Re: Crossbows

  • Daniel Stratton
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2002
      > Also, has anyone had trouble using a crossbow at a local range or archery
      club?

      Here in NE Ohio, our most convienient -membership- range, Wingfoot
      Bowhunters, bans them for insurance reasons as their corporate sponsor
      (Goodyear) wrote up their charter that way long ago. We've discussed it with
      them for event purposes, but they're stuck with it, though they seem as
      though they would be willing to make the allowance otherwise. The public
      ranges we use all allow them. Ohio doesn't seem to have a problem with them
      for hunting season.
      I have been warned that West Virginia bans them completely, and I think the
      SCA has a problem, though we may ignore it, at WV events, because of that.
      Anyone from Aethelmearc?
      Pennsic (Pennsylvania) hasn't had any problem with crossbows, though I don't
      know what the rule is that affects hunting there.
      Ian Gourdon
    • Lewis Tanzos
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2002
        > Pennsic (Pennsylvania) hasn't had any problem with crossbows, though
        > I don't know what the rule is that affects hunting there.

        I'm a resident of PA, so I was curious. So I went and looked online.

        I can't find anything about use or transport for target archery,
        except that there's a bit that says that discharging one within 150
        feet of a house is a criminal act.

        With regards to hunting: as far as I can tell, searching through the
        State code, crossbows are only allowed for people with certain medical
        disabilities. Also, they must be between 125 and 200 pounds to be
        legal to hunt with.

        - Istvan
      • Michael Scherrer
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1, 2002
          In Missouri, the cross bow is place as a fire arm during the deer hunting
          season here. Seeing the modern Cross bows, I can understand that.
          Thomas

          >From: "Daniel Stratton" <agincort@...>
          >To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Crossbows
          >Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 14:09:37 -0400
          >
          > > Also, has anyone had trouble using a crossbow at a local range or
          >archery
          >club?
          >
          >Here in NE Ohio, our most convienient -membership- range, Wingfoot
          >Bowhunters, bans them for insurance reasons as their corporate sponsor
          >(Goodyear) wrote up their charter that way long ago. We've discussed it
          >with
          >them for event purposes, but they're stuck with it, though they seem as
          >though they would be willing to make the allowance otherwise. The public
          >ranges we use all allow them. Ohio doesn't seem to have a problem with them
          >for hunting season.
          >I have been warned that West Virginia bans them completely, and I think the
          >SCA has a problem, though we may ignore it, at WV events, because of that.
          >Anyone from Aethelmearc?
          >Pennsic (Pennsylvania) hasn't had any problem with crossbows, though I
          >don't
          >know what the rule is that affects hunting there.
          >Ian Gourdon

        • John Edgerton
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 19, 2004
            I will be looking for a period style target crossbow to purchase. Can
            anyone provide a list of points of things to look for and ask about
            before buying one?

            Thanks for any help you can give

            Jon
          • John Edgerton
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 19, 2004
              In addition to my previous question ..... which period style crossbows
              and makers would you recommend and why?

              Jon
            • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 19, 2004
                At 02:01 PM 1/19/2004, John Edgerton wrote:
                >I will be looking for a period style target crossbow to purchase. Can
                >anyone provide a list of points of things to look for and ask about
                >before buying one?

                It depends on what you are wanting out of it:

                * Period 'look'
                * Truly Period Design
                * Accuracy
                * Speed
                etc

                I could go into more details in private if you wish, but I feel a little
                odd about it, since I do make them for sale :)

                Siegfried

              • Chad and Erin Wilson
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 19, 2004
                  Have in mind what poundage of bow you want. Do you want a light 90# xbow? They
                  can allow you a faster speed round and less stress on the arms over a day of
                  shooting. Do you want a 150# xbow? They have excellent accuracy at 40 yards
                  and beyond, but can put a strain in elbows and muscles.

                  -Caedmon
                • John Edgerton
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 19, 2004
                    There have been questions from other people as well, as to what I am
                    looking for in a crossbow. So ...
                    Roller nut of Delrin, etc with steel insert
                    Roller nut with side plates, not laced in.
                    Bow irons and trigger of iron or brass
                    Maybe a rear sight
                    I am open as to the style and period of the stock
                    Steel prod
                    125 to 175 pound draw, accuracy at longer range. Giving speed up for
                    accuracy. I have no problem cocking 150 lb.
                    I want at least a period "look" and as much "true period design" as my
                    budget would allow. Budget is about 300. Not looking for carved stock,
                    engraved brass, or fancy inlay. Just a plain, well made, accurate
                    crossbow.

                    Jon

                    Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:

                    >At 02:01 PM 1/19/2004, John Edgerton wrote:
                    >
                    >>I will be looking for a period style target crossbow to purchase. Can
                    >>anyone provide a list of points of things to look for and ask about
                    >>before buying one?
                    >>

                    >It depends on what you are wanting out of it:
                    >
                    >* Period 'look'
                    >* Truly Period Design
                    >* Accuracy
                    >* Speed
                    >etc
                    >
                    >I could go into more details in private if you wish, but I feel a little
                    >odd about it, since I do make them for sale :)
                    >
                    >Siegfried

                    >THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust http://crossbows.biz/
                    >Barony of Highland Foorde Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
                    >Kingdom of Atlantia Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery
                    >http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org/ http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >
                    >To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 19, 2004
                      Some Comments ...

                      >Roller nut with side plates, not laced in.

                      Ok, question of: Why?

                      Some people think that they can't service a crossbow without removable
                      sideplates. This isn't true (at least, as long as the crossbow is made
                      correctly).

                      The nut should be able to be rotated back and at a certain position lift
                      out (after cutting the lacing).

                      Those with removable side plates and pins have 2 problems (IMO)
                      A) They are less period in design ... 99% of rolling nut crossbows in
                      period were socket-based laced on ones.
                      B) The main reason for (A), is that they suffer one design flaw ... most of
                      the power of the crossbow is pulling forward on the pin ... putting ALOT of
                      stress on one small point. A socket-rotating rolling nut, puts it's stress
                      on the front wood of the socket, a much larger surface area, and therefore,
                      it doesn't wear out.

                      I should know, I have repaired 3 different 'pinned rolling nut' crossbows
                      because over time the pin would pull forward, either bending or moving
                      through wood, until the crossbow refuses to cock.

                      >Bow irons and trigger of iron or brass

                      I highly reccomend iron there, for stability, strength, and periodness.

                      >Maybe a rear sight

                      I reccomend making your own for this. Make something simple and play and
                      see if you like it, then keep modifying as you see fit. Or you might find
                      that you prefer to not use one.

                      >Steel prod
                      >125 to 175 pound draw, accuracy at longer range. Giving speed up for
                      >accuracy. I have no problem cocking 150 lb.

                      I'd reccomend between 125 and 150 then... above that starts to get rough.

                      Siegfried

                    • John Edgerton
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 19, 2004
                        That is the kind of information I am looking for. :-) I had thought
                        that the side plates would make it eaiser to replace the nut at a later
                        date. But, I would rather do without pin failure.

                        Jon

                        Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:

                        >Some Comments ...
                        >
                        >>Roller nut with side plates, not laced in.
                        >>

                        >Ok, question of: Why?
                        >
                        >Some people think that they can't service a crossbow without removable
                        >sideplates. This isn't true (at least, as long as the crossbow is made
                        >correctly).
                        >
                        >The nut should be able to be rotated back and at a certain position lift
                        >out (after cutting the lacing).
                        >
                        >Those with removable side plates and pins have 2 problems (IMO)
                        >A) They are less period in design ... 99% of rolling nut crossbows in
                        >period were socket-based laced on ones.
                        >B) The main reason for (A), is that they suffer one design flaw ... most of
                        >the power of the crossbow is pulling forward on the pin ... putting ALOT of
                        >stress on one small point. A socket-rotating rolling nut, puts it's stress
                        >on the front wood of the socket, a much larger surface area, and therefore,
                        >it doesn't wear out.
                        >
                        >I should know, I have repaired 3 different 'pinned rolling nut' crossbows
                        >because over time the pin would pull forward, either bending or moving
                        >through wood, until the crossbow refuses to cock.
                        >
                        >>Bow irons and trigger of iron or brass
                        >>

                        >I highly reccomend iron there, for stability, strength, and periodness.
                        >
                        >>Maybe a rear sight
                        >>

                        >I reccomend making your own for this. Make something simple and play and
                        >see if you like it, then keep modifying as you see fit. Or you might find
                        >that you prefer to not use one.
                        >
                        >>Steel prod
                        >>125 to 175 pound draw, accuracy at longer range. Giving speed up for
                        >>accuracy. I have no problem cocking 150 lb.
                        >>

                        >I'd reccomend between 125 and 150 then... above that starts to get rough.
                        >
                        >Siegfried

                      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 19, 2004
                          You can have a roller nut and side plates without using an axe or lacing for
                          the nut to turn on. The nut has to be designed without the flat area behind
                          the ears. You do want iron bow irons to hold the prod they take a lot of
                          beating form being retighted.

                          I have never had my hands on a true "socket-based" crossbow. The ones I
                          have seen have had the hole for the roller nut drilled though the side of
                          the stock, then wood side plates glued on. Doing it the other way with
                          antler blocks on the front and back of the roller nut is hard, expensive,
                          and not as durable... though very period.

                          James Cunningham

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 20, 2004
                            There a several of you on this list with good crossbow knowledge. So, I
                            have a few more questions.

                            Which prod is better for accuracy ..... steel, fiberglass, aluminum,
                            wood, etc.? What are the best and worst points of each?

                            What is the best shape for the prod .... straight or recurved?

                            What material is best for the rolling nut and how should it be mounted
                            in the stock?

                            Should the stock be one piece of wood or is laminated better?

                            Should the track have a deep slot for three fletch or is two fletch just
                            as accurate with a shallow slot?

                            Which are more accurate ... short or long bolts?

                            Is there a stock style that is more accurate to shoot and is still period?

                            Those of you that are using some of the SCA made crossbows, what are
                            your opinions of them?

                            How would you describe your idea of the perfect crossbow for accurate
                            target shooting?

                            I know I will think of more questions later. ;-)

                            Jon
                          • Carolus Eulenhorst
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 20, 2004
                              Since you make them professionally and I know you to be an honourable
                              gentle I suggest that you are the perfect source to give us a brief
                              primer of what to look for to judge if a crossbow is well made and what
                              features should be present or absent to make it period.
                              Carolus

                              On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:12:42 -0500 Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                              <crossbow@...> writes:
                              > At 02:01 PM 1/19/2004, John Edgerton wrote:
                              > >I will be looking for a period style target crossbow to purchase.
                              > Can
                              > >anyone provide a list of points of things to look for and ask
                              > about
                              > >before buying one?
                              >
                              > It depends on what you are wanting out of it:
                              >
                              > * Period 'look'
                              > * Truly Period Design
                              > * Accuracy
                              > * Speed
                              > etc
                              >
                              > I could go into more details in private if you wish, but I feel a
                              > little
                              > odd about it, since I do make them for sale :)
                              >
                              > Siegfried

                              Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                            • Carolus Eulenhorst
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 20, 2004
                                I have been using floating nuts (no axial pin) with removable side plates
                                very successfully. The only caution here is to make sure the cavity is
                                closely fitted to the nut and well polished on at least the front half to
                                give a smooth bearing surface. Even better if it is lined with a thin
                                layer of silicon brass.
                                Carolus

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 20, 2004
                                  A few notes below:
                                  Carolus

                                  On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:12:15 -0800 John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
                                  writes:
                                  > There a several of you on this list with good crossbow knowledge.
                                  > So, I
                                  > have a few more questions.
                                  >
                                  > Which prod is better for accuracy ..... steel, fiberglass, aluminum,
                                  >
                                  > wood, etc.? What are the best and worst points of each?

                                  As far as accuracy per se probably all the same. The difference comes in
                                  modulus of elasticity, that is how fast it returns to its original shape.
                                  Steel is the slowest, solid fiberglass and aluminum next, laminiated
                                  wood and composite construction next (also most period but harder to find
                                  or make really needs truly custom work and probably out of the price
                                  range you quoted), and modern laminated fiberglass and carbonglass come

                                  > What is the best shape for the prod .... straight or recurved?

                                  Recurve

                                  > What material is best for the rolling nut and how should it be
                                  > mounted
                                  > in the stock?
                                  >
                                  > Should the stock be one piece of wood or is laminated better?
                                  >
                                  > Should the track have a deep slot for three fletch or is two fletch
                                  > just
                                  > as accurate with a shallow slot?

                                  Two fletch seems just fine. My bows don't even have a slot, just a guide
                                  at the front end. I personally think this gives the best accuracy as it
                                  allows the bolt to float between the guide and the string and lets
                                  dynamic balancing take effect.

                                  > Which are more accurate ... short or long bolts?

                                  Depends on weight and how they match your crossbow. Like handbow
                                  equipment, you'll probably have to experiment unless the maker has done
                                  this testing and can give you a recommendation.

                                  > Is there a stock style that is more accurate to shoot and is still
                                  > period?
                                  >
                                  > Those of you that are using some of the SCA made crossbows, what are
                                  >
                                  > your opinions of them?

                                  I think the quality and performance ranges from excellent to mediocre
                                  depending on the maker and (even sometimes) the crossbow itself. Of
                                  course, this is true of products from most sources.

                                  > How would you describe your idea of the perfect crossbow for
                                  > accurate
                                  > target shooting?

                                  I won't go there because we then get into modern crossbows and that
                                  technology really has no place in our game.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 20, 2004
                                    >Which prod is better for accuracy ..... steel, fiberglass, aluminum,
                                    >wood, etc.? What are the best and worst points of each?
                                    >
                                    >What is the best shape for the prod .... straight or recurved?

                                    For accuracy? They are all the same.

                                    The only difference here, is bolt speed/efficiency. A fiberglass prod is
                                    more efficient than an aluminum prod than a steel one. etc.

                                    Following are 'Siegfrieds opinions' on prod materials:

                                    * Steel - Slow, heavy, but solid and nigh indestructible. They will
                                    eventually break over time, but we are talking 3-4 years of HEAVY usage
                                    before that. Very period (for the late period bows)

                                    * Aluminum - Fast, Light. Doesn't really look period (In my opinion, TOO
                                    bright and shiny). Most important to me however, is that I have never
                                    known an Aluminum prod to last. I wore one out in less than 1 season of
                                    heavy shooting (note: was shooting nonstop for 8 hours a week that
                                    season). Now, I have heard people claim that these can be made to last
                                    (Talk to Max), but in my opinion, I've never met an aluminum prod that I
                                    liked yet. When making crossbows, I only use them if the person provides
                                    one to me and requests I use it.

                                    * Fiberglass - Fast, Light, REALLY indestructible ... can theoretically
                                    last 'forever', although like all things it will degrade over time. Not
                                    period in any sense of the word. The big drawback, is that it's shooting
                                    characteristics will change in the heat. You will often see fiberglass
                                    prod shooters throwing a towel over their bow between ends to keep the sun
                                    off it.

                                    * Wood - Fast, Light ... easily destructible :) Also, more importantly,
                                    it's hard to make a high poundage crossbow prod with just wood. The prod
                                    needs to start becoming so wide you might as well use a bow instead. It's
                                    one of the main reasons they moved to using composite prods. Composite
                                    prods are wonderful things, and I know noone who makes them for sale ... so
                                    I won't even go into them right now.

                                    >What material is best for the rolling nut and how should it be mounted
                                    >in the stock?

                                    For material, some people use brass or steel. But this makes an overly
                                    heavy nut that makes a 'sluggish' release.

                                    The two 'best' period options for a rolling nut, are horn, and wood.

                                    The wood is light and quick; however, cannot hold too much weight. I don't
                                    recommend them for bows over 100 lbs.

                                    Horn, is a great period material for a nut, being somewhat self-lubricating
                                    and strong. However, it has a bad tenancy to fail unexpectedly.

                                    Which is why, therefore, most/many SCA crossbow makers have gone to using
                                    Delrin as a 'horn substitute'. Delrin acts like horn, but is very strong.

                                    Another period material would be bone, but I have not played with this
                                    myself, nor seen anyone else who has.

                                    >Should the stock be one piece of wood or is laminated better?

                                    Doesn't really matter. What matters, is that the wood is a 'good strong'
                                    hardwood (ie, NOT poplar or soft maple -- stuff like oak, cherry, walnut,
                                    hard maple, etc)

                                    Also, the grain should be 'vertical', that is to say, running from bottom
                                    of crossbow to the top, so that once bound in (or iron'd in), the pressure
                                    is pulling across the grain. Otherwise, it stands a chance of cracking open.

                                    However, not to dispair, there are three options to work with the grain the
                                    'wrong way' and get away with it:

                                    A) Lightweight poundage
                                    B) Laminate two boards together, making a vertical strength seam.
                                    C) Insert a LARGE screw vertically into the wood, just behind the prod
                                    socket. This was done in some period bows to help hold the wood together.

                                    >Should the track have a deep slot for three fletch or is two fletch just
                                    >as accurate with a shallow slot?

                                    2 fletch is just as accurate, as long as you match your bolts well to your
                                    crossbow (takes some trial and error), and as long as you give a good
                                    angle/helical to your crossbow fletches.

                                    Also, 3 fletch with one in the groove, is not period. 3 fletch WAS
                                    period, but with 1 standing vertical. Period crossbows didn't have a
                                    fletch groove, that's a modern invention.

                                    >Which are more accurate ... short or long bolts?

                                    Depends on your crossbow. In general, you will find two benefits with
                                    long bolts. One is that they are more stable in flight on the
                                    average. Secondly, that they give you a better sight picture when aiming
                                    (having the point sitting out there farther).

                                    However, it all depends on the crossbow, they all have different tastes in
                                    ammo... I reccomend whatever crossbow you buy, to make yourself a selection
                                    of ammo. Different diameters, different weight tips, different
                                    lengths. Try them all and see what your crossbow likes best.

                                    >Is there a stock style that is more accurate to shoot and is still period?

                                    No, not really. In my opinion, accuracy is in the skill of the
                                    shooter. The ONLY possible consideration to that effect, is that some
                                    people like having a stock that curves down, to bring their eye more in
                                    line with the shelf, making a 'flatter' aiming profile. But that is
                                    personal preference.

                                    >Those of you that are using some of the SCA made crossbows, what are
                                    >your opinions of them?

                                    I love mine, of course, I made them :)

                                    >How would you describe your idea of the perfect crossbow for accurate
                                    >target shooting?

                                    http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/pointblanc.html The deluxe version of course

                                    But I prefer to have some skill in my crossbow shooting, and not something
                                    designed for shooting single hole accuracy at 20 yards ...

                                    BTW, that's totally illegal for SCA shooting, in multiple ways :)

                                    Siegfried
                                  • lindorie55
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 21, 2004
                                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                      <crossbow@f...> wrote:

                                      > >Which prod is better for accuracy ..... steel, fiberglass,
                                      aluminum,
                                      > >wood, etc.? What are the best and worst points of each?
                                      > >
                                      > >What is the best shape for the prod .... straight or recurved?
                                      >
                                      > For accuracy? They are all the same.
                                      >
                                      > The only difference here, is bolt speed/efficiency. A fiberglass
                                      prod is
                                      > more efficient than an aluminum prod than a steel one. etc.
                                      >
                                      > Following are 'Siegfrieds opinions' on prod materials:
                                      >
                                      > * Steel - Slow, heavy, but solid and nigh indestructible. They
                                      will
                                      > eventually break over time, but we are talking 3-4 years of HEAVY
                                      usage
                                      > before that. Very period (for the late period bows)

                                      If I may interject something here, my lord. I recently witnessed a
                                      steel prod, less than a year old, in fact I think it was less than 6
                                      months old, break during a speed round during a Royal Round at one of
                                      our practices. The crossbow was owned by an archer of some repute who
                                      took very good care of it. There had been no indications of failure
                                      before it suddenly broke while the crossbow was being cocked. No
                                      injuries except some bruised knuckles, thank goodness, but it was
                                      frightening to see and hear. The prod had been purchased from a
                                      reputable merchant who has supplied many prods to crossbow owners in
                                      our area.

                                      Linet
                                    • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 21, 2004
                                        >If I may interject something here, my lord. I recently witnessed a
                                        >steel prod, less than a year old, in fact I think it was less than 6
                                        >months old, break during a speed round during a Royal Round at one of
                                        >our practices. The crossbow was owned by an archer of some repute who
                                        >took very good care of it. There had been no indications of failure
                                        >before it suddenly broke while the crossbow was being cocked. No
                                        >injuries except some bruised knuckles, thank goodness, but it was
                                        >frightening to see and hear. The prod had been purchased from a
                                        >reputable merchant who has supplied many prods to crossbow owners in
                                        >our area.

                                        Well, a few things:

                                        A) This just goes to show to trust nothing. There can always be badly
                                        made items or abused items that will fail early.

                                        B) This is the reason why any steel/aluminum/etc prods, should be fitted
                                        with some device to keep the metal bits from flying. Personally I either
                                        use artifical sinew wrapped at various points down the prod, or I used a
                                        wrap of leather sewn on around the center part of the prod, as all
                                        breakages I have witness of metal crossbow prods happen at the point where
                                        the prod meets the stock.

                                        C) If you are referring to Master Gladius as the merchant, he had a bad
                                        batch of crossbow prods a while back which he recalled/replaced ... This
                                        may have been one of them. I had two of that bad batch break within the
                                        first few days of shooting.

                                        Siegfried

                                      • Scott Jaqua
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 21, 2004
                                          I'll donate what little knowledge I have on this topic.

                                          For a paper on the building of shorter, two fletch bolts, the how and why I
                                          do it, please check out the following page on my web site.

                                          http://sjaqua.tripod.com/bolts.htm

                                          Njall Olaf Hagerson

                                          Scott B. Jaqua
                                          -----------------------------
                                          The most import right of all, is that of free speech. Without that, all your
                                          other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say,
                                          but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
                                        • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 21, 2004
                                            At 11:25 AM 1/21/2004, Scott Jaqua wrote:
                                            >I'll donate what little knowledge I have on this topic.
                                            >
                                            >For a paper on the building of shorter, two fletch bolts, the how and why I
                                            >do it, please check out the following page on my web site.
                                            >
                                            >http://sjaqua.tripod.com/bolts.htm
                                            >
                                            >Njall Olaf Hagerson

                                            An excellent written paper Njall ...

                                            Mind if I make a few comments? (Well, I'm going to make them anyway, so I
                                            hope you don't mind)

                                            >2) Crossbows by definition are center shot. So issues of arrow spine, do
                                            >not effect crossbow bolts.

                                            Actually, they aren't center shot. Or if they are, they are illegal by SCA
                                            standards. They however, due to their shorter bolt length, shorter draw,
                                            and having a track/guide, simply don't mind spine nearly as much ...

                                            AS LONG AS, there is enough spine to keep the bolt from flexing, at all ...
                                            you want them solid. If someone was to make 28" bolts for their crossbow,
                                            they would start having to worry about spine.

                                            There is also the fact that the stiffness of the shaft increases as you cut
                                            it shorter ... at the shortness that bolts are cut (especially short
                                            bolts), they are extremely 'high spined'

                                            Personally, I always recommend buying the highest weighed spine shafts for
                                            your diameter ... at least a 'goodly spined' group. It never hurts.

                                            >The balance point can be almost anywhere, so long as it is forward of the
                                            >center of drag.

                                            I've actually found that with many crossbows, the farther forward the
                                            balance point, the better. Making it become more of a bullet with a
                                            streamer behind it in flight ... I use 165gr tips on my 11/32 :)

                                            >Select the lightest premium grade 5/16 shafts you can find.

                                            Just a note that 5/16 doesn't work for all crossbows ... some prefer 11/32
                                            or thicker ... YCMMV (Your Crossbow Mileage May Vary) Plus you can get
                                            heavier points for the 11/32, making potentially even more point heavy bolts.

                                            >If in cutting the point taper, you remove too much wood, toss the shaft in
                                            >the trash.
                                            >Don't be afraid to toss any bolts that still fall out of the group.

                                            I never recommend throwing any bolts into the trash. Keep them for the
                                            'over water' shoots, the 'target hidden between 3 rocks' shoots and the 'no
                                            backdrop, just miles of thorns if you miss' shoots. While that little bit
                                            of weight difference may affect getting 6 golds at 30yds as opposed to 3
                                            golds 3reds ... it doesn't matter that much when the target is a foam deer,
                                            and it's better to use the 'bad' bolts that you don't mind loosing.

                                            >However, if you spin the bolt too much you create excess drag. A slow bolt
                                            >is much more effected by cross winds and such.

                                            True ... but I'd personally rather have a very stable, heavy, long bolt
                                            that fires consistantly, than a 'fast' one, that might have other problems.

                                            I always err on the side of stability, which is why I go for longer bolts,
                                            with HEAVY tips, and a good strong fletch angle.

                                            Siegfried