Re: [SCA-Archery] Mundane Laws and Crossbows

  • Hugh Prescott
    Message 1 of 42 , May 1 11:05 AM
      More on the Illinois situation and probably a national thing.

      Crossbows are considered a weapon according to mundane law in most states.

      Illinois and most other states have the "weapon on or near a school" laws
      embedded in the "no drugs within 1000 feet of a school" laws and these do
      apply to crossbows. Driving on a street within 1000 feet of a school with a
      crossbow in the trunk is a violation with heavy fines and prison time. O,
      yes, they can also seize the vehicle and anything else in it.

      In recent past we had a high schooler suspended for a year for having three
      unfired 22 cal rim fire cartridges in his coat pocket while on school
      property. He lives on a farm and ran trap lines before and after school.
      Forgot to clean his jacket pockets before leaving for school. Gun was at his
      home in it's usual storage place. School & police pounded on the "no
      tolerance" policy.

      then

      One of the local "important / rich people" son thought he picked up his
      camping back pack but "got his dads instead" and had a loaded 9mm pistol
      fall out on school property as they were loading the school bus for a
      weekend camping event. Still in school, authorities accepted the story and
      it may well have been true.

      Recently a middle school teacher found one brass expended cartridge, no
      bullet, no powder and fired primer in a school hallway during the school
      day. Did everything but strip searches of all the students and found nothing
      but lost a day of school over it.

      Selective enforcement? Neither kid had been in any trouble before or since.

      Our high school staff called in the local police, county sheriff, special
      drug task force and state police all with K-9s who sealed the campus for a
      total (every thing but strip and body cavity) search. Searched all teachers
      and staff. Made the students open their book bages on the floor beside their
      desk and let the dogs sniff down student and bags. Of course there was no
      mental trauma as the result of being physically restrained from leaving the
      class room they were in for most of a day. Had to have a law officer escort
      you to / from and watch them while using the crapper. Several outside
      service persons (copier, office products, computer etc) were also detained
      for most of the day also. Also searched all vehicles on school property.

      Net result of no drugs, no alcohol, no guns, no knives, nothing.

      I was so dammed proud of the students!!!!

      Is an ugly situation and the reason I quit doing school demo. Never had a
      problem develop over the 10 years I did this but when I asked for an invite
      on school letterhead acknowledging that we would be bringing live steel and
      crossbow replicas as part of the demo they refused so we also did.

      Hugh
    • wyvern@megahits.com
      Message 42 of 42 , May 2 7:56 PM
        On 3 May 2002 at 1:43, hanhebin wrote:

        > I would recheck these facts because unless you have some kind of
        > special permit you can still be cited for illegally tranporting a
        > weapon to and from a practice. Here in Utah transporting a strung
        > crossbow and bolts even in the trunk of your car is classified as
        > transporting a loaded weapon.

        I was commenting only on CT laws -- YMMV. =)

        YIS,
        Macsen