that your wife set
                  out to prove a belief that back quivers did not exist in period.>>>

                  If this is really an attack than I am really messed up here. How are
                  things proved by documentation. I always thought that someone would want
                  to find something out, (whether something did or didn't happen, or was
                  used) look in a lot of books, and then prove or disprove something. From
                  the way I read this it sounds like to you as a researcher would have to
                  stumble onto things blindly and then say "Hey that is interesting I will
                  have to do it that way." Am I way off base or just reading this wrong.
                  (By the way I am not being sarcastic, I am truly curious about this.)

                  I am not trying to upset or insult anyone here, I am just stating my
                  opinion as a person who really has nothing to do with the conversation,
                  and is therefore an unconcerned third party.

                  Also a bit of advice from a 17 year old that you could take or tell me to
                  go to hell with. I have always thought that when people start to argue
                  with no real purpose (that is not debating, but name calling arguing) it
                  is best to step back a minute think about it from the other point of
                  view, and then try to resolve the issue. Again read the upset insult
                  part above.

                  Have a nice day!!!
                  Robert
                  Hugewheels@...
                  Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

                • lester
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
                    As a new member of this list, enough is enough. If Macen is not going to
                    apologize for his rudeness, so be it. but lets get on with something
                    constructive.

                    I wish to learn the correct way to make arrows for war, such as where do I
                    get the tips - can they be made - are wooden arrows allowed, if not what
                    type are allowed. Where on the web (SCA) can I find this information

                    Thanks

                    Ifer de Leycester

                    > > Tracy's statements, right or wrong, is NOT the issue here. It's the
                    > > rude, vulgar language used toward a Lady, and Macsen's tantrum, which
                    > > has landed us here without so much as a "peep" from the peers on this
                    > > list-service. Whatever happened to morality? Let those who are here
                    > > have the decency to stand up and be counted among those who will not
                    > > tolerate this behavior.
                    > >
                    > > Now there may have been "private" e-mailing with Macsen reguarding
                    > > this matter to which I am unaware. However, Tracy has a RIGHT to ask
                    > > for, and recieve, a public apology. And that has not been forthcoming.
                    > > In fact, Macsen was rather rude about that too.
                    >
                    > I must disagree, Elfwine. Tracy's comments ARE part of the issue.
                    > She made accusations of fabricating documentation to justify
                    > preconceived beliefs, and of emulating Errol Flynn movies instead of
                    > doing proper research. These remarks were uncalled-for and rude in
                    > themselves. That she made these remarks while -- knowingly or not --
                    > virtually standing in Macsen's house makes it even more inexcusable.
                    >
                    > When two people are publicly rude to each other, you cannot in justice
                    > call for only one to publicly tender an apology. Gentle is as gentle
                    > does, Lord and Lady are titles of *courtesy,* and the strictures of
                    > courtesy apply equally to all.
                    >
                    > D.

                    > ONElist: your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.

                  • Deann E. Allen
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
                      Robert L Brunnemer wrote:

                      > From: Robert L Brunnemer <hugewheels@...>
                      [snip]
                      > <<<Saying that anyone would start from a desire to believe in
                      > something and then set out to find documentation to prove it is
                      > perhaps the worst insult that can be offered anyone who does
                      > research. It would be just as easy -- and uncalled-for -- to
                      > claim that your wife set out to prove a belief that back quivers
                      > did not exist in period.>>>
                      >
                      > If this is really an attack than I am really messed up here. How
                      > are things proved by documentation. I always thought that someone
                      > would want to find something out, (whether something did or didn't
                      > happen, or was used) look in a lot of books, and then prove or
                      > disprove something. From the way I read this it sounds like to
                      > you as a researcher would have to stumble onto things blindly and
                      > then say "Hey that is interesting I will have to do it that way."
                      > Am I way off base or just reading this wrong. (By the way I am not
                      > being sarcastic, I am truly curious about this.)
                      >
                      > I am not trying to upset or insult anyone here, I am just stating
                      > my opinion as a person who really has nothing to do with the
                      > conversation, and is therefore an unconcerned third party.

                      Someone once said that the best way to lie is to tell only part of
                      the truth. Starting from a preconceived belief and setting out to
                      prove it entails ignoring any evidence you find that contradicts
                      the point you are trying to prove. In effect, if you did conduct
                      research in this manner, your results would be lies, because they
                      would not tell all the truth about what you found. That is why such
                      an accusation is an insult to anyone who conducts research.

                      As to whether Tracy's comments were meant in jest and were taken as
                      serious.... Well, that's why someone invented emoticons. When you
                      say something that is not to be taken seriously, adding a smile :)
                      or a wink ;) will make that clear to the reader. When such are
                      absent, it is usual to take the comment as being serious. Some
                      people eschew emoticons as being uncouth. I have found they mostly
                      enhance understanding, if used in moderation.

                      D.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                        In a message dated 7/31/99 1:01:24 AM, dallen@... writes:

                        >I must disagree, Elfwine. Tracy's comments ARE part of the issue.
                        >She made accusations of fabricating documentation to justify
                        >preconceived beliefs,

                        She made no accusations at all. Please re read the original post.

                        >and of emulating Errol Flynn movies instead of
                        >doing proper research.

                        She said that this all is OK with her.

                        >These remarks were uncalled-for and rude in
                        >themselves. That she made these remarks while -- knowingly or not --
                        >virtually standing in Macsen's house makes it even more inexcusable.

                        The list is not Macsens "house". Ifso he is certainly a rude host.
                        You have no idea what she meant and do you are presumptious to state anything
                        of the sort.
                        I was there when she wrote it. You are wrong in your presumptions of her
                        intent.
                        Richard
                      • Robert L Brunnemer
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                          Hallo!!!

                          Dean wrote:
                          <<< Starting from a preconceived belief and setting out to
                          prove it entails ignoring any evidence you find that contradicts
                          the point you are trying to prove. In effect, if you did conduct
                          research in this manner, your results would be lies, because they
                          would not tell all the truth about what you found.>>>

                          I am sorry, but this too does not sit well with me. There is something
                          about it that I find "fishy." It seems to me that the driving factor to
                          want to document something would be because someone would want to know if
                          it actually happened. I think that if someone was trying to gain a
                          monetary value from the said documentation then they would lie. But I
                          think that if the documentation was just on a knowledge gaining "journey"
                          than the documentation would be truthful, and all avenues would be
                          followed. So maybe you should look more into the motives of why someone
                          decided to prove so and so more than what they thought before hand? I
                          know that is confusing, but it is 1 am, and I am not completely thinking
                          straight. I think that is clear enough, but I am writing it, if you
                          don't understand please tell me and in the morning I will re-word it or
                          whatever. Again there is no offense intended by any of this, please
                          don't take it personally. And...

                          Have a nice day!!!
                          Robert
                          Hugewheels@...
                          Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

                        • Ramos & Aaminah
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                            Please remove me from the your list
                          • M&L Romanowski
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                              Another reference is the History Museum in Chicago. They have a back quiver
                              on display that I remember as being period. I recall being bummed that they
                              had the arrows in the quiver as opposed to having them displayed. (being
                              that I am a fletcher) my interest was more in the arrows, but I am really
                              sure that it was a back quiver and it was period. Had some really nifty
                              crossbows on display too.

                              A reference you can actually see!

                              Marcus Caruana.

                              "Deann E. Allen" wrote:

                              > From: "Deann E. Allen" <dallen@...>
                              >
                              > BLOODSNG@... wrote:
                              > >
                              > > From: BLOODSNG@...
                              > >
                              > > oK HERE IT GOES , In the book A glossery of the construction
                              > > decoration and use of arms and aror in all countries and in all
                              > > times, ( no kiding that is the tidel). it has quite a few quivers
                              > > in it hip, hourse, chariot, and back....
                              > [snip]
                              >
                              > Thank you. Filed for reference. :)
                              >
                              > D.
                              > --
                              > 100% pure, Grade A, American Mutt caffeine!

                              > Congratulations DALMATIANRESCUE. Our latest ONElist of the week.
                              > To see full story and submit YOUR ONElist story, go to
                              > http://www.onelist.com/info/ootw_19.html

                            • Karl Sandhoff
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                                Monetary gain or not Dean has a valid point here. If someone starts out
                                with a preconcieved position and wishes to prove the "correctness" of
                                that position and searches out references to prove it he is not
                                documenting the fact. The matter still stands that other documentation
                                which refutes that presented will often be ignored, conciously or
                                unconciously. This means that a blatently false position is being
                                present as true. If, on the other hand, a hypothesis is being tested,
                                all evidence positive or negative is presented thus proving the fact.
                                The difference here is that in the first case a position was taken and
                                then proved, in the second a question asked and then a position taken.
                                The second is the path of a true scholar and researcher. I've had to
                                learn this one the hard way in my training as an archaeologist. Thank
                                you to all on this list for the opportunity to have some very fine
                                academic debates.
                                Carolus von Eulenhorst

                                On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:14:12 -0700 Robert L Brunnemer
                                <hugewheels@...> writes:
                                >From: Robert L Brunnemer <hugewheels@...>
                                >
                                >Hallo!!!
                                >
                                >Dean wrote:
                                ><<< Starting from a preconceived belief and setting out to
                                >prove it entails ignoring any evidence you find that contradicts
                                >the point you are trying to prove. In effect, if you did conduct
                                >research in this manner, your results would be lies, because they
                                >would not tell all the truth about what you found.>>> I am sorry, but
                                >this too does not sit well with me. There is something about it that
                                >I find "fishy." It seems to me that the driving factor to want to
                                >document something would be because someone would want to know if it
                                >actually happened. I think that if someone was trying to gain a
                                >monetary value from the said documentation then they would lie. But I
                                >think that if the documentation was just on a knowledge gaining
                                >"journey" than the documentation would be truthful, and all avenues
                                >would be followed. So maybe you should look more into the motives of
                                >why someone decided to prove so and so more than what they thought
                                >before hand? I know that is confusing, but it is 1 am, and I am not
                                >completely thinking straight. I think that is clear enough, but I am
                                >writing it, if you don't understand please tell me and in the morning
                                >I will re-word it or
                                >whatever. Again there is no offense intended by any of this, please
                                >don't take it personally. And...
                                >
                                >Have a nice day!!!
                                >Robert
                                >Hugewheels@... Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!
                                >Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail,
                                >and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web:
                                >http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ---------------------------
                                >ONElist Sponsor ---------------------------- ONElist members are
                                >using Shared Files in great ways! http://www.onelist.com Are you? If
                                >not, see our homepage for details.
                                >Mountain, East Kingdom

                              • Ian Gourdon
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                                  Marcus,
                                  Oooh! I'm 'all a-quiver'. I may have 'shot my bolt'. Etc.
                                  Any chance of getting the specifics sometime? It would be very nice to
                                  know exactly what they've got, eh? And the arrows; sure you don't need
                                  to beg a look at the artifact? Since you're part of 'the Greenwood
                                  Group, a Medieval research organization'...
                                  Ian Gourdon

                                  M&L Romanowski wrote:

                                  > From: M&L Romanowski <leanner@...>
                                  >
                                  > Another reference is the History Museum in Chicago. They have a back quiver
                                  > on display that I remember as being period. I recall being bummed that they
                                  > had the arrows in the quiver as opposed to having them displayed. (being
                                  > that I am a fletcher) my interest was more in the arrows, but I am really
                                  > sure that it was a back quiver and it was period. Had some really nifty
                                  > crossbows on display too.
                                  >
                                  > A reference you can actually see!
                                  >
                                  > Marcus Caruana.
                                  >
                                  > "Deann E. Allen" wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > From: "Deann E. Allen" <dallen@...>
                                  > >
                                  > > BLOODSNG@... wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > From: BLOODSNG@...
                                  > > >
                                  > > > oK HERE IT GOES , In the book A glossery of the construction
                                  > > > decoration and use of arms and aror in all countries and in all
                                  > > > times, ( no kiding that is the tidel). it has quite a few quivers
                                  > > > in it hip, hourse, chariot, and back....
                                  > > [snip]
                                  > >
                                  > > Thank you. Filed for reference. :)
                                  > >
                                  > > D.
                                  > > --
                                  > > 100% pure, Grade A, American Mutt caffeine!

                                  > > Congratulations DALMATIANRESCUE. Our latest ONElist of the week.
                                  > > To see full story and submit YOUR ONElist story, go to
                                  > > http://www.onelist.com/info/ootw_19.html

                                  > > of Barony Beyond the Mountain, East Kingdom

                                  > ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
                                  > For details and to order, go to:
                                  > http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html

                                  Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
                                  - Companion of the order of the Greenwood Company
                                  http://web.raex.com/~agincort
                                • BlkKnightI@xxx.xxx
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                                    In a message dated 7/31/99 4:46:45 PM, leanner@... writes:

                                    >Another reference is the History Museum in Chicago. They have a back quiver
                                    >on display that I remember as being period. I recall being bummed that they
                                    >had the arrows in the quiver as opposed to having them displayed. (being
                                    >that I am a fletcher) my interest was more in the arrows, but I am really
                                    >sure that it was a back quiver and it was period. Had some really nifty
                                    >crossbows on display too.

                                    >A reference you can actually see!>

                                    Thanks. I am wondering if you could be more specfic as to which museum you've
                                    seen this in. I would like to persue your find but there are numerous history
                                    museums in Chicago.
                                    Do you remember what time period this artifact was from and where?

                                    Richard